NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Default Speaker Autograph Question

Hi Guys,

I wonder if some of you experts can help me out. I want to know if Tris Speaker was known to ever have someone signing for him in his later years (like a wife or sister, or the like)?

Here's what I'm driving at...is it a safe bet - in general, of course - that a GPC that went to Speaker's house in the mid-1950s actually bears Speaker's sig?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Default JimStinson

To my knowledge Tris Speaker never used a proxy on through the mail requests. In fact he was SO accomodating to fans that he even went through the trouble of having postcard photos of himself made up and would often include them with autograph requests.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Default JimStinson

They look like this...
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
To my knowledge Tris Speaker never used a proxy on through the mail requests. In fact he was SO accomodating to fans that he even went through the trouble of having postcard photos of himself made up and would often include them with autograph requests.

Thanks Jim - just the kind of info I was looking for! What got me wondering was that I've seen a few Speaker autos that don't have the big looping part of the "p" through the capital "S", but some of those were on GPCs...so that got me wanting to make sure these were not known to be signed by a relative!

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 01-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM

For example, this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker Auto GPC.jpg (47.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Default JimStinson

The signature posted above is GOD awful, Its either not signed by him or he was at deaths door.....like maybe "minutes" away.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 PM

Default JimStinson

Can you post an image of the verso ?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Can you post an image of the verso ?

I have no image of the reverse on that Speaker I posted above - it is advertised as a 1955 GPC (though the slab says "index card").

I deduce from the other offerings of the seller that this Speaker is a companion to (from the same collection as) this Sam Crawford, addressed to someone named "Alan":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crawford GPC.jpg (59.3 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 01-07-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM

And also from same collection as this Schalk auto to "Alan", I'm assuming:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schalk GPC.jpg (50.8 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Default JimStinson

Both the Ray Schalk and Sam Crawford you pictured are "spot on" , I did notice the dates on the Schalk and the Crawford were 1955 & 1957, Speaker died in December of 1958. So who knows ......Maybe he WAS at death's door.

I've attached an image of an early 1950's signature on a GPC that is typical of all I've seen. Except for very early Tris Speaker signatures. They have all been very consistant.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Both the Ray Schalk and Sam Crawford you pictured are "spot on" , I did notice the dates on the Schalk and the Crawford were 1955 & 1957, Speaker died in December of 1958. So who knows ......Maybe he WAS at death's door.
Hi Jim,

The one I posted dates from 1955, so Tris was pretty near the end of his years by then. Maybe that explains it?

(And I really appreciate your input on this!)

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Default JimStinson

He died in 1958 from a massive and sudden heart attack while returning from a fishing trip. So he was healthy enough to go fishing ....
In 1955 he would have been either 66 or 67 years old not exactly what you'd call REALLY OLD..lol , Maybe someone has an example from that span that they could compare but it certainly is different
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I think all three of these were from the same collection and submition to PSA. If you look at the serial numbers on all three of the autos they are only a few digits apart. Just an observation
Drew