NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default Fishy Super Bowl?...

Posted By: Anson

Nope, I wouldn't strip the title over bad calls. If anything, I just wish that playoff and Superbowl games would have more consistent and decisive officiating.

The game was terrible and will go down as one of the more boring Superbowls ever. No offense to the Steelers or Seahawks but they both looked very mediocre. Even the commercials weren't that great.

I'm looking forward to the Stanley Cup and MLB!

Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I won't take it away from the Steelers, just pointing out that IMO, they are the least deserving champion ever to hoist the trophy--at least in terms of their Super Bowl performance, not their other playoff victories.

<So basically the Seahawks got hosed on two plays. Did anyone remember the fumble that the refs called an incomplete pass? Did anyone think he (was it Stevens?) didn't have possession and it should have been the Steelers ball. That could have been a big play too, in the Steelers favor.>

I remember- it was a bad call. But it was 3rd down, and one play later the idiot punter kicked it into the endzone, like he did all day, giving Pitt the ball at the 20, which is better field position than where they recovered what should have been called a fumble. Hardly a big play.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Yeah, the refs made some ticky-tack calls that went against Seattle, but here's some advice for the Seahawks for the next Super Bowl (assuming they make another appearance in our lifetimes) ...

Try playing by the rules, catching the football, covering the other team's receivers, tackling guys running free in the secondary, and scoring more points than your opponent. If you do that, you'll get a nice shiny trophy, just like one of the five the Steelers have.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Administrator

4 of which were certainly impressive.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Key penalty on JACKSON. Back-up Seattle punter is FELSCH. One of the refs was named GANDIL. Hmm....

Frank

Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

All you can ask for in ANY major sporting event from officials is Consistency. In baseball, the strike zone is established in early in a game and all players ask for is that referees are consistent with the established zone. In ANY Sport, this is all that is asked for from Referees. This has been lacking ALL YEAR in Football. The Steelers just about got shafted in Indianapolis because of this, and Seattle got shafted in the Super Bowl. If the Referees had been consistent with the calls on both ends then nobody would care.

What would have happened in the game had it been called correctly? Who knows. Seattle may have lost by MORE points had the referees done a better job. But what makes me feel cheated as a fan is that regardless of what team you are rooting for, we were all robbed of a well played and well officiated game and that is wrong when so much money and fan attention is on the line.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JMcKenna

There is not a weaker rule in football than breaking the plane for a TD. Look man, the player and the ball should end up in the "end zone". Little Ben's TD has to be the lamest post season touchdown ever. The breaking the plane interpretation should be reversed. I've seen touchdowns where a player fully extends his arm a good yard, yard and a half, from the goal line. The instant the ball "breaks" the plane, it's swatted away for an apparent fumble, maybe even rolling out of the end zone for a touchback. But wait, some ref saw the nose of the ball break the plane. TD. Football blows.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Ok , let's assume that Ben didn't cross the plane. Is anyone psychic to know whether they would not have scored on 4th and an inch. You can't hold onto that fact, considering they would have went on 4th down. Also seattle was 5 for 17 on third down conversions. Hardly executing when it counts. Seattle showed nothing, and do not give me this bull about changing their momentum. Good teams, dare I say championship teams, overcome adversity. They didn't make the plays. What you fail to realize is that Seattle had more than the 3 controversial plays to do something w/ the football, and they did nothing. They were LUCKY to intercept Ben when it should have been a sure touchdown for Pitt if you want to play the should have game(that's a 14 point swing-more than enough to make up for the bad calls). Pitt may have shown little, but Seattle showed less. I hate when people make excuses. It was a bad game, but the least bad team won. While you guys continue to make excuses, I will gladly enjoy the well deserved victory by the Superbowl champion Steelers.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Administrator

I agree with a lot of your points. However, I wouldn't say that the Seahawks were LUCKY to intercept Ben. That was a horrible, underthrown pass. I might have even been able to come up with that one.

Steelers won and may have deserved it. Both teams looked like crap; it was a huge letdown either way. End of story.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Original post was a rant about how I disagree with a lot of what is said on this thread and decided to simply erase it as I know it will bring dozen's of more threads and this thread should die before the Pro Bowl so we can talk about Baseball cards again.

To quote NHL goon Todd Bertuzzi: "It is what it is".

DJ

Old 02-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

As to the holding call on the tackle against an oncoming Haggans.....Upon further review, Yes! It was clearly a hold.