NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Phil

Default PSA 4 Grading

I saw what looked like a nice PSA 4 53 Bowman color Berra on eBay. It was better than my current one and I purchased it. When I opened the package this morning at first glance it looked clean, but in the light I saw several paper wrinkles in the upper left corner. I'm annoyed at the seller for not revealing that in his description, but also with PSA for giving it that grade. Apart from the criticism directed at PSA for many "sins," am I wrong to assume that a PSA 4 would have that amount of wrinkles.
berra1.jpg

berra2.jpg
Old 05-22-2020, 02:23 PM
Patrick N.

Default 4

I think you should have expected an issue like that with a 4. Usually with the lower grade cards that look better in the slab there is an actual reason for that grade. That reason doesn't always appear in the scan. I don't think the seller is responsible for further pointing out flaws in a slabbed card....., Unless asked directly.... This is also another reason buying in person is is so much better, and I will pay more as such

Last edited by mintacular; 05-22-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:23 PM
Anson

I've never been a fan of "view the scan and determine the condition for yourself" or "See pics for condition" with auctions. Let's face it, you can't see everything from a low res scan. That being said, I think this Berra still falls within PSA's guidelines. I have PSA 4s that have noticeable creases as opposed to wrinkles.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Robert Williams

I think the card looks great. I had a guy nit pick over every little nick and pick in a PSA 7 once. I basically told him, I don't think this is the card for you. It wound up selling an hour later to someone else. If you have a card that looks like a '7' that only reveals itself to be a '4' when you tilt it at a 27% angle under florescent light, well........
Old 05-22-2020, 02:30 PM
J0hn H@rper

Even though it naturally has a lot of great qualities, I would've guessed that the combo bottom right corner and t/b centering would have taken it down to a 6 max to start with. And then that wrinkling would've meant a best case 3.5, and most likely 2.5/3

I'd return it.

Edit: Can see the posters above feel differently. I don't doubt there could be some exceptions out there, but I cannot remember ever seeing a "noticeably creased" PSA 4 (unless you're referring to slight small corner folds), much less multiple ones. And have always felt something getting a 4 is usually the typical corner/edge/centering issues that go with the territory of a midgrade card, so I would have expected the downgrade to be from minor edge issues somewhere that you couldn't easily see or something like that. I totally disagree with so much slack being given to that Berra getting that high of a grade.

Last edited by cardsagain74; 05-22-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:04 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Psa 4

I don't see any issue with the seller here. The card is a PSA 4. The seller didn't grade it, PSA did. There are thousands of cards graded by PSA out there in listings that just have the grade and that's it. OP bought a 4 and that's what he got whether he likes the card grade or not.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Does anyone even for a moment think that the seller's use of that particular photo was an 'unintentional' mistake?? A photo that utterly disguises all of the wrinkling???? I would not be happy.

Edited to add:
I've got to provide a bit of a correction. I was under the impression that the first picture posted here was from the ebay listing, but now I see it wasn't. In looking at the original listing, the photo is without any glare, but still very small and the wrinkling is completely lost to the viewer.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 05-22-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:32 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Does anyone even for a moment think that the seller's use of that particular photo was an 'unintentional' mistake?? A photo that utterly disguises all of the wrinkling???? I would not be happy.
I have three cards graded a "3" and they do demonstrate having a wrinkle, but no creasing. I have some ungraded cards as well that have either a wrinkle or a crease that's only noticeable under a light, but the sellers indicated as such. I'm replacing my other Berra which a solid, ungraded very good card. It has a wrinkle that goes from the left edge to just inside the arm and it lost a bit of its luster, but without any damage. The card I just received displays better, but it also cost more money, I expected better based on other PSA 4 cards I have received from auctions.

Yes, PSA graded the card and I disagree with their assessment on this one. For me, a description of a card is not solely based on the grade of the slab or its photo, having an accompanying description serves as a guide to better evaluate whether or not to purchase it. Had I seen "wrinkles" in the description, I would have passed and waited for another one to appear.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default PSA 4 Berra

This card is actually accurately graded as per original standards has nice appeal, only last two years did PSA & SGC not figure "wrinkles" as a 4, a crease always was a 3 especially if the surface was broken but this card is better than a 3 and unless you specifically asked if there were wrinkles or hidden defects, the seller did nothing wrong, of course if your not happy, return the card as you have the right to do that as per e bay, and the seller has to accept this....I do understand how you feel this way as the wrinkles are evident in your scan.

Last edited by painthistorian; 05-22-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:18 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I expected better based on other PSA 4 cards I have received from auctions.
Again, I would have felt the same way. None of my PSA 4s have anything that resembles those creases/wrinkles. Nor do the countless ones I've observed online or in person. Regardless of when they were graded.

These opinions that it's so normal, accurate, and expected for a 4 to possibly have that level of damage are honestly baffling. Especially for a card that's already going to lose ground from its centering/bottom right conrner

Last edited by cardsagain74; 05-22-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Again, I would have felt the same way. None of my PSA 4s have anything that resembles those creases/wrinkles. Nor do the countless ones I've observed online or in person. Regardless of when they were graded.

These opinions that it's so normal, accurate, and expected for a 4 to possibly have that level of damage are honestly baffling. Especially for a card that's already going to lose ground from its centering/bottom right conrner
The selection of 53 Bowman Berra cards is rather poor. I bought the card, not the holder because it had eye appeal and the price was reasonable in light of the grades and prices that are currently offered. A very good to excellent card for me has some softness in the corners and may not be perfectly centered. I worked card shows and in baseball card shops from 1975-1996 so I have had experience with grading.

I realize that grading is very subjective, even when there are more or less guidelines that have been established. Right now I have a Kretlow with perfect centering and a nice image; its flaw is that it has a minuscule paper wrinkle on the top right of the card. It was advertised as vg/ex by the seller I purchased it from and though I'm tempted to keep it as it looks great I am trying to have a wrinkle and crease-free mid-grade set. I will advertise it as vg/ex because there is damage to the card as light as it is.

I was hoping this Berra would be a keeper, but I guess I'll have to keep searching and hope I run across another vg/ex to excellent condition card at the price I paid for this copy. Thank you for the feedback from both sides of the equation.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:25 AM

The seller accepts returns. If you are unhappy with the grade, return it. I think the card is over graded and the scans don’t really show the creasing. I would have noted the damage in my description as I try to avoid any condition miscommunication issues that would lead to returns and would insure the buyer is happy with their purchase.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:28 AM
Howie Schenker

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
This card is actually accurately graded as per original standards has nice appeal, only last two years did PSA & SGC not figure "wrinkles" as a 4, a crease always was a 3 especially if the surface was broken but this card is better than a 3 and unless you specifically asked if there were wrinkles or hidden defects, the seller did nothing wrong, of course if your not happy, return the card as you have the right to do that as per e bay, and the seller has to accept this....I do understand how you feel this way as the wrinkles are evident in your scan.
So what grade would an otherwise MT card likely get from PSA these days with a barely there wrinkle?

Last edited by moeson; 05-23-2020 at 10:28 AM.