NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Default Putting together an almost raw monster...

Hey guys,
I think this "question" is more of asking your guys opinions.

My goal is to put together a complete set (520). Right now I have 244 (about 20 dupes though). I have picked up alot of raw commons which most would grade poor, but many still have very good eye appeal. I do have many graded as well. Especially my hof's.

Anyways, whats your guys thoughts on putting together a relatively poor set as far as an investment? I guess waht I mean is will a relatively poor set still appreciate?

Now, before I go any further, Id like to state that I, personally, dont mind having some poor to fair commons. I want my hof's to be better though.
I just want to build a complete set and am in it for the hobby.

But....as with anything that one will put alot of money into, I also would like to research every angle.

Im just curious if it makes sense financially, in the long run, to stick with pr-fr-gd commons or if its a better idea to spend the money now and get them in at least a graded 3.

I should also probly state that when and if I complete the set, I plan on holding onto it at least until I retire (25 years). Unless something drastic happens and its a last resort to sell it.

Once again, would just like opinions.

Thanks guys, this forum is great.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Rob Miller

Personally I would try to obtain a more or less consistent grade for the whole set. I think that would be best for an eventual sale of the set.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Barry Arnold

Default great quest!

i like your criterion of 'very good eye appeal' without worrying so much about the grading company's appraisal.
IMHO there's no way to be dissatisfied with such a criterion and there will always be an astute buyer who will want your wares down the road, if you ever decide to sell for reasons of dire financial circumstances,etc.

and perhaps most importantly, remember the always helpful dictum as you continue this admirable quest:
the monster wants you to quit; don't listen to it.
all the best,
barry
Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Doug Doremus

Default Climbing the mountain

I'm on the same quest as you, kllrbee, but for the graded h-o-fer's.
I'm at roughly the same point, too, with 226 out of 520.
I bought my first in the mid-90's and have been actively collecting the set for the last few years--first only on Ebay, now Net 54, too [so we compete for the same cards].

I'm no expert on the matter, but I'd guess that the price of cards has doubled, maybe a little more than that [I'd guess T206's have risen 125-150%], in the past 15 years. They've surely held their value very well during the recent economic downturn, some better than others.

I look at the T206's as blue chips in baseball card collecting. My expectations are that they are a solid investment, but I wouldn't expect spectacular returns, unless vintage baseball card collecting explodes. The law of supply and demand always prevails, and in our case the supply is pretty much a constant; only the demand may change.

Simply from a financial point of view, I'd say cards not the best investment.
But from this collector's point of view, who oftens spends his money on cards instead of other modes of entertainment, they're a great investment--money saved that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Anyway, my personal agenda for writing this is to open trade talks with you.
I, too, have about 20 doubles in the same condition. And I'd hope we could serve each other's needs, trading a few.

Send me a pm if you're interested, and I'll send you a list.

Thanks.

Doug
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sorry to try to turn a baseball card forum into Economics 101. LOL.

Doug, let me get my dupes in order and Ill PM you. I was going to post them for trade soon anyways, but I cant get my scanner to work.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Frank Wakefield

For me, putting together an ungraded low condition set would not be done for the monetary value, but for the affinity to the cards and baseball. I'd think there are better ways to put money to cards if you're wanting monetary gain. And if you're wanting to make an investment, do that with stocks, bonds, real estate, an education... not in a hobby. A really good investment is to buy 5 to 10 acres of land, plant hardwood saplings, tend to them for a couple of years so they get started, then wait 30 to 40 years. That is a really good investment.