NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Jimmie Foxx Signed Postcard Opinions (no longer available)

#1 Looking for opinions in this thread on authenticity. My hunch is that it is real but that is just my opinion.

#2 Someone it appears tried to erase or rub off the salutation. My name is Mike which would be really cool if it had not been messed with!

#3 The signature itself is perfect with no smudging and could easily be made into a perfect little "cut"....snip snip.....

#4 PC itself is un-used but is a bit wavy due to age and the way it was stored. No real creases, has some ink spots on the front and back and a pinhole top middle.

Please post opinions in thread.

Postcard is no longer available for offers.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0926.jpg (66.0 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0927.jpg (69.3 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0928.jpg (54.2 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by vthobby; 05-15-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:43 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Autograph looks really good to me. Beautiful. No idea if the salutation is in his hand though.

Tom C
Old 05-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

It's good. I do t know why someone would try to remove the personalization on this as it's fantastic. Still looks decent either way, but would be much nicer if it was washed out. I wouldn't cut it though
Old 05-10-2016, 06:30 AM
Richard Simon

I have seen glossy HOF postcards where the gloss is rubbed off at the top to make the writing surface easier to write on. Without holding this in hand my guess would be that is the case here. The sig. looks good.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thank you....

I appreciate everyone's comments and thanks Richard for that explanation as it makes sense. Do you think the salutation part is in Jimmie's hand also or do you think it might have been prepped by someone else?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I appreciate everyone's comments and thanks Richard for that explanation as it makes sense. Do you think the salutation part is in Jimmie's hand also or do you think it might have been prepped by someone else?

Thanks!

Mike
Looks to me like it was written some time after the sig by someone not named Jimmie Foxx.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Mike P.ap

Default OK......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Looks to me like it was written some time after the sig by someone not named Jimmie Foxx.
thanks and last question as to try and maximize this items potential.

Would it make sense to just leave this "as is" with the smudging and other writing or just "cut" the Foxx sig.

If it was all in Foxx's hand I would definitely just keep it as is but since the Foxx is so clean......

your thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 05-10-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
thanks and last question as to try and maximize this items potential.

Would it make sense to just leave this "as is" with the smudging and other writing or just "cut" the Foxx sig.

If it was all in Foxx's hand I would definitely just keep it as is but since the Foxx is so clean......

your thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Mike
To me the background would look a bit odd if you cut it. If he had signed it on a blank part of the picture it would be an easier decision. But if you cut it you will have a piece of his leg in the background. It would look a bit off to me, and even with the smudging and possibility that he didn't write the salutation, I would rather have the whole thing. That may just be me though.

Tom C
Old 05-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
To me the background would look a bit odd if you cut it. If he had signed it on a blank part of the picture it would be an easier decision. But if you cut it you will have a piece of his leg in the background. It would look a bit off to me, and even with the smudging and possibility that he didn't write the salutation, I would rather have the whole thing. That may just be me though.

Tom C
+1 absolutely
--
Old 05-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Great advice!

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. I will leave it "as is" and let the buyer decide. Or I may even decide to keep it since my name is Mike!

No longer available, thanks!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 05-15-2016 at 08:40 AM.