NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Default Vintage Game Used Line-Up & "Batting Order" Cards

Hello all,

I was looking for some advice and examples of what managers used to use for Line-Up cards back in the 1920's-1930's time period. I have searched eBay and general internet scanning for examples, but all I could seem to find are very simple cards titled "Batting Order" cards. I don't mean scorecards that the fans would use to score a game, but rather an example of what a manager or coach would use to post their line-ups in the dugout or exchange with opposing coaches & umpires. Did all teams use the same format of line-up cards back during that time period or were there variations for different teams and/or events (World Series)? I know that line-up cards these days are very organized and elaborate and don't expect the vintage cards to be all that special, but just was curious to see what anybody may have or seen. Any and all examples would be great and Happy Holidays to all! Thanks for the help.

Bryan
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Shale Levine

I posted this a few weeks ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 048.jpg (75.6 KB, 234 views)
Old 12-28-2013, 05:34 AM

[QUOTE=Augy44;1221014]Hello all,

I was looking for some advice and examples of what managers used to use for Line-Up cards back in the 1920's-1930's time period. I have searched eBay and general internet scanning for examples, but all I could seem to find are very simple cards titled "Batting Order" cards. I don't mean scorecards that the fans would use to score a game, but rather an example of what a manager or coach would use to post their line-ups in the dugout or exchange with opposing coaches & umpires. Did all teams use the same format of line-up cards back during that time period or were there variations for different teams and/or events (World Series)? I know that line-up cards these days are very organized and elaborate and don't expect the vintage cards to be all that special, but just was curious to see what anybody may have or seen. Any and all examples would be great and Happy Holidays to all! Thanks for the help.

Bryan,
What you are asking for is a dugout lineup card. I do not have anything as early as you are requesting in my collection, but I can guarantee that they would appear to be very spartan in comparison to today's dugout lineup cards as you mentioned. These feature the lineups of both home and away teams as well as certain key reserve players that may enter the game at some point.

Here is an California Angels dugout card featuring Nolan Ryan pitching, circa 1974, that I picked up in 2013, just for comparison purposes. Note that the dugout cards were taped up to the dugout wall by the manager using first aid tape, something that is readily available in a major league clubhouse with trainers and all.

It's also important to note that dugout cards are not always filled out by the manager. Sometimes different coaches may be tasked with this responsibility. I've heard this directly from batboy's and team insiders that I know throughout the years.

Batting order lineup cards, or umpire lineup cards, are smaller than dugout lineup cards, and are the ones exchanged by managers and given to umpires at home plate prior to the actual game.

I'm curious to see what others post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan Angels 1974 dugout card.jpg (78.8 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-28-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

I don't have anything nearly that old, but the only umpire lineup cards in my collection are the ones from Jerry Reuss's No- Hitter on 6/27/80. Back of the Dodgers card is in the umpires hand stating time, attendance and only base runner was Jack Clark on a throwing error from Russell to Garvey in the first inning

image.jpg
Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Deleted double post

Last edited by parker1b2; 12-29-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Back of cards

image.jpg
Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I came across this thread when doing research for the item below and it seemed to fit nicely.

July 28th, 1934 was a Saturday, and in St. Louis, the Browns would host the Cleveland Indians for a double header. Cleveland was a strong team that season, ultimately finishing 3rd in the AL, while St. Louis (back when there was an "other" team in St. Louis besides the Cardinals) would struggle, finishing the season 18 games under .500, and in 6th place. The team featured Hal Trosky (shortened from Trojovsky) who was in middle of a tremendous rookie season, on his way to a career that likely would have gotten him to the Hall of Fame if it was not cut short by migraines. The Cleveland team featured future Hall of Famer, Earl Averill in middle one of his finest seasons. Moe Berg, the legendary catcher and spy would sit this game out. The team also featured future Hall of Famer Sam Rice, at the tail end of his career. He was 44 and would retire after the season, but still managed a respectable batting average.

On the mound for Cleveland was Mel Harder, who was having his finest season and would go on to win 20 games but he won this game by the support of his offense. Harder would walk 6 and give up 5 runs in 6 innings, but come away with the victory in a 10-8 game. He improved to 11-5.

The lineup for the game was:
1. Sam Rice
2. Earl Averill
3. Joe Vosmik
4. Hal Trosky
5. Odell Hale
6. Bill Knickerbocker
7. Johnny Burnett
8. Glenn Myatt
9. Mel Harder

Why is the lineup important? Well, it isn't particularly important. Though it is the only time that manager Walter Johnson had the lineup set this way. And the benefit in that is it allows us to pinpoint the date for this lineup card...

It's bent and pretty beaten up, the pencil is faded, and he only signed his last name, but to me this is really cool. It's a vintage line-up card, signed by Walter Johnson, and it can be linked to the exact game it was used. The back provides additional support as it makes it clear that it comes from St. Louis, where the game above was played.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 07-22-2015 at 09:05 PM.