NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Mike

Default 1970 Kellogg set

Hi there - new to the forum. I have collected for over 35 years, mostly vintage Topps, but only recently considered the 1970 Kellogg's set. I love the design, player photos, and high quality stars in the short (75-card) set. I'd like to consider assembling a complete set, but have a few questions about the cards after reading a few threads here:

1) Raw or graded. Since the cards don't have a high BV, does raw make more sense? Or since it's a lower cost set, maybe a set of all 8s or 9s could be easy?

2) Protecting the cards and display. I read that the cards often curl and crack (even in slabs). Would album pages be as good a route as any other? I have several Topps 1970s sets in display albums and I like flipping through them, but not sure if this works to protect the Kellogg's

3) Best place to buy. On eBay, I see some sets - many are in not great condition with some cards horribly curled. Any ideas on best places to find dealers with good sets?

Would appreciate any guidance from experienced Kellogg's collectors out there. Thanks a ton !

Mike
Old 05-05-2015, 06:21 PM

Good questions. I'm partial to raw cards unless authenticity or alteration is in question and I don't think those would be issues with the Kellogg's cards.

As for display and storage, I'm interested in putting a '74 set in pages. Because most of the cards now have a slight curve to them, with no cracking at all yet, I wonder whether flattening them by putting them in pages will cause cracking. Glad you posted this and I'll be interested how others respond.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

why don't you buy a few low priced raw cards to start off with...that way you can get the feel of the cards, both literally and figuratively speaking.

then figure out what your exit strategy is for them. if it's for pure enjoyment, then go for solid raw examples that make you happy. if, by chance, you want to compete on the set registry or possibly use as vehicle for investment or emergency cash, then I suggest going for the highest graded card that you are comfortable with....

either way, it's a good looking set and I've often thought about picking up a few of the stars....
Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Mark

What I did for my 1970 Kelloggs set was trim off the sides and bottoms of top loaders so they fit into nine pocket sheets, then just put the cards between the plastic.

It makes them slightly bulkier but the cards display well and don't curl.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Mike

I like this idea. Would be good to get a few raw examples to feel them out and can make a more informed decision then. This set will be for enjoyment so not worried about the registries
Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The Kellogg's phenomenon of curling and cracking has always puzzled me. Every kid absolutely loved digging through the boxes of cereal to find the treasured cards at the bottom, but I couldn't help but wonder why Kellogg's even bothered producing cards that broke down so easily. But now I think I have an answer. I'm not a scientist, but I believe the cause of all this destruction is the humidity. Every single 3-D card I had in New York eventually either cracked and/or curled. Every single one. The relative humidity there is quite formidable in summer and the winters are dry. Perhaps the damage is a result of these extreme changes in the amount of moisture in the air?

But now I find myself in California where (even before this ridiculous drought) it is bone dry throughout the year. The difference between the right coast and left coast in this regard is so freakin' drastic that it makes me laugh!! I've picked up a few 3-D cards since being here and every show I attend has people selling them. I have yet to see any of these cards show the telltale signs of curling and cracking out here.

So I imagine the viability of your Kellogg's cards all depends on what part of the country you live in. Again, I'm not a scientist, so the use of 'humidity' might not be the proper term, but you understand what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The Kellogg's phenomenon of curling and cracking has always puzzled me. Every kid absolutely loved digging through the boxes of cereal to find the treasured cards at the bottom, but I couldn't help but wonder why Kellogg's even bothered producing cards that broke down so easily. But now I think I have an answer. I'm not a scientist, but I believe the cause of all this destruction is the humidity. Every single 3-D card I had in New York eventually either cracked and/or curled. Every single one. The relative humidity there is quite formidable in summer and the winters are dry. Perhaps the damage is a result of these extreme changes in the amount of moisture in the air?

But now I find myself in California where (even before this ridiculous drought) it is bone dry throughout the year. The difference between the right coast and left coast in this regard is so freakin' drastic that it makes me laugh!! I've picked up a few 3-D cards since being here and every show I attend has people selling them. I have yet to see any of these cards show the telltale signs of curling and cracking out here.

So I imagine the viability of your Kellogg's cards all depends on what part of the country you live in. Again, I'm not a scientist, so the use of 'humidity' might not be the proper term, but you understand what I'm talking about.
Interesting, that would definitely stress the cards.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Mikeknapp

I wouldn't slab them. A couple years ago picked up PSA 9s of Mays and Bench. When I received them they were beautiful. A year later I looked at them and both of them cracked in the slab

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 05-09-2015, 04:35 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I wouldn't slab them. A couple years ago picked up PSA 9s of Mays and Bench. When I received them they were beautiful. A year later I looked at them and both of them cracked in the slab
Really sorry about your mays and bench. That's exactly what I worry about, and for sure 2 of my favorite-looking from that set. I wonder if stabbing is part of the issue, straightening the cards out when they already have had a slight curl, thus stressing and ultimately cracking the plastic over time.

A tad off topic, but the issue reminds me of some of my mid 70s topps sets, where some of the cards appear a bit curled in sheets after having sat upright in boxes for a number of years (especially 73 and my two 76 sets). I have wondered if the cardboard stock from the mid 1970s sets was a little cheaper than what came before and after from topps
Old 05-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Al Richter

Default 3D

I have a set of the Topps 68 3D cards, and the 3D subset that was part of their 2011 Lineage set. Some of my 68s are graded, some not, depending on what state they were in when I bought them. I have seen a 68 3D uncut sheet. They are thicker and seem sturdier than the Kellogg versions, and I am not sure if they ever had the roll in the individual cards you mention. I have heard stories of the 68s cracking as well, but fortunately have not had that problem with my set.

I have always liked the 68 set and wondered why Topps never went mainstream with those type cards until 2011, and even then with only a small subset. I assume it was cost of production

I also have a set of the 86 Sportflics cards, which was a kind of 3D production, but the set is still in a factory box and do not know if they have had a cracking problem as well
Old 05-09-2015, 10:28 AM
rgpete

The Rose cards have been in the plexi holders for over 20 to 30 years with no cracks and The pack with a small curl, just luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kelloggs 001.jpg (68.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Rose 002.jpg (79.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 05-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Mike

Real beauties, Ron.

I read somewhere that most years the Kellogg's cards (maybe all but 1971) could be acquired in cereal boxes or other sources - like the packs Ron shows.

I wonder if there's a difference in how the cards fare if they were mixed in with cereal during the packaging/distribution/retail process and those cards that were not...

is there a way to tell if a card was inserted into a box or acquired differently (like perforated vs. hand-cut for Post)?
Old 05-09-2015, 12:58 PM
rgpete

That's a good question, later Kelloggs mail in @ 1980 they came 3 or 4 to a strip perforated, I would have to check my sets, as far hand cuts to my knowledge do not apply to Kelloggs if that's what you meant
Old 05-09-2015, 01:28 PM

1970 Kelloggs hand cut proofs and sealed bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70 Kelloggs fronts.jpg (71.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 70 Kelloggs backs..jpg (70.3 KB, 130 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

The company that owned the process also made postcards and some larger souvenir type items. I have a few and even the big ones are still Ok.

So far the Sportflics and another mid 90's 3d set are also fine.

Most of the Kelloggs I have are ok too.

But some licensed 3d postcards I have came very curled, and probably can't be straightened.

I believe the problem is the plastic shrinking a bit while the paper on the back doesn't. Humidity would make that worse since the paper might expand. Some plastics shrink as the plasticizer dries out of them. Sunlight and heat would make that worse too, so 3d stuff stored since new would probably be decent, ones trucked to a flea market for a couple years probably not.

The late 70's set I got through the mail came in four card panels. They didn't curl, but did separate a bit. I'll have to check and see if the ones from inside the boxes are different.

Steve B
Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Al Richter

Default 3D

Some years back Kodak offered disposable 3D cameras. They had 3 lenses and in the right circumstance turned out some cool pictures . The pictures were thick and had a plastic feel to them. I think basically each picture involved three pictures superimposed on each other. I took a bunch of them on trips, but they have not held up well over time. Here is an example, although the 3D effect does not show up as well in a scan

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-11-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I thought the curling was similar to why artists primed both sides of old wood panels for oil painting, that if one side was left untreated, it would lead to curling.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Al Richter

Default Kellogg 3D

Compliments of another board member

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-11-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Jason Albregts

I learned to never try and straighten out any Kellogg's that are curled. All cracked within a week of being put in a top loader. Love the looks of these, they are just a pain.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
I learned to never try and straighten out any Kellogg's that are curled. All cracked within a week of being put in a top loader. Love the looks of these, they are just a pain.
At the National a few years back, I bought a bunch of heavily curled, otherwise flawless 1971 Kelloggs. I figured they weren't doing me any good curled like that... I took a hair dryer and heated up the plastic, then carefully slid them into a penny sleeve, then into a top loader. It resulted in a 50% success rate. The ones that cracked were cracked pretty heavy; but a good number didn't crack. Not sure if the hair dryer did anything to improve or hurt my success rate.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:43 PM

For some reason 1975 Kellogg's are very very prone to curling and cracking. Finding a high-grade 1975 set is always a challenge.

Tags
kellogg's