NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2023, 05:07 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Value of Willie Mays cards - already peaked? Or more room at the top?

I am debating where to turn next with my Grail Card chase…. This is a bit of an uncomfortable topic so forgive me if it’s insensitive to ask.

But I would appreciate hearing others perspective (or even analysis) of the expected value of Willie Mays early issue cards (like his Bowman RC) before or after he passes. I didn’t study it carefully, but Hank Aaron’s passing seemed to coincide with COVID shut-in which double impacted his RC to very high costs.

What do you think? Do you expect it will cost much more for a Mays RC after he passes? Or is that growth in value and appreciation for his greatness already baked into the value of the card?

Thanks for your thoughts/advice

Jeff
Old 04-25-2023, 06:48 AM
Jeremy

This may not help much, because I can't say how high the bump will be or how lasting it will be. But my suspicion is, when Mays passes (and I hope not for a while), that there will be a tremendous amount of attention paid to it around baseball. I think they will introduce some kind of Willie Mays Award, there might be a push to retire 24 around baseball, and most importantly, I think there will be a move to sort of canonize him as the Greatest of All-Time. Baseball doesn't quite have its Gretzky, Jordan, or Brady, and while most would say Babe Ruth, the problem is that now that they have declared the Negro Leagues to be Major Leagues, it is problematic to have a GOAT who played segregated baseball. So Willie Mays seems like a logical choice for many reasons. I think future generations of baseball fans will hear much more about Willie Mays than Mickey Mantle because of this.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 04-25-2023, 07:06 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
This may not help much, because I can't say how high the bump will be or how lasting it will be. But my suspicion is, when Mays passes (and I hope not for a while), that there will be a tremendous amount of attention paid to it around baseball. I think they will introduce some kind of Willie Mays Award, there might be a push to retire 24 around baseball, and most importantly, I think there will be a move to sort of canonize him as the Greatest of All-Time. Baseball doesn't quite have its Gretzky, Jordan, or Brady, and while most would say Babe Ruth, the problem is that now that they have declared the Negro Leagues to be Major Leagues, it is problematic to have a GOAT who played segregated baseball. So Willie Mays seems like a logical choice for many reasons. I think future generations of baseball fans will hear much more about Willie Mays than Mickey Mantle because of this.
I hesitate to say it, but I would agree for the most part. I think we've seen a stabilization of Post-War vintage, for now, at least until the next shoe drops. I hate to talk about the potential of one of the all time greats of the game passing away, especially because at the end of the day, he's a person.

I think baseball, for the most part, truly functions without having the "Greatest of All Time" debate, constantly. Too many different eras and changes, history is also greatly ingrained within the game. Fans of the Negro Leagues, Cuban Leagues, etc do not represent the majority. Takes someone with a passion for the history of our game to really get involved with that aspect of the games past.

However, I hope concerning your last point, you are correct, as it will make it a little bit easier to finish up my Mantle run, if that becomes the case!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

There will be tremendous media attenion and accolades when Mays passes. One of the ultimate icons in the sport. Having said that, his cards have run up a ton and I'd be real surprised if a lot of people wake up the next day and decide for the first time that they want to spend $50,000 on a Mays card.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-25-2023 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I thought for years when Berra passed his cards would jump. It took covid to get any such movement in price on his cards. He is one of the single most underrated players. Might be since he was known for being a clown, but his prowess is right up there with some of the best.

Mays, has really taken off post covid. Maybe some of his signed cards might jump, but he hasnt signed since early 2010s I believe. That being said I would think a slight bump, then the sellers come out in droves, and there is a plateau. I really cant see anyone not knowing who Mays was, and all of a sudden needs a 10k card of his

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-25-2023, 08:17 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

This is all very helpful - thx all… I am less interested in buy/sell after a run up in value as I am to not have to spend up considerably later if I choose to add a nice early Mays, like his 51 Bowman.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:51 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I am debating where to turn next with my Grail Card chase…. This is a bit of an uncomfortable topic so forgive me if it’s insensitive to ask.

But I would appreciate hearing others perspective (or even analysis) of the expected value of Willie Mays early issue cards (like his Bowman RC) before or after he passes. I didn’t study it carefully, but Hank Aaron’s passing seemed to coincide with COVID shut-in which double impacted his RC to very high costs.

What do you think? Do you expect it will cost much more for a Mays RC after he passes? Or is that growth in value and appreciation for his greatness already baked into the value of the card?

Thanks for your thoughts/advice

Jeff
I hate thinking about these things but if you want a strait forward answer this is the best I can give...More for several months...then will level off.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:05 PM

I think it will go down a lot further before it starts going up again, I think most of the 1950’s and up will fall a lot further before they start going up again.
There is just to many available easy to find. Every vintage table has tons of 50’s and 60’s so boring. Stick with pre war
Old 04-25-2023, 01:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

422. Mourning Track Power
Buying up cards of a very old former player for the sole purpose of selling them at exorbitant prices on the gigantic bubble that will surely come after he passes away.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 04-25-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Very good, Darren. LOL.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:48 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

1951 Bowman and 1952 Topps in high grade will continue to go up whether he passes or not. Low grade cards of these issues will likely not. They will settle at a consistent price. He signed a ton over the years but his autograph will see a small spike when he dies although he has not signed in many years so his supply has been the same over those years as it will be when he passes.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
A card for every thread.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51B MAys.jpg (199.5 KB, 650 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-25-2023, 01:45 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK View Post
I think it will go down a lot further before it starts going up again, I think most of the 1950’s and up will fall a lot further before they start going up again.
There is just to many available easy to find. Every vintage table has tons of 50’s and 60’s so boring. Stick with pre war
t206s and 33 goudeys are more plentiful than 1952 topps!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors