NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Larry More.y

Default Glad I collect vintage

Begin rant:

On Dec 10th, my 7 yr old son asked me to help him find a bat card of my 10 yr old son's favorite player so he can give it to him as a gift for Christmas. My 7 yr old understands ebay, as through me and my wife, he purchases pokeman cards on a regular basis. Within minutes we find a card that he likes and is in his price range.

I check the sellers feedback and handling time....feedback good and one day handling time....I buy and pay. Fast forward to today....still no card and no tracking info has been uploaded. I contact the seller and ask if there is any tracking info. His response, " Yes there will be, ships today". Wow, 10 days after the card was paid for and still has not been shipped and this is the response. Would have been nice to have received an apology or some sort of ownership for the delayed shipping.

I then let him know the intent of this purchase was to be a Xmas present.

His next response, " I'm sorry, I had a child in the hospital. If it doesn't just let me know and I will make it right.". At least he apologized this time....however, in reviewing his feedback received, he had at least 4 auctions that ended within a day or after the time of my purchase (including 2 auctions that ended 3 days later than my purchase)...this means he had shipped items after my purchase and they had been received by the buyer who subsequently left feedback. So at this point, I am not buying the child in the hospital, but who knows. Too bad he could not own the fact that he simply dropped the ball on this order and expedite the shipping. However, it took confronting him with his own feedback info for him to commit to Priority Mail the card......we will see if it arrives by the 24th.

Now, I realize that the following is not set in stone, but after years of collecting and selling I realize that both other sellers and myself will make mistakes....it happens. However, the response to the mistakes is what I am ultimately venting about. As I primarily collect/sell vintage, in the rare instances I deal with a post 80s/modern card seller and there is a mistake, almost always there is ZERO ownership of the mistake, just some BS excuses and no timely corrective action. In this case, I feel I was lied to about why the card did not ship(based on his other transactions). Who knows for sure though.

However, with a much greater sample size, when dealing with vintage sellers/collectors and there is a mistake, almost always there is some sort of ownership of the mistake, a swift corrective action and NO/minimal excuses.

Again, I realize there are exceptions either way, but.....

For this reason (as well as many others) I am glad I collect vintage cards.

End rant.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Scott Russell

I always say I don't care if a seller makes a mistake it's how they deal with a mistake that makes a great seller, I try to live by that credo when I am selling. Maybe us vintage guys are a little more old-fashioned when it comes to service. I could tell you a lot of stories out in the "real" business world that would blow your mind. companies I am trying to give my money to that can't be bothered responding to inquiries in a timely fashion.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Archive

Savedfrommyspokes,

The next time you are looking for a modern card, feel free to contact me and I will help you the best I can. Not only do I have quite a few modern cards, but I also have quite a few friends who are modern card dealers and can probably find a card for you.

I'm also a member on two other websites that trade modern cards daily.

So its just an offer, but in the future, if you want to contact me about a modern card, feel free to reach out to me and I may be able to help or find a better option than Ebay.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 12-20-2016 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added more
Old 12-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Larry More.y

Thank you Scott and Jantz....I will keep that in mind come their b-day Jantz.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I couldn't agree more. On the very rare occasion I sell a modern era card on eBay, the charlatans come out of the woodwork. Obnoxious emails and a lot of game playing. I never ever see that with vintage. If the card is from the 1980s, the nonsense starts every time.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:47 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I couldn't agree more. On the very rare occasion I sell a modern era card on eBay, the charlatans come out of the woodwork. Obnoxious emails and a lot of game playing. I never ever see that with vintage. If the card is from the 1980s, the nonsense starts every time.
I am sure there are some good folks that do collect/sell modern cards, but my luck has not permitted the pleasure of dealing with them.

This card did not arrive in time....gave my younger son a similar game used card of the same player from my extremely limited modern collection to give as a gift instead.

If this clown had just been truthful about the delay, not waited an extra day to ship (after I notified him), not had a condescending tone in his messages and had taken some ownership for his mistake, I would have not left my first negative feedback on ebay in 15 years.

Now I worry about some unreasonable shiny card clown giving me a hassle on my selling account.