NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Jon Canfield

And on a side note, you can clearly see how the card was packed in the pack... it had it's back facing the cigarettes and the top part of the card was right under the flap (you can actually see a "soiling" mark below where the flap extended down to, leaving an outline of the flap.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:38 PM

My earliest memory was opening a 1967 wax pack as a little tyke..my dad bought it for me at the US NAVAL BASE exchange..but since I didn't collect them at the time I can't recall what cards were in them. I do recall opening 1971 cello pack that came in those blue box. I was seriously collecting between 1972-1975 as a kid so I vividly recall opening packs from those years many times over. Funniest one was buying 2 wax boxes at a local 7-11 in 1975 and going what the @$#%! All the cards were miniatures..( I live in N. Calif ) then I went to the local drug store and found regular size cards...I went back to 7-11 and told them they sold strange cards..and the guy at the counter was like kid what are you talking about?

I also remember ripping open a 1971 Topps FB Rack Pack (I remember 2 Andy Russell All Pro cards on the front) and some 73 rack packs towards the end of the baseball season and getting cards from multiple series...

Ricky Yo

Last edited by Rickyy; 01-22-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlychild View Post
Same here. I opened a 1954 Football pack and a 1956 Topps Round Up (non sport)...then ate the gum.

The Round Up ended graded an 8.

Kevin

Careful Kevin, that will stunt your growth!

Here's a friend of mine opening a '62 cello pack at the National in '08. It was a blast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyX4v8u2gr8
Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default one other thing too...another 1909 pack

I bought a Ramly cig pack on ebay one time that still had the Ramly card with it. As Jon mentioned above, you could see a tiny stain in the exact spot where it was in the pack, as the pack had the stain too. It was really neat. I should have kept that card but I do still have the pack. I sent the card to SGC and it came back an 80...which is quite nice for a T204. It was sold to another board member and I don't know if he still has it or not. regards
Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I would have to say it was a 1969 Topps wax pack from when I was a kid as that is the first time I ever bought a card of any type (and I bought two at once with my first and only purchase that year). I remember opening many Rak Paks in 70-74 but hardly any wax after '72 and I also clearly remember buying 1972's out of a nickel vending machine and getting a Gil Hodges (a hot card as he had died just weeks earlier and all us Mets fans wanted one). My first (and only) vending box was in '75 from Renata Galasso from an ad in the Sporting News.

Any Raks and vending machine cards I would have bought at the famous "Coronet, 1111 Old Country Road in Westbury" (for those Long Islanders who remember their late night ads in the 80's). Raks were great because you got about ten cards in the right most pocket that were a repeat of a run in the first pocket and you could then trade your dupes real easily for what you were missing. About four Rak Paks and a couple of trades would net you a complete Series.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
John Hanssen

Default Oldest - not really a pack

I found a envople of 1911 Helmar Stamps back in 1989 all the baseball and reg stamps were stuck together, but a simple soaking seperated them fine, even was able to save some of the gum on backs. There were of guys I hadn't even heard of before. They were sold raw but I wish I had held and greaded them I didn't know how hard they are to find in top-end condition.