NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2002, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Default interesting Matty auction on eBay

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840079650

I did ask the seller if it comes with ANY kind of recognized COA, no answer yet.

Without any mention of signature authentication, I cannot believe this many people are bidding on the baseball. Especially with all the crap that is being sold on eBay these days.

Gee...maybe AAA will authenticate it...

Old 07-08-2002, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I would be more than careful when considering buying a Mathewson signed ball, as there are lot of forgeries. Personally, I would only buy one through someone I knew personally or who had a top notch reprutation, and if it had been examined and approved (I hate the word 'authenticate') by someone like Mike Gutierez or Jimmy Spence. Otherwise, I'd stay away, as it wouldn't be worth the probable heartache.

Old 07-08-2002, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Yeah, no doubt there, Dave. I'd have to be COMPLETELY convinced of the item's true nature before laying down the lettuce for it.

I've just seen too many ripoffs on eBay...

Old 07-08-2002, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Might just be my bad eyesight, but that sig sure looks like it was made with a ballpoint pen. Would also be interesting to know wht kind of ball it is.

Jay

Old 07-08-2002, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

he also has a lou gehrig autographed ball and a honus wanger,eventho the ball says wagner i dont think i would trust someone, as far as authenticity, who spelled wagner wrong all 3 times in his listing.Something tells me that on a high priced item like that you would want people to be able to find it if they searched for it.....Scott,maybe you should search ebay for wanger too so you could buy more of his autographs

Old 07-08-2002, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

It may be that the seller is a noncollector, and is just selling stuff theyve had stashed away etc.. I have a few autographes in my collection and have never had any of them authenticated by a 3rd party, especially one that costs big $$ to take a look and make a judgement call with there opinion (I can do that myself with the many auction catalogs I have to compare sigs). To me the Wagner autograph looks damn real, and its a tough one to fake with the unusual "J" and "W" and wear and all. The other 2 are tougher to tell, but dont look out of the ordinary to me. Id be more hesitant if the balls were NRMT and Sigs "10"s Frank

Old 07-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Two points. First, Jay, if you want to post anonymously you souldn't sign your name ... Secondly, the Christy Mathewson autograph looks suspect to me. Mathewson had an easy and natureal signature (also often very neatly printed it), while this one appears too angular and right-tilted. Also, as already noted, the pen ink appears a bit weird.

Old 07-08-2002, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

David
I agree the Matty sig does look a little funny and does appear to be in ballpoint. I have very little experience with Wagner's autograph, but the Gehrig signature doesn't look real to me either. It appears to be forced, lacking the normal flow of his writing. If 2 out of 3 look fishy, I would stay away.

later brian

Old 07-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

I asked what type of ball it was and when he thought that it was signed. He responded
"there are no markings on the ball. prob from 1920 to 1925 thanks " his email is ALCPTDOC@cs.com

Old 07-08-2002, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

the anonymous was unintentional.

to fkw: If I'm gonna pass of a fake, I am not gonna do one on a nice ball, just for the reason you stated. People let down their guard and it's easier to sucker them with a lower quality item.

Jay

Old 07-08-2002, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

My name automatically comes up, and if you click on it, my e-mail address.

Old 07-08-2002, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

I have one and this one looks bogus...........who would advertise such a thing without 5 more pgotos,papers of authenticity ,a history et...et...et...

Leon posts uncertified "graded" cards! Because he can grade them!!! So they in essence..are "graded"
hee hee hee

Old 07-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Julie, if are not logged in (like I am not right now), it will list you as annonymous unless you type in your name or nickname.

David

Old 07-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Dan:

Another strong point for forgery is the relatively low selling price. An authentic Matty ball would bring closer to $10k. Even authentic, beautiful/strong Matty signatures on other documents bring between $1,500 - $4,000 when and if they are offered.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

The signature is not nearly as ornate. I see that ornate signature all the time and it appears to be easier to forge - I say that because I've seen several forgeries of it on ebay. I just picked up another Wagner with the ornate sig: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1840394266

--------------------------------------------
Disclaimer
I apologize for the previous disclaimer, but that is in no way an admission of guilt or intention to pay reparations for mental damages that may have been suffered while reading my disclaimers.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Scott.

You should have had AAA authenticate and slab the xmas card. It would have pulled in thousands, perhaps millions of dollars. You never listen to me, runscott!

Old 07-10-2002, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

What is with the Christmas stuff? The guy you purchased the post card from GAVE ME A $600 Tango Brand Egg card FOR FREE !!!! HE is kind and a super well informed autograph expert!

Old 07-10-2002, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

It's nice to feel completely safe making a transaction, but it takes being customer-oriented and honest over a period of time, which has been a major challenge for a lot of ebay sellers.

--------------------------------------------
Disclaimer
I apologize for the previous disclaimer, but that is in no way an admission of guilt or intention to pay reparations for mental damages that may have been suffered while reading my disclaimers.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: W.M.

It could be he is a non collector or a crook...