NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Help pinpointing the date for this 1946 Feller-Paige All-Star Program

Pretty excited to pick up this program. The 1946 Paige-Feller All-Star Tour is legendary, and programs with Feller on the cover turn up somewhat often.

Recently this program was listed on eBay. On the surface it looks like a standard 1946 Yankees contract, but it was repurposed as a program for a game between the Feller All-Stars and Paige All-Stars.

Trying to get a better idea for when this program would have been used. Barnstorming and Exhibition Games 1901-1962, lists only 1 game in the series at Yankee Stadium, on Oct 6, 1946. Satch, Dizzy and Rapid Robert also has them playing on Oct 4th (though while the teams played, neither Paige nor Feller pitched) It seems most likely that this program is from the game on the 6th as there is light pencil writing on the front and I can make out Sunday Oct x 1946. I can't make out the "6" definitively, but it appears to be a 6, and that game was on a Sunday. The one question on that is that the lineup includes Stan Musial who did not join the team until the 18th after the World Series. I wouldn't be surprised if he was included in the program even before he joined the team since I believe he committed to the tour earlier in the year, and he brought some additional star-power, but I am unsure. The other games were on the West Coast and it's hard to imagine that games at the end of the tour on the other coast would have a program like this, since they made special programs for the Tour. The Yankee series right at the beginning seems more logical.

I'd love to get people's thoughts on this. Also if anyone has advise on how to make it easier to read pencil writing that has been erased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6766.jpg (77.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6762.jpg (77.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Feller Paige Yankees 3.jpg (73.9 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Feller Paige Yankees 4.jpg (75.1 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 11-13-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:52 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Awesome program
Old 11-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Pretty excited to pick up this program. The 1946 Paige-Feller All-Star Tour is legendary, and programs with Feller on the cover turn up somewhat often.

Recently this program was listed on eBay. On the surface it looks like a standard 1946 Yankees contract, but it was repurposed as a program for a game between the Feller All-Stars and Paige All-Stars.

Trying to get a better idea for when this program would have been used. Barnstorming and Exhibition Games 1901-1962, lists only 1 game in the series at Yankee Stadium, on Oct 6, 1946. Satch, Dizzy and Rapid Robert also has them playing on Oct 4th (though while the teams played, neither Paige nor Feller pitched) It seems most likely that this program is from the game on the 6th as there is light pencil writing on the front and I can make out Sunday Oct x 1946. I can't make out the "6" definitively, but it appears to be a 6, and that game was on a Sunday. The one question on that is that the lineup includes Stan Musial who did not join the team until the 18th after the World Series. I wouldn't be surprised if he was included in the program even before he joined the team since I believe he committed to the tour earlier in the year, and he brought some additional star-power, but I am unsure. The other games were on the West Coast and it's hard to imagine that games at the end of the tour on the other coast would have a program like this, since they made special programs for the Tour. The Yankee series right at the beginning seems more logical.

I'd love to get people's thoughts on this. Also if anyone has advise on how to make it easier to read pencil writing that has been erased.
According to the book Bob Feller Ace of the Greatest Generation the All-Stars lost 4-0 with a crowd of 27,462. That was the largest crowd they had on the tour. The also played a night game in Baltimore the same day.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Awesome program
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
According to the book Bob Feller Ace of the Greatest Generation the All-Stars lost 4-0 with a crowd of 27,462. That was the largest crowd they had on the tour. The also played a night game in Baltimore the same day.
Thanks. They played at Yankee Stadium twice to the best of my knowledge, but Musial didn't play in either. I'm leaning toward it being Oct 6, and Musial having been printed in because he was a big name, since he only played a few games on the West Coast.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Cool find in one of the other programs I have from that Series. Towards the end of the Feller Tour, they played some games against other teams than the Paige teams.

Jackie Robinson, coming off his triumphant season with the Montreal Royals, played in a number of those games. He's featured in this game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6797.jpg (78.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6798.jpg (76.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 11-16-2019 at 09:54 PM.