NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Default Perhaps, T206 Brown OLD MILL's are just printer's freaks ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Just another one of my wild theories....I consider the BROWN lettered Southern League OLD MILL backs as "printing
freaks"......and, not an intended design variation by American Lithographic.

1st....The backs of all T206 T-brands were pre-printed on sheets of cardboard and then the multi-color fronts were
printed on these sheets.
Consider the following: 42 of the 48 Southern Leaguers (SL) were issued in mid-1909 concurrent with the 150 Series
Subjects. These 42 SL were printed on the Brown HINDU backs and then on the OLD MILL (SL) backs.

Given all that, my conjecture is that during the transition from printing of the Brown HINDU cards to the OLD MILL, on
occasion the printer inadvertently applied the BROWN ink (instead of the BLACK ink) on the printing plates. Apparently,
this printing mistake was limited to an initial press run and very few Brown OLD MILL's got out into the marketplace.

Now, any one of you can punch holes in this theory if you can produce a Brown OLD MILL back on any one of the
following six SL cards. These six Texas League Subjects were issued after the production runs of the Brown HINDU
cards had ended.

Bastian
Miller (Dallas)
Smith (Shreveport)
Stark
Thebo
White (Houston)

OK, you lucky Net54er's that have Brown OLD MILL Southern Leaguers....why not show or tell us about your cards ?

TED Z

Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Ted,

that theory seems logical. Either way, these cards are super scarce and are the bees knees.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I agree, TRex.
They should go in the ERRATA section.

best,

barry

Old 10-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Sometimes I wonder if the old lithographers and printers are looking down at us and having a collective chuckle over all these ponderings. There is no way they could have foreseen any value placed on such material.

Either way, it's an interesting theory. One wonders if there was truly any rhyme or reason to many of the ink selections, other than that black would be the most natural choice for the backs. I would bet that less thought was put into it back then than the time collectors of today invest into figuring it out.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Levy

Ahhh rare back T206s one of my favorite subjects. I think Ted might be on to something. Another interesting feature is that most of the OM browns are handcut or at least thinner on the sides.

I bet that 100 years ago it was as simple as
Q "Boss, I ran out of black ink, should we shut down the press".
A "Nah, keep running it, we're almost done....just use the brown"

Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: samuel

I agree...I'm not clear on how brown ink could be accidentally applied though, as far as the mechanics of the printer. I would say it was human error. but I know nothing about the printers used.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

I don't recall what Southern Leaguers are on your Brown OLD MILL cards....please inform us ?

Thanks much,

TED Z

Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Scott,

Exactly.

Jodi

Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Rivera

Dutch Revelle

Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Who is the Southern Leaguer on the brown OLD MILL you sent me a scan of ?

Thanks,

TED Z

Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Bernard

Old 10-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Good start, we have......

Bernhardt

Revelle

TED Z

Old 10-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Levy

Reagan

Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

Hi Ted,
I used to own a T206 Thornton, Mobile with Brown Old Mill back. Here is an old scan:

Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Art, your scan looks like a faded black, not a brown. The paper color is entirely different as well as the print on a true Brown and all are hand cut. I suspect 1 sheet existed and was neatly hand cut years ago. Dan.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I own a Revelle with a brown old mill back.

I believe that there may have been 3 sheets of Brown Old Mills printed. The reason for this being I have also seen scans of a Brown Old Mill with the single red overprint bar and have also seen a picture of a double overprint with red bars in a book entitled "Most Valuable Baseball Cards" by Christopher Benjamin. The picture in this book is not extremely large, but the print definitely looks brown rather than black.

I would assume that the printer wouldn't mix different overprint bars on a single sheet. Thus, 3 possible sheets were produced.

As you can see there is a strong tie between the old mill brown back and the even more rare red overprint backs because the printer must have printed these at approximately the same time. The overprint could have been added at a later date, but realistically speaking it doesn't make sense that the printer would have printed the brown backs and just sat on them until the overprint was added at a much later point in time.

I also believe that the brown backs were produced before the introduction of the Texas League players because I have never been able to confirm one of these players with a brown back.

PS - I once owned the Thornton mentioned by Art. I can tell you it was brown and not faded black.

Jerry

Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Where is the Thornton now? I say no way that is a true Brown Jerry. I would like to see it scanned against your Revelle. Dan.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I wonder if it's as simple as the overprints were tested on incorrectly printed sheets, then the printer brought the sheets home and cut 'em up with the kiddies.

I also wonder sometimes if the cards were redeemed for prizes or freebies at some tobacconists or newsstands, hence some (not all, some) of the back stamps that are seen being used for "cancellation" purposes.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Dan,
I agree that the scan from Jerry looks "faded Brown", but I know that Jerry has probably owned as many "Brown Old Mill's" as anyone in the Hobby. Of course you and Pops could always prove me wrong, as your collections are incredible. I will say that I used to own the Revelle before Jerry and that it is very difficult to scan the difference between Brown and Black unless Wonka is around.
For the record... I would take Jerry's word on the Thornton, just as I would take yours, Art's or Ted's... Be well Brian

PS I know I left a few people out, but it wasn't on purpose...

Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Administrator

No we are beat in this category. Have only owned 2. Is Jerry the gent that won the Lipset lot that had a brown in it? I talked to the fellow that out bid me on that lot and he sold the Brown to someone almost immediately. I think I know Jerry or have talked to him. Dan

Old 10-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Hi Dan,
That was me baby... I won the Lipset lot and traded the Revelle to Jerry a few months later. Jerry... Hi... Jerry is a low key guy with an awesome collection who has handled and written about a lot of rare issues.
Be well Brian

PS Hi Dan... He probably feels the same way you and I do about UNC items... Be well Brian

PS 2 So Jeff doesn't go crazy... I meant UNC as uncatalog versus the Tarheels...smiley

Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

That is right! thanks B, my memory is horrible but I was at least close on this one ah? Yes I emailed or talked to Jerry after that. Very nice guy with amazing stuff and a wealth of knowledge. Small World ah?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Administrator

You got it.... I wish we would have had more time for a few Beers and a chat at the National... At least the basement wasn't flooding....

Talk to you soon. Be well Brian

PS I doubt more than 20 "real Brown Old Mill" backs exist... And I even questioned the "Brown" before I owned one...

PS 2 I'll check my records tomorrow for other known "Browns", but I think I only have one on the list that hasn't been posted.

PS 3 Hi Dan, I thought I had a great Memory until I turned 40...