NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2018, 02:11 AM
Bob Davies

Thanks to all for the insight. Not being a lawyer, this makes an interesting read. Essentially paying for a service (in terms of time) that they basically do not deliver on.

If the turnaround times for the "fast" service is that far out, has it made all levels behind?

Thanks for the link to the CU page, and the message from Joe O. One comment I found interesting is the following:
"We need to make sure that every person handling the collectibles are properly trained, and that training can take time."

Seriously, how hard is it to train someone on how to grade a card? Here are the 5, 10, or 15 things we look at (I have no idea), and here are the tools we supply you to do this. I think putting a Big Mac might be slightly less complicated.

I can only take a perspective from what I do for a living, which is IT system deployment and implementation. It's not like these folks are being trained on the latest SAP release, or an Oracle Financials system implementation.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 02-12-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:19 AM
Jim B.

My experience with PSA - submitted a 1967 Planet of the Apes pack in unbelievable Gem Mint shape - it came back in a PSA 8 holder with a nice big tear in one of the corners. The slabbing of the pack reduced the value by 75%.
What a deal!!!!
I have never dealt with their professional services after that incident.

I also don't understand the fascination with PSA. How nice of a card can we stick in our holder and throw a "1" on the slab. Who needs 'em. My business all goes to SGC. Much more realistic grades.

Last edited by BabyRuth; 02-12-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:16 AM
Robert Williams

Yes...their treatment of their customers is definitely making me rethink using them in the near future. I know I got the group sub going on, but damn. I really don't like how they are treating people.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 AM
Johnny MaZilli

In my opinion people use PSA for one major reason that being resale value. Until their prodcut, aka slabbed product, takes a hit in future sales I see nothing changing. I believe they have hired a bunch of new graders, many of which do not know vintage or have yet to learn it. Hopefully things will improve. It will take time. Another cycle to go through. I'm in it for the long run so I just roll with the punches. Maybe next year it will only take one or two times for them to grade vintage properly.

John Marsili

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-12-2018 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Relax. I have received word that PSA is actively training new recruits as we speak. And as soon as the new season of "Blue's Clues" ends, they promise to pick up the pace.

5sensesalt.jpg
Old 02-12-2018, 07:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Relax. I have received word that PSA is actively training new recruits as we speak. And as soon as the new season of "Blue's Clues" ends, they promise to pick up the pace.

Attachment 305176
Watch it. I absolutely have one of those magnifying glasses at my desk and use it frequently.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
All of you guys are saying and asking questions and they all have one answer. MONEY

Why do collectors put up with it? MONEY (they feel they get more by using them)

Why does PSA keep doing it? MONEY (see top answer as to why)

It really is a circular question with the same answer each time. Ethics aside , I actually don't blame them. This is a capitalist society and as long as they can do it and not get ensnared legally for doing it, why not?

Just playing a bit of devil's advocate here. BTW, I think we do have a lawyer or two on the board who have some experience in class action suits.

If they don't want a lawsuit mess they need to hire more sharp eyed 18 year old kids to grade the mass of cards that have apparently back logged. They can afford it.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Al Richter

Larry ( sflayank) pointed out on post war that another issue, not solved by hiring a hoard of sharp eyed 18 year old people, is their inability to consistently identify and distinguish more offbeat or non mainstream issues, and what should be included in such sets.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Bob McLean

Maybe they should pay some older guys like Andy Madec and a few others that are capable of identifying everything about cards. They would be worth a pretty penny to the company.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Thanks to all for the insight. Not being a lawyer, this makes an interesting read. Essentially paying for a service (in terms of time) that they basically do not deliver on.

If the turnaround times for the "fast" service is that far out, has it made all levels behind?

Thanks for the link to the CU page, and the message from Joe O. One comment I found interesting is the following:
"We need to make sure that every person handling the collectibles are properly trained, and that training can take time."

Seriously, how hard is it to train someone on how to grade a card? Here are the 5, 10, or 15 things we look at (I have no idea), and here are the tools we supply you to do this. I think putting a Big Mac might be slightly less complicated.

I can only take a perspective from what I do for a living, which is IT system deployment and implementation. It's not like these folks are being trained on the latest SAP release, or an Oracle Financials system implementation.
Internal Memo from Joe O:

Due to our backlog of items to be graded, graders lunch breaks are being temporarily suspended until we catch up. However, to be humane, big macs will now be served in the grading room. Remember the appropriate grade reductions for sauce, cheese and onions on the cards you are grading.

BM1.jpeg

BM 2.jpeg

BM 3.jpeg

BM3.jpeg

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 02-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default Hmmm

I got told a new one today...apparently your turnaround time doesn’t start till 24hrs after they enter it in their system. They have always told me it had started once entered in the system. Just another excuse to get a extra day outta ya.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I received a phone call at 10PM EST one night from someone at PSA who chewed me out over a post I made on their forum about a questionable Gretzky auto. The person who laid me out said that Joe Orlando read the post and banned me for it. That's cool, no worries, but the call was unprofessional and unnecessary. When the phone rang that late my first reaction was that something bad happened to someone in my family. I really shouldn't give them another cent but, to me, aesthetically PSA's cases are perfect. I send cards every month - and they're always late to log in and pop. I'm in no hurry, so it doesn't really bother me.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 AM
Richard L.

That took a lot of balls on their part! Can you imagine what would have happened if you took Joe’s hair brush and tooth whitener? Unprofessional is an understatement! That company stock drop must be getting to him?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default The other side

The other side of this situation is my latest experience with SGC. I mailed a T213-2 Cobb, with 5 day service, (which is not guaranteed), on Monday, Feb 5th. SGC received the package on Thursday the 8th and logged it into the system the same day. On Tuesday the 13th I received an email that the card had been graded and the results were on their website. The package was in the mail on the 14th, and I should have it back in my hands today or tomorrow.

That is a 4 business day turnaround, which includes the day that the package was logged in.

BTW, there have been a lot of posts that accuse SGC of not having a registry. but SGC DOES have a registry. I have 52 SGC graded T213-2's, with photos, listed on their registry.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Glyn Parson

Default My thoughts

I honestly don't think they could afford ANdy anymore. They don't pay what they used to pay. From my understanding having actually heard from Joe on this subject the back log was a combination of a huge spike in submission, due to an explosion in the grading of pokemon (yes POKEMON) cards coupled with the move to the new location. And despite the snide comments on here they have to find qualified people and then train them. not just on the grading end but on the receiving and data entry end. these are valuable collectibles the people are dealing with you can't just hire anyone off the street to do it. They have apparently hired several more graders and they have been trained and they were also hiring more receiving personnel. Honestly if you are in The Newport Beach area and want a job and are qualified give them a call they are still hiring, well as of 2 weeks ago anyway. I was also told that though they are behind on the turnaround times, considerably, they are still processing the faster services levels quicker than the bulk service levels.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-15-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:09 AM
Johnny MaZilli

After the past year of submissions I've decided to only use PSA for Reviews, Reholders, and Crossovers. I'm done playing the game. All my free grades per year will be for the Red PSA/DNA holders.

Last edited by Johnny630; 02-16-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

This is great, it will clear the way for my submissions.

Sarcasm on

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I strongly prefer PSA over SGC and Beckett. It is much easier to break the cards out of their slabs.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Richard Simon

Not a card but what I do when I get an item in a PSA holder that is for my personal collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crack-PSA.jpg (50.1 KB, 172 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default If and when I ever sell my most valuable pieces.

They will be PSA authenticated, no doubt.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default It’s done.

Just received notification my order is done and being shipped. Nothing like 36 days on a 10 day turnaround. Oh wait..it’s only estimated lol
Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
Just received notification my order is done and being shipped. Nothing like 36 days on a 10 day turnaround. Oh wait..it’s only estimated lol
If you hadn't complained out here you'd be waiting another 36 days.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My ten day order was picked up by PSA on 2/3--their records say they received the package 2/5. Ten business days later it hasn't even been entered into their system to start the 'ten day' clock.

It's beginning to feel a lot like 1979: America Held Hostage

Never get cheated? More like "Never get anything back on time."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.