NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Baseball & football 14" Replica Promo Bobbing Head dolls now avalable

Hi,
My name is Joe Marasco and for all you baseball and football bobbing head collectors, I offer 14" tall, custom made - ceramic Bobbing Head dolls of your favorite team. They are similar to the PROMOs or DISPLAY MODEL dolls that existed for football in the early 1960's. There were 14 different teams that had football promos and Baseball only had a one for the NY Yankees. Please contact me if you have any questions= hknodder@frontiernet.net

REDS and both NY Yankees promos - finished.jpg

Blackface Yankees promo + original blackface doll (1).jpg

Cardinals and Dodgers promos - finished 003.jpg

DISPLAY - B - NEW PICS -- SIDE (2).jpg

real football promo and Dodgers promo comparison (1).jpg
Old 01-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Is this a paid advertisement or simply a BST listing in the wrong section?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Banned

neither ... it’s a rerun from the weekend

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...93&postcount=9
Old 01-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Mike Dugan

They look great
Old 01-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Wondering if there are any licensing issues?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Default Purchased

I purchased the Dodgers and Vikings and could not be happier. Joe was friendly and very helpful along the way. I would highly recommend him for this.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Rob

Are you an officially licensed merchandise provider for MLB and the NFL? Or are these just another in a long line of illegal replicas flooding the market?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I purchased the Dodgers and Vikings and could not be happier. Joe was friendly and very helpful along the way. I would highly recommend him for this.
Oh in that case...
Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This thread was done with approval from our executive management committee.
I didn't know when it would be posted so just missed it until now or would have posted sooner. Joe (hi Joe) and I had several emails before now. He is offering a service that not many others do so I felt letting him post here would help our members (and him). It is actually not a paid ad but was ok'd in advance. It is my (our committees) fault . And Joe seems like a nice guy who actually asked before just barging in. I wish him the best in his endeavors. Once again, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was probably chasing dogs.

Last edited by Leon; 01-02-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Sheesh????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Are you an officially licensed merchandise provider for MLB and the NFL? Or are these just another in a long line of illegal replicas flooding the market?
Wow, there is always a Grinch in the crowd. If you don’t like it don’t order one.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Wow, there is always a Grinch in the crowd. If you don’t like it don’t order one.
A grinch? That's funny. I asked a simple question...Are these legal or not?
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Default Hate the Game, nit the Player

Joe offers a quality service and quality products. I commend Leon and the committee for seeing beyond the trees and not getting stuck in thr licensing toilet bowl.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 PM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
A grinch? That's funny. I asked a simple question...Are these legal or not?
Oh really? Then why the sarcastic comment afterwards “Oh in that case...”?

Not very funny after all...
Old 01-02-2019, 09:33 PM
Rob

I’ve ordered one, as well. Who gives a rat’s ass if MLB is getting a cut? Not me.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I’ve ordered one, as well. Who gives a rat’s ass if MLB is getting a cut? Not me.
Perhaps MLB?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:49 AM

Default Promo nodders

Hello Joe,
Quick question. I had heard initially that you weren’t going to create promos for teams that were included in the initial original series. Did you change your mind or is that still the case? I ask because I see you showed a 49ers and I believe that was a team that originally had a promo.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:17 AM

Default sf Promo

Hi,
The SF 49'ers promo in my picture is REAL. I've had it a long time. It was the reason I created the replica football promo dolls. The real ones are so expensive. Being an mechanical engineer for Xerox before I retired, I knew what to do to reverse engineer it from a real doll. I have been restoring vintage bobbing head dolls for over 20 years so it seemed like a different way to use my skills. I thought the replica promos would be a great way for people to get their own promo without breaking the bank. I started with the AFL teams because they never made any for those teams. I had customers who liked my replicas and encouraged me to think about doing baseball. The replicas were intended as a way to stay busy in my retirement years and stay involved with bobbing head collectors. Dolls collectors are a different breed and most of them seem like great people.

if you are interested in a SF promo, as long as you want a uniform design that is NOT similar to the original, I would consider making one for you.

sorry for the long reply.

Last edited by nodderville; 01-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 AM

Nice work Joe.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodderville View Post
Hi,

if you are interested in a SF promo, as long as you want a uniform design that is NOT similar to the original, I would consider making one for you.
What a foolproof plan to prevent malfeasance on the secondary market. Everyone is so well versed on what uniforms existed originally, there's no chance these can be passed off as originals, right?

Why did you make them the exact same size?

I wonder if the leagues/teams care?
Old 01-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Rob

Rob -

a) I have a lot of respect for you.
b) I know you’re a good guy.
c) maybe as a Fballguy, you see this differently than I.

As a BB guy, I see these as a cool companion piece for my BB collection of vintage bobbin’ heads. They are something that really never existed. For that matter, I’m not sure the original baseball nodders were ever officially licensed either. I would bet we all have pennants that weren’t licensed.

Joe carves his initials into the bottom of the feet. I see the FB dolls as a chance for someone who doesn’t have $20+k to drop on a football promo to own the next best thing. A display piece and nothing more. Joe isn’t trying to fool anyone and I hope (perhaps naively) that no one tries to “flip” one as original.

In my book, both you and Joe are “good guys” in the hobby. On a related note, Joe is “refreshing” one of my standard bobbers. While some people might frown on this practice, I am appreciative of having the opportunity to own a better display piece.

Sincerely,
the other Rob
Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Rob

P.S. Joe’s promo dolls weigh 50% more than the originals and are made of a different material. No attempt to deceive, IMO.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Rob

Rob,

Good guy/bad guy doesn't have anything to do with it.

You and I approach this from a different perspective. I know you don't mind replicas...authorized or not. You've posted about pins you've bought for your collection from a seller that in my opinion has ransacked the pin hobby with his unauthorized reproductions. You're ok with it. I don't really collect pins, so while I think it's a shame, it doesn't impact me.

As someone who values the value of his collection and spends good money to add new pieces to it, I take exception with someone who threatens the value of my collection "in his spare time".

This is illegal. It's illegal to buy them by the way too. If you're cool with it, I guess we have different definitions of the word "good".
Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
P.S. Joe’s promo dolls weigh 50% more than the originals and are made of a different material. No attempt to deceive, IMO.
They could weigh 3 tons each. Still illegal.

Unless he has a license. Based on his refusal to address that question, I'm guessing not.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Rob

This is probably a discussion better had over beers . I’m gonna drop it.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Promo

This will also be my last post (I hope) about this topic. Joe has made these so that they are not identical, not only being heavier, they are different colors, they are stamped on the bottom with the date as well as the two large holes on the bottom are not on the originals. The original Kails were not authorized by the NFL nor the MLB either, so I don't see this as a licensing issue either. Rob, I respect your opinion but I don't think its worth getting your feathers ruffled. Image attached to show what I am talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.jpg (69.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:17 PM

Mr. Fballguy or Rob G.

If it helps with your concerns - and anyone else's, my replica promos (both football and baseball) are made of Ceramic. Not Paper Mache as were the originals. My baseball replicas weigh ~3.5 LBS and the football replicas weigh ~4.2 LBS. A real original football promo dolls weighs ~2.1 LBS. I realize that not everyone has had a real promo in their hands. That's why I made them with a ceramic material instead of paper mache. The weight and sound of my dolls should make people realize what they have. I could very easily have made them out of paper mache. I have tried my best to police what leaves my home. That is why I will not duplicate any of the 60's promo designs. It wouldn't be fair to the people who have spent $10K to $40K for a real football promo. Yes - I have had a Minnesota Vikings promo come to my house for repairs. The owner spent ~$40,000 for it.
Also, I engrave the bottoms of all the dolls and write my initials inside all the heads. These are custom made and I have nothing in stock. They are made to order for customers who want a unique item on their shelf. Isn't that what collection all about? Collecting what you like?

Last edited by nodderville; 01-16-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodderville View Post
Mr. Fballguy or Rob G.

If it helps with your concerns - and anyone else's, my replica promos (both football and baseball) are made of Ceramic. Not Paper Mache as were the originals. My baseball replicas weigh ~3.5 LBS and the football replicas weigh ~4.2 LBS. A real original football promo dolls weighs ~2.25 LBS. I realize that not everyone has had a real promo in their hands. That's why I had them with a ceramic material instead of paper mache. The weight and sound of my dolls should make people realize what they have. I could very easily have made them out of paper mache. I have tried my best to police what leaves my home. That is why I will not duplicate any existing promo design. It wouldn't be fair to the people who have spent $10K to $40K for a real football promo. Yes - I have had a Minnesota Vikings promo come to my house for repairs. The owner spent ~$40,000 for it.
Also, I engrave the bottoms of all the dolls and write my initials inside all the heads.
Do all of these details make what you're doing legal?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Chris Counts

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL or MLB took issue with these — and then started creating their own line of cheap jumbo nodders made overseas. I think it's totally reasonable for Rob No. 1 to be skeptical and ask questions, since there's so much deception out there in the marketplace. A lack of transparency is what makes me wary of the modern Helmar cards. On a side note, I suspect licensing issues sank a quite a few card sets over the years, including some we now cherish.