NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I kinda like how the national chicle premiums display in the sgc holders they have a nice black border around the premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They DO look great with the black borders but I know what you're doing showing me that premium, Carl

jeff
Old 01-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Carl Lamendola

I thought you'd like like that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Jeff P

Pretty excited to have picked this up this week.

jeff
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM
FredYoung

Default 1950 Bowman

Picked this up @ a nice price in the recent Sterling Auction, an upgrade for my SGC set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50fb075f.jpg (61.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 50fb075r.jpg (52.3 KB, 200 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Robert

Beautiful card Fred!!!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Jim Brown

Happy to finally pick up one of these.. should arrive next week and expect it (like seemingly all BVG) will look cleaner in person than in scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 Topps Jim Brown.jpg (59.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Erik

Nice Brown Rookie card Ian!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Robert

I agree, that is a very strong 6 for its grade and one of the most recognized cards in football collecting.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Daniel Elsass

Jeff,

The Thorpe is spectacular!!!! You sure can find some nice items.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Jeff P

Thanks Dan!

I thought maybe everybody had forgotten "Big Jim". I've only seen two copies of this postcard in the past 5 years and the total POP (across all grades in PSA & SGC) for it is 6 so it's definitely a keeper!

jeff
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Thanks Robert/Erik.

As a cool aside, my bro in law coaches (coached??) for the Browns this year and formed bit of a friendship with Jim Brown. I know JB has had some pretty nasty moments, but apparently man to man he's a very good guy and still very involved/present in the organization (even though I guess they're not really "his" Browns anymore).
Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Thanks Robert/Erik.

As a cool aside, my bro in law coaches (coached??) for the Browns this year and formed bit of a friendship with Jim Brown. I know JB has had some pretty nasty moments, but apparently man to man he's a very good guy and still very involved/present in the organization (even though I guess they're not really "his" Browns anymore).
That is a "cool aside" Ian! To this day my dad insists Brown is the best running back of all time and it is hard to argue with him.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 01-06-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Robert

Erik my dad said he was one of the greats too but he is a big fan of the other Jim..........JIM TAYLOR. He said that and I quote "that ole boy can run and hit"...lol
Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Thanks Robert/Erik.

As a Browns fan this video had me rolling.

As a Buckeyes fan it had me nodding my head "YES".

As a parent, I could see my kids having done something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miqa-oFkIBk
Old 01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Jeff

My Walter Payton display. Approx. 35 items away from being complete.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

The card is pure junk, but I think the Auto of Ed Sabol on the HoF admission card is kind of cool. I can't swear to the authenticity of the auto, but looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sabol1.jpg (19.0 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg sabol2.jpg (19.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM

Default whatcha need??

What you need, I have tons of payton collectibles, auto cards, memorial card from soldier field funeral,

Let me know

Tucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcardboard View Post

Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
What you need, I have tons of payton collectibles, auto cards, memorial card from soldier field funeral,

Let me know

Tucker
Hi Tucker.
Im always looking for auto items. GU items, and anything odd and unusual tied to Walter. If you have a list or pictures,please PM or email. jlenny4@aol.com
Thank you.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM

Default new pickup

I just got this today. I now only need six more to have one of each post ww2 hof player.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Robert

Default Great Waterfield

Love the look of that card!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 AM
Erik

Quote:

Neat display Jeff!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Martin Parker

Default Decided to try the 1955 Topps All American set

Awesome Walter Payton collection!

Second and third purchases. First purchase (Nevers) still incoming:

Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Erik

Martin, how far are you into the 1955 All - American set?

Nice pick ups by the way.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Martin Parker

Erik,

I have 3 (the Nevers arrived today) there are 12 more incoming. Looking to do an all SGC set.

Martin

Last edited by mart8081; 01-21-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Robert

Beautiful 55 AA cards Martin! Keep you eyes on Sterlingsports Auctions upcoming auction for more of those. I have seen quite a few SGC graded 55 AA's lately.

Also John, bigredone, here on the boards may have some at his unisquare site you can purchase to help your set.

Good luck

Rob
Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart8081 View Post
Erik,

I have 3 (the Nevers arrived today) there are 12 more incoming. Looking to do an all SGC set.

Martin
That is great Martin. Good luck with the set.

Rob is right, check with John (BigRedOne) on some more. John is very meticulous on the condition of his cards.

http://www.unisquare.com/store/bigredone1944/

The link above is to John's store that Rob mentioned.

Erik
Old 01-22-2014, 01:56 AM
Martin Parker

Robert - I bought the Nevers at last months Sterling Auction (amongst a group of t206s).

Robert and Erik thanks for the tip. Am working on obtaining 6-8 more in a group. Will have to slow down a bit then.

Martin
Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 AM
Robert

Martin that is awesome brother! Glad we could help.

Let me also give you a few other places I go to look. Try going to mickeys sportcards. You can good search it to get the right address. They have some great cards for set builders and I have never had any issues at all with Mickey and Meg. You can also go to battersbox on ebay and find cards a pretty good rate.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:29 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Martin that is awesome brother! Glad we could help.

Let me also give you a few other places I go to look. Try going to mickeys sportcards. You can good search it to get the right address. They have some great cards for set builders and I have never had any issues at all with Mickey and Meg. You can also go to battersbox on ebay and find cards a pretty good rate.
I am a big fan of Battersbox on eBay. I have picked up over 40 1967 Topps Football cards from them in the past six months as well as other cards and have been very pleased.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Robert

I agree completely Erik. They gotta be one of the best kept secrets on ebay for raw cards!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Martin Parker

Guys, thanks for the warm welcome on the football boards.

I have been collecting baseball on and off since 2005 in spite of not being that big a fan of watching the game (a little slow for my tastes). I much prefer football (Raiders fan - its been a tough last 12 years) but until now haven't really gravitated to vintage football cards.

Thanks for the tips too

Martin
Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Martin

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on the fine looking 55 AA you picked up.
I think you are going to find the 55 set challenging yet very satisfying with the bold colors and card design as well as the player selection of the set. Unlike the bigger Baseball sets you won't find yourself having to go after countless common cards that make up 75% of most Baseball Sets.

I started set of 55's 3-4 years ago. Its one of the few sets I choose to do graded and of coarse they absolutely have to be in SGC slabs.

Cost was a concern for me so I chose to make an EXMT set focusing on centering(Im a centering freak), Well that didn't last long as I started to aquire some High grade cards and thought, "OK I can do NM or better"

Well that didn't last long...... LOL

Anyway its a great set and Im Exactly halfway there with 50 cards. Ive been kind of sidetracked for the last year or so and haven't added a card in awhile.

The darn things keep getting more expensive! Even the Mid grade EXMT cards!

I would also like to give a big shout out to Rob and Erik for more than kind words in mentioning my name to you.

I did have quite a few extras awhile back, but dealt most of them away.
I do still have a couple more.

This one was a PSA 7 was part of a group of PSA cards I was crossing over to SGC. They put that tiny mark on the top border cracking it out. Yes I was disappointed but they did pay me the declared value of the card. I think the card is still a solid EXMT even with that little mark. I don't know if your subbing any cards or just looking for cards that are slabbed.
asking $12 delivered Pay-Pal Gift

The only other one I have is this Marshall Goldberg. I think its a pretty darn nice one. Ive seen it go from low 30's to $40.
Asking $35 delivered Pay-pal Gift.

I would like to add some of the other 50 cards I need but seem to keep getting sidetracked by other sets and projects. Here are a few of the 50 cards I have acquired over the last 4 years or so.

This was the first card I ever got. It was part of a trade with my good buddy Mike Tavenner another board member. Could be a bit better centered, but Im content with the card considering the price of others Ive seen.

This was the next card I obtained and was why I initially set out to do Centered EXMT 80 cards. I always felt the card was nice enough to be in a SGC 84 Holder. Unfortunately, I found out it wasn't all that easy to find nice looking centered cards like the Red Grange.

Then I found this one and like the Grange felt it wouldn't look out of place in a 84 NM holder as well. Couple soft corners though, but I'll sacrifice a soft corner for the nice centering.

Then I got this one and that's when I started looking for some higher grade NM cards. As long as they had good centering, But I would in noway pass up the chance at a nicely centered EXMT card as opposed to a off centered NM card.

Then I started to land other cards like these,

And this one!

and here's the unappealing 88 another seller was trying to pitch me for like a thousand dollars more than the 84 I acquired.
I definitely think I got the better of the two cards regardless of the labels someone attached to them.

Then along came this beauty! And it just happened to be the greatest QB in Chicago Bear history!

The Hudson Rookie is the last card I have added to my set and that has been well over a year ago. I seem to rotate from one set to another and the 55 set will rotate back to the top of my listed someday.

I look forward to seeing your latest additions!

regards
John
Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM
John

Awesome post! Really enjoyed looking at the 55 AA cards. I'm not collecting the set, but I picked up the Hudson and Graham recently for my display case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hutson_Front.jpg (78.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg OTTO_Front.jpg (73.4 KB, 233 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Martin Parker

John,

You have some cards with great eye appeal! You chose the right Thorpe Thanks for the information too.

I have an SG C60 of Goldberg incoming - thank you for the offer. For now I'm sticking to SGC holders only but have to cut back a bit this month as I have business expenses to deal with first.

Martin
Old 01-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Neat display Jeff!
Thank you sir!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Erik

Quote:
Thank you sir!
You are welcome.

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in the 70's but was not a Bears fan.

We moved away but as I matured I grew to appreciate Walter Payton and became a Bears fan.

IMO, Payton was one of the greatest all around athletes ever to play the game.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Ray Novak

Default My latest addition

I guess this '35 Chicle football thing just got serious. I am so happy to have this card, and while it's my only hi number, I'm about half way through the set. I know those other hi numbers are tough, but I'm in it for the long haul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.4 KB, 187 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Jeff P

Great card, Ray! Congratulations. Reeling in a Nags is one big catch.

jeff
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 AM
Martin Parker

Nice pick-up Ray!

I don't know much about the set but will do some research.

Martin
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM

Default nice nags

Nice Pick up Ray, be on the look out for another one of those!!! CLosing in got 5 more cards to go for the 35 Chicle Set!!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM
John

Nice card Ray! Is the mark on the back? Front looks great.

Do you know much about the origin of the card? Looks to me like it might be 1 of the 10 from the Heaney collection. There were 2 graded with the same grade as yours and one of them had a really similar certification number.

Since high number Chicles were mentioned, I can't help but post my first high number which I picked up on New Year's Day to kick off 2014....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caddel_Front.jpg (66.4 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 01-28-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 AM

Default Nice Caddel

Nice Caddel looks alot nicer then 3.5 to me, I have 5 more of these bad boys to go, super excited, will take me a while but it has been a helluva ride thus far. What a great set!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM
John

Thanks - I'm trying to limit how many I have under 4 because of the set registry, but when I saw the eye appeal, I knew it would fit nicely with my collection (nothing above 5.5, but they all look nice to me). I still need 26, been fun so far.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hi all, I infrequently post here but I picked up a FB piece that has some long time collectors a bit stumped, so I thought I'd post it here and ask for feedback.

I know that Rah Rahs made pins and I know that Bart Starr formed a distributing company in 1973. It appears that Rah Rahs and Starr entered into some kind of deal to distribute their sports team pins over his likeness. I picked it up because I liked the art and image--screamed 1970s to me. Any further info on it would be appreciated. Roughly 6 x 9 cardboard, blank backed, used as a backing for a sports team pin:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Ty T.

I'm from the area that these were manufactured, so I've seen them before at shows. From what I know about them, I probably can't tell you anything that you don't already know. Rah Rahs started in the late 60's, probably around 1967-68. The pins I've mostly seen were either pro hockey (most), football, and even a little basketball (I think I've seen one of the baseball teams, but I can't remember). A couple of the pins still had the backing, one of which had a Starr back (this was 16 years ago I saw the same one). The dealer that had it figured Starr and the Winona, MN - based company just had a small endorsement deal to use his likeness with their product, much like you see with athlete endorsements today. He wasn't sure if the Starr backing was a regional or national issue. I can't guarantee the year, but my guess is 1970. It is an interesting collectible, though!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Ray Novak

Default Nagurski

John, you're right. I asked about the card and was told it was from the Heaney collection. It was the one that didn't make it into the group photo of nine that most collectors have seen. The mark, or more accurately, the marks, are all on the back of the card, which means that even though it has the MK designation, the front shows well, at least in my opinion!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM
John

Thanks Ray - appreciate the reply on the Nagurski. I had a feeling about the card, so I went to the picture of the 9 you mentioned and it wasn't there, but so close that I figured it was worth asking if you had the missing 10th. I like playing detective sometimes (on cards I'm shopping for - not randomly). I subscribed to VCP for 1 day and I was able to match several cards from sold images with either new eBay listings or PSA set registry photos - interesting to see whether a card will be flipped or disappear into a collection.

Anyway, did you pick it up at the auction? I vaguely remember it was an in person auction in PA.

Finally, I agree - front looks great.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Daniel Elsass

Added another major Ohio State item to my collection recently.

1922 Ohio State Stadium Dedication game vs Michigan. The Grand Opening of Ohio State Football Stadium Panoramic Photograph. Panoramic captures the scene and most of the seventy-one thousand in attendance measures 10" x 44".

(Click on it, then expand it twice)

Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Ray Novak

Default I wasn't there

John,

I wasn't in the room and bought the card from the high bidder. Assuming Heaney was the original owner, I know everybody who ever owned my Nags.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM
John

Hey Ray, Thanks for the reply - I'd like to go to a live auction and win a card someday - but knowing all the owners is a pretty cool thing too - Heaney must of opened a pack of Chicles like I opened a pack of 82 Topps.