NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Derek G.

Default EBay buyers

Just curious: How long do you sellers give a buyer to pay for a winning? I always pay as soon as I win or next log on, so it is really bugging me when I have to wait 2 or more days for a payment. Any thoughts on this? How often should I send the invoice or message without becoming a pest?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Trey

I've had people take a week or two. I began the practice of stating in my auctions that, "Payment is due within 48 hours of auction's end." Seems to add a little more credibility when you are asking for money after two days and quoting from terms specifically stated in your auction listing. Still, it seems to ultimately amount to the following: they can take as long as you are willing to wait.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Dave

I'm pretty patient. Usually wait about 10 days before I send out a second notice. I have a few regulars who tally stuff up throughout the month and then pay in one lump sum if we have a prior arrangement.

I get very few non-payers.

I do make sure I send a Non Paying Bidder notice if it comes down to that, and that usually shakes the tree loose on the knuckle draggers.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:48 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

I will USUALLY send a reminder via e-mail after 2 days and open a "Non-Paying" Bidder case after 3 days.

If a person is able to bid on an item, especially a sniper, there is NO reason that the bidder cannot at least contact me regarding payment within 3 days.

Just my thoughts...
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshemp View Post
Just curious: How long do you sellers give a buyer to pay for a winning? I always pay as soon as I win or next log on, so it is really bugging me when I have to wait 2 or more days for a payment. Any thoughts on this? How often should I send the invoice or message without becoming a pest?
I agree it can be annoying. I don't sell that much on eBay but when I do I expect buyers to be like myself (95%) of the time I pay immediately after winning.

There is another 5% of me though that may win an auction a couple 2-4 days before pay day and then pay. I usually let the seller know this though out of consideration.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 06-19-2015, 06:30 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I always pay within 24 hours. As a seller, I wait 48 hours and send an invoice, then wait a few more days and send a friendly message. If they haven't sent by the end of a week I send a less friendly message saying I'll cancel the transaction after 24 hours.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:51 PM
David Sims

States in my auction they have 5 days to pay. On the 6th day I file a NPB case. It gives them an additional 3 days to pay then I file to get my fees back and they get a strike.

David
Old 06-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I guess I'm more tolerant. Ebay already sends a reminder email after 3-4 days. I wait until the next week's close, and if they haven't bid on anything else, I'll send an email. After two weeks, I'll open a case if I haven't heard anything. I guess I'm more laid back, which would definitely surprise my wife.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:04 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I guess I'm more tolerant. Ebay already sends a reminder email after 3-4 days. I wait until the next week's close, and if they haven't bid on anything else, I'll send an email. After two weeks, I'll open a case if I haven't heard anything. I guess I'm more laid back, which would definitely surprise my wife.
+1 on this approach

To my mind, if you're going to be filling NPB's in anything under a week, you should state that in your listing. When I'm actively buying on eBay, it's usually with snipe bids set well in advance, and I'll often settle up with multiple sellers at once assert the end of the week. Nothing turns me off to a seller quicker than getting slapped with an NPB claim on day 3 when nothing was said about "immediate payment required" in the listing. I'll pay up either way, but if you treat me like a deadbeat for not meeting your unstated expectations, it's the last of my money that you'll get.

Bottom line is, whatever you think the timeframe should be is fine, just be clear about your expectations up front.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
I will USUALLY send a reminder via e-mail after 2 days and open a "Non-Paying" Bidder case after 3 days.

If a person is able to bid on an item, especially a sniper, there is NO reason that the bidder cannot at least contact me regarding payment within 3 days.

Just my thoughts...
+1 - This exactly the way I handle it. This past Sunday, I have 30 cards that sold, 27 paid within 24 hours - without me asking. I sent invoices with the note 'Friendly payment reminder' to the other three and two paid that day. I have opened a non-payment case on the third one...who has never responded at all.

While, EBAY definitely pulls in favor of buyers, I think it's only reasonable for someone to bid only on items they can pay for. Since I am required (to get highest rating) to ship to my buyers within one business day, it is only natural to expect close to the same from the buyers. I try to have my sales ending on Sunday nights, hoping that 'joe blow' doesn't spend his entire Friday paycheck before then...guess I am wrong 1 in 30 times.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-19-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:21 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I took checks

have suffered through excuses of all sorts regarding listings and endured any number of payment delays in my 20 years selling albeit at times sporadically on eBay. Like Lance and wynnfan I tend to lean to the tolerant side - the same approach I have tried to take with my life. Completing a transaction of this sort generally isn't life and death although it can be a little annoying. I once had to SWEAT three weeks waiting for payment on an expensive item that sold well in excess of it's historical price. I wrote once after 10 days with as much humility as I could muster for fear of scaring the guy off.......
I pay right away when I win something, post feedback the moment I receive payment as a seller or when my item arrives as listed when I am a buyer. I wish everyone acted as they should but accept that life and the buying/selling of collectibles can be interrupted by any number of variables.
If it's important to you - I suggest a friendly email after 5-7 days and waiting at least 3 days for a response before filing a NPB alert.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default BIN's

I can't understand people who use BIN or best offer and then take a week to pay. For instance, I have a guy who made an offer on Tuesday. I accepted the offer right away, but the guy hasn't paid yet. The total with shipping is 7 bucks. If you use BIN, you should pay right away.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Steve

Default From a buyer's point of view...

I don't understand waiting to pay, either...I like my cards in my hands sooner rather than later. I pay almost immediately unless I'm waiting for a seller to bundle items for a shipping discount.

It takes me less than 30 seconds to pay via my phone, and I know if I were a seller, I'd appreciate prompt payment.

What drives me nuts is that some sellers never provide feedback.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshemp View Post
I state in my auctions that the buyer has 5 days to pay. Unless the buyer has a good reason to delay things further, I cancel the transaction and block the buyer from participating in any future auctions. I may also report the non-paying buyer to eBay, for whatever good that does!
Old 06-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
+1 on this approach

To my mind, if you're going to be filling NPB's in anything under a week, you should state that in your listing. When I'm actively buying on eBay, it's usually with snipe bids set well in advance, and I'll often settle up with multiple sellers at once assert the end of the week. Nothing turns me off to a seller quicker than getting slapped with an NPB claim on day 3 when nothing was said about "immediate payment required" in the listing. I'll pay up either way, but if you treat me like a deadbeat for not meeting your unstated expectations, it's the last of my money that you'll get.

Bottom line is, whatever you think the timeframe should be is fine, just be clear about your expectations up front.
I understand where you are coming from, but must politely disagree...

Is it too difficult for the Buyer to send the Seller (me) a quick e-mail to let me know that payment will be delayed a couple of days or whatever?

I'm more than willing to wait for payment; all I am looking for is a little communication & courtesy.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I give most buyers 7 days until I send a reminder. Many of my long term buyers are given extra time and each case is different.

Many times I get a special request to hold off on paying me because they might not have the funds or some other situation. Recently, someone asked me to wait over 3 weeks until they pay me. I said no problem. Three weeks go by and buyer said that they no longer wanted the card. It's stuff like that which annoys me.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Many of my long term buyers are given extra time and each case is different.
ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!

All I'm saying is if you can't pay within a few (3) days, touch base with me and let me know.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:29 PM

I usually pay right away, but once I put in a bid with several days to go that I thought would never win, and it did.

In the meantime we left on vacation to the UP of Michigan with sporadic internet service.

I came home to a 10-12 day old ebay auction I won.

So I paid and apologized to the seller.

Sometimes stuff happens.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

AGAIN, no arguement from me - sometimes stuff DOES happen!

But when possible, shoot me an e-mail and let me know what's going on. I think that the majority of us who sell on ebay are a forgiving and understanding lot who are QUITE willing to accommodate any Buyer!
Old 06-21-2015, 01:41 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but must politely disagree...

Is it too difficult for the Buyer to send the Seller (me) a quick e-mail to let me know that payment will be delayed a couple of days or whatever?

I'm more than willing to wait for payment; all I am looking for is a little communication & courtesy.
Quote:
Old 06-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
we have a deal!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Usually if I don't get paid within a couple of days the payment never comes and no amount of messages or invoices gets a reply. I would wait quite a while to get paid as long as the buyer lets me know