NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Default Are T206 prices dropping?

I know this has been asked before but am i the only one noticing that in general T206 prices are weakening a bit? Last night I purchased a graded card on ebay and paid less than half what I expected to pay and there were several bidders for the card (paid 210 for something I thought would go for over 400). Additionally, over the past month I sold 3 cards on ebay and realized less than expected on all three.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I know this has been asked before but am i the only one noticing that in general T206 prices are weakening a bit? Last night I purchased a graded card on ebay and paid less than half what I expected to pay and there were several bidders for the card (paid 210 for something I thought would go for over 400). Additionally, over the past month I sold 3 cards on ebay and realized less than expected on all three.
I can confirm the price drop and posted about this last month. I sold quite a few cards over the last two months and got less than expected on over 80% of them compared to past sales.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:04 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default depends on condition

if you look at psa 4, 5s that sold today in the PWCC in ebay there were some record highs..
Old 12-03-2014, 04:34 AM
Aaron Rothschild

Default Every holiday season

I would have to disagree with the t206 dropping prices theory.

It seems to me that every year just after Thanksgiving there are some deals to be had on t206 cards on eBay. IMO that is caused by two factors.

1. Sellers are willing to take a lower price on a sale because they need holiday cash... This happens with most original memorabilia and cards this time of year, not just t206.

2. Buyers at this time of year often have to spend what would normally be hobby (baseball card) money on gifts for friends and loved ones. This lighter interest in auctions esp on eBay will allow for a steal at holiday time. This is only because most wives and girlfriends want something other than a new Walter Johnson or Ty Cobb for the holidays.

That said, prices for high end t206 (even mid grade 4 or 5) cards remain stable if not strong as was noted previously in this thread previously.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:54 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
I would have to disagree with the t206 dropping prices theory.

It seems to me that every year just after Thanksgiving there are some deals to be had on t206 cards on eBay. IMO that is caused by two factors.

1. Sellers are willing to take a lower price on a sale because they need holiday cash... This happens with most original memorabilia and cards this time of year, not just t206.

2. Buyers at this time of year often have to spend what would normally be hobby (baseball card) money on gifts for friends and loved ones. This lighter interest in auctions esp on eBay will allow for a steal at holiday time. This is only because most wives and girlfriends want something other than a new Walter Johnson or Ty Cobb for the holidays.

That said, prices for high end t206 (even mid grade 4 or 5) cards remain stable if not strong as was noted previously in this thread previously.

My wife's getting a Johnson portrait for xmas whether she wants it or not!!!!
Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
My wife's getting a Johnson portrait for xmas whether she wants it or not!!!!
Do you mean a portrait of YOUR "Johnson"?

Tom C
Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 AM
Mike

Default Great minds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Do you mean a portrait of YOUR "Johnson"?

Tom C
Funny, Tom ... that's exactly the same thought I had on reading the post. We won't talk about the pose
Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Trae Regan

Hahahah

Last edited by T206.org; 12-03-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 AM
Barry Arnold

Default price drop

It looks like they have a bit of the volatility of the stock market right now.
Still, I believe that the beta is no more than 20.

best,
barry
Old 12-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Bobby Binder

At least the Johnson Portrait is a lot easier to get then the Johnson Pitching.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:07 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
It looks like they have a bit of the volatility of the stock market right now.
Still, I believe that the beta is no more than 20.

best,
barry
You mean the vol (volatility) could be 20 not the beta correct? Also, a 20 vol (abbreviated), would actually be a volatility measure of .20 The markets beta is 1.00 and the current implied at the money volatility of regular december spx options is 9.5 while the vix is 12.40.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 12-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Fred

As JD would probably say "every chick wants a Polar Bear Johnson"....
Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Aaron Rothschild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
As JD would probably say "every chick wants a Polar Bear Johnson"....
I actually hear the girls want a Sovereign Johnson... So they can brag to their friends.

That said, in India with a population over 1.25 billion it is safe to assume the Hindu Johnson is also quite popular.

(No offense intended to our Indian friends)
Old 12-07-2014, 04:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I hope you were looking at the Sports Cards Plus auction last night. I saw some T206s with common backs bringing absolutely crazy money...
Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I hope you were looking at the Sports Cards Plus auction last night. I saw some T206s with common backs bringing absolutely crazy money...

Man, there were a TON of T206's going last night.

Not sure if prices are going up, but they certainly aren't going down.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Glyn Parson

Default I felt

many of the T206 cards in the wheatland Auction brought good money. Last night also.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have found that T206s are somewhat seasonal. Not dramatically, but on both the T205 and T206 sets when I was working on them I remember thinking...gosh, they're going up...but then they would settle down. Rarities and key HOFers somewhat less.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:36 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I have found that T206s are somewhat seasonal. Not dramatically, but on both the T205 and T206 sets when I was working on them I remember thinking...gosh, they're going up...but then they would settle down. Rarities and key HOFers somewhat less.
I agree with this statement. I anecdotally notice slight drop in demand / interest at the end of the baseball season until early spring. We are in the heart of football season right now so a lot of casual / part-time collectors aren't thinking about baseball cards.