NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Default OT (by about 15 yrs) 1956 Topps Gray/White Question

Posted By: Misunderestimated (Brian H.)

Which cards in the 1956 Topps set are in Gray OR White? And, of those cards with both possibilities which is less common (ie generally sells for more)? Any ideas on what the ratio is; or why this variation exists in the first place.
I'm pretty sure that someone here can explain this thoroughly.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry about the OT --> I did make an effort to figure it out myself... I checked some of other resources but the answers were unsatisfactory.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

DELETED

Old 06-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: whitehse

I think his question was referring to the 1956 Topps and not the 1952 Topps set. Great read anyway!!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

<< Which cards in the 1956 Topps set are in Gray OR White? And, of those cards with both possibilities which is less common (ie generally sells for more)? Any ideas on what the ratio is; or why this variation exists in the first place. >>

Brian,

1956 Topps baseball cards were issued in white and gray backs for the first two series. Numbers 1-100 are more commonly found with white backs, which often possess a washed-out or faded and somewhat "whitened" appearance. First series gray backs are valued at a slight premium since they are in shorter supply. Furthermore, only the first series was available in Canada and all of the cards are found with white backs. There are three team variations for this series. Teams with the name left and name centered are possible with both gray and white backs while the dated teams are only found with white backs.

The second series features some of the most difficult post-WWII baseball cards to find in NM-MT or better condition. Numbers 101-180 are most commonly encountered with gray backs and are fairly easy to acquire in top grade. However, the second series white backs are several times more difficult to locate and are exponentially more scarce than their gray back counterparts in better than NM condition. The fronts of the white backs possess extremely fragile surfaces and are particularly susceptible to creasing and chipping.

If you check eBay regularly, any second series white back will sell for a significant premium over a gray back -- typically 5 to 10 times as much for equivalent grades (EX or better). Since the early 1970s, advanced collectors and savvy dealers have also been combing 1956 Topps inventories in order to locate a quality, white back #135 Mickey Mantle -- the "white whale" of the 1956 Topps Set in NM-MT (or Mint!) condition.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Brian- why is this post here and not in the post war section? It's because of the people that know better, and don't use it, that the post war side of Net54 gets little activity. It's a shame too.....You would think educated folks would get it....Nothing personal, Brian....you aren't the only one. best regards and hope to see you at the National....

Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

there was a post about this in the post war board awhile ago.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

At least this thread reminds us that some interesting questions can come up about post war issues.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator

If this thread was tried on the post war side first then my apologies. I don't see it over there on the front page though it could have been a little longer ago.

I always ask folks to give a post war topic a try over there first and if it doesn't work out then it's ok to post it here. Obviously this side gets much more activity. It should as it was in existence for about 7 yrs before we tried a post war side. Thanks to those who help our community by participating and not just being bystanders.... I get emails every week from lurkers about different topics. I guess folks mainly don't want to get into the public domain....regards...(and again this wasn't personal towards the original poster, who is a friend, it was a plea to give the correct venue a try first)

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Misunderestimated (Brian H.)

Leon -

I apologize -- I should have posted the question on the other board.
I honestly didn't even think about it . I knew that there were knowledgeable people here so I went with it when I got frustrated at my own inability to get satisfactory information.

To whomever else is reading this don't post these kinds of questions -- do as I say not as I did.

And, to avoid keeping this post going: if you want to share more info about this w/out posting you can email me at bhodes@rcn.com or post on the other site.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I collected the 1956 set while growing up in Canada. I always loved the look of this set. Back then (perhaps 20 years ago), nobody discussed the color of the backs (not in Canada, anyhow). I'm sure my Mantle is white-backed, but it would unfortunately only grade a 1 or 2! Any ideas as to the premium attached to its value despite the condition?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

No worries at all....Just a friendly moderator request more than anything. In reality, per the forum rules, you are permitted to talk about this stuff over here as you are a regular poster.....I appreciate your understanding though.....talk to ya' soon.