NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2009, 02:26 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Default O/T Bob Sheppard Calls it a Career....

As a relatively young Yankee Fan (27) he was obviously at the stadium doing the public address announcements each time. To think he started in 1951 with Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle and has gone all the way up to the days of Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez. Absolutely amazing.

I know he wasn't there this past year either but now he is officially retiring. What a great run he has had.

I'd like to hear some recollections from sold old time Yankee fans or anyone with memories of Bob.

Thanks Mr. Sheppard and thanks to everyone on the board, Happy Thanksgiving.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Last edited by yanksfan09; 05-14-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Edited to add link to Yankees.com story
Old 11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Scott

Bob was the best. The other one I loved was the PA announcer when I was little and liked the Red Sox, Mr. Sherm Feller. To hear him announce John Kiley playing the anthem was awesome.

Bob Sheppard is an institution, and will be greatly missed.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Joe P.

Default Going to the Old Ball Orchard in Da Bronx was like .....

Going to a Holy Temple, and listening to the words of God.

Thank you Bob Sheppard.

Potomac Yank (78)
Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 PM
David McDonald

Before my family moved out west in 1961 I went to many a game at Yankee Stadium, but since then I have been exactly twice and I had forgotten all about old Bob Sheppard. I tried to find an old clip of him on YouTube but the best I could do was more recent announcing he had done and I heard the shaky voice of a very old man. But enough came through to take me back to that old ballyard in the 1950's, smelling the cigar smoke, feeling the crackling energy of the crowd as Mel Allen crowed from someone's transistor radio "And the Yankees take the field", the announcer intoning "Please rise for our National Anthem", big stadium silent, players at attention, caps over hearts, and then soon after the clipped cadence of Bob Sheppard announcing the line-ups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapshot 2009-08-12 10-04-13.jpg (65.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

He also did NY Giants football games for nearly as long (50 yrs) as he did the Yanks. He will be 100 next October so I guess he is entitled to a little r&r.

Last edited by toppcat; 11-26-2009 at 07:58 PM.