NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Default Need Opinion on Mantle Autograph

Posted By: Ben

I'm hoping all of you autograph experts can tell me if this Mantle autograph is real. THANKS!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I vote "thumbs up". There are plenty of good fakes out there, but I think this is one is all right.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

maybe - looks okay, pictures are always a gamble

go to my site below to see an autograph ball

http://www.jbsportsauctions.com/baseballautos.html>

Jimmy

Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

If you're thinking of buying it, don't. It's not real. It's the work of one of the better Mantle forgers out there. Please don't ask me to elaborate. It's not something I care to do in a public forum. Just trust me.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Jodi,

seems like an Auto pen to me, so it can be hard, these picture autographs are everywere. Some of the dealers I know have been buying these and getting burned at auction.

Jimmy

Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't think I would ever buy a Mickey Mantle autograph unless it had solid provenance - I've seen way too many good fakes.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

I have a Mantle auto'd 16x20 litho that I spent my life savings on when I was 12 years old then another $200 to get it framed a couple of years later and I have always been to afraid to get it authenticated because if it turned out to be a fake I would cry my eyes out. This thread is not making me feel any better about it.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

In August 1967 my friend and I decided to walk over to the Stadium to get some autographs. We got to the player's entrance about the seventh inning, and we were the only people there. Just then Mantle came out--he had left the game in the third inning to save his legs, and had showered and changed. I followed him across the street to the player's parking lot--where the parking garage is now--begging him to sign my brand new official AL baseball. He ignored me, and closed the gate to the parking lot in my face.
Undeterred, I ran around to where the cars exited the lot, on River Avenue, and waited for his car to leave. As it left he stopped, rolled the window down, and signed my ball. Then, without a word, he drove away.

I've still got that ball, and I have no intention of ever having it "authenticated."

Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Jodi,
Unfortunately (if its fake) I already purchased the item 2 years ago. I found the COA that came with it and it was issued by Stanley Antonoff, President of Lin Terry Trading Corp. I see they still deal in autographs and supplies. Is this company legit at all?

Ben

Old 04-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

I can't say that I am familiar with that company, but I can name the very man who forged that piece. For legal reasons, I will refrain from doing so. It's really sad that authenticators can't publicly chastise the criminals who they know "authored" such works. This world should never have become so politically correct. If it's any consolation, the FBI has been hot on the case of this particular forger for some time. It would be nice to see some actual reprimand unleashed on this dirtbag. He's scammed many good collectors for millions by now, I'm sure.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Jodi

I'm curious why you would state you can't name the forger for legal reasons. I don't practice defamation law, but truth is an absolute defence. Is there any other US law involved?

Max

Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

I/we (other authenticators) do not care to start publicly naming names, as it tends to interfere with ongoing investigations conducted by the FBI. We'll let them take care of it before we come out and commence public discussion of a particular forger. It's best for all involved, including the collecting public. To point fingers too soon can hinder progress in these matters. I hope this makes sense to all who read this. I hate to have to say it again, but I feel I should: Please don't ask me to elaborate further, for I can not do so at this time. Thanks for understanding.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Jodi,

Could you answer this question...what characteristics of this specific signature lead you to believe that it is a forged signature? Maybe you could help fellow collectors in avoiding purchasing a bad sig.

Mike

Old 04-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Look at the "tle" in Mantle. Notice how those letters are all on the same plain? Mantle had a tendency to trail progressively upward on the last three letters of his surname. Not all the time, mind you, but certainly a great deal of the time. This example/forgery has those three letters trailing upward from the "n", but all on the same plain. And I am referring to all the material he signed for the collectibles market from the late 1970's-1995. Also, notice, if you will, the way those three letters in the image all are "flat" at the bottom. Almost squared off, if you will. They are executed in a ridiculously slow fashion. This is a fairly early example of the work of that particular forger; he has become far better in the ensuing years. I will say this: there are perhaps five people in this hobby who are adept enough to spot this forger's recent work. And, no, I will not tell you who they all are. I would not wish to offend those who are not represented on the list!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Ah, sorry Jodi, I misunderstood. I thought the forger had already been convicted. Perfectly understandable if there is an ongoing investigation (or even the possibility of one)

Max