NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Default if you started collecting pre war in your 20's (not 1920's)

Posted By: nbrazil

just curious as to how many of you started collecting pre war cards in your 20's or younger? The question is mainly focused on those in their 20's NOW (as i am in that age group)...what brought you into it? generally speaking, pre war collectors are far older (and "situated" in life)...the median age group of the posters in this forum is probably 15-20 years older. mainly because younger collectors are more exposed to more modern cards and don't really have the money to support a large undertaking of collecting pre war cards (money, i think, is such a huge factor in why younger collectors dont go into pre war). Additionally, there is usually a gap in between collecting when you were a kid and then coming back into the hobby...that gap usually takes place once someone hits college and ends when one becomes more situated financially in life.

the question can be generalized to all who started collecting pre war in their 20's (it's less relevant for those of who were in your 20's...say, in the 1980's because pre war cards back are not as pricey and were not salient in a lot of collectors minds (as opposed to say, don mattingly, jose canseco and darryl strawberry cards). a lot of people talk about how they collect cards from their childhood. well, if that is the case with us 20 year olds..we should be hoarding 1988 donruss cards. Why pre war?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

I purchased them when I was 24. I really began to collect T206 cards in earnest when I was 26 or 27, and I haven't really looked back. I am now 32.

By 1998 I knew not to purchase modern glossy crap anymore. I never bought into the serial numbered cards/game-used cards/etc. which I viewed then and continue to view as artificial scarcity. How jazzed can someone really get about Lebron James cards that were manufactured yesterday? What if he breaks his leg tomorrow and never plays again?

Old 02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

I first started collecting in 1988 and purchased my first Donruss cards from ToyRus. I'm now 27 and its been four years since I purchased my first vintage card.

I still vividly recall when I first started collecting, looking at b/w photos of T206 Wagner and Cobb Portraits hoping one day to afford one.

Fast forward to 2002 and I'm in Kosovo spending some off time surfuring the web. Times had changed, I was no longer a 4ft tall kid rather I was now a single army officer, collecting a tax free paycheck and not spending any of it. I found a Red Cobb EPDG on Ebay for $300 that later graded as a SGC 40. Been collecting T206 Cobbs ever since.

Brian E.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I'm 28 and started collecting T206's last year b/c I liked the way the cards looked. I actually got started by finding this site looking for something completely different and once I started looking at the pictures posted on the website I instantly fell in love with the cards.

What actually made me make the jump from newer cards to vintage was the fact that I could get some nice cards of some very famous people for about the price of a current rookie that had not even made it to the majors yet. While I still collect my basball heros from when I was a kid (Canseco, Griffey, McGwire, etc) I have a better appreciation for the past now and the players that helped form the game and have since given up on current players on the most part to focus on some of the all time greats.

Your post hit it right on the mark since I quit collecting when I was about to start college and didn't start up again until a couple of years after I was out. Why collect little pieces of cardboard when you have more important thing to focus on in college, like getting up enough money to buy beer for the weekend.

Now if I could just pay off those damn student loans...my collection would grow alot faster.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I actually know more folks on this board that are in their 20s or early 30s than otherwise.

I'm 30. Of course, the monster sucked me in as well. I stopped collecting in the early 90s because I couldn't keep track of all the new products that were modern baseball cards. I'm glad I did.

robert

Old 02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I'm 28, and have been collecting vintage pre-war for about 3 yrs, and cards in general for 15. Love it, and this board has really expanded my knowledge and increased my love for old, musty, cardboard photos of dead guys.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete ullman

i'm 36 and have been a bb card collector most of my life. i've always been interested in bb history as well. i collected 50's-present as a kid with a focus on hof'ers and yankees. my first 2 vintage cards are pictured below. the matty i paid $2 for at one of my first big shows and i paid $5 for the criger from a local card shop. i sold my collection after i wrecked my first car to buy another but kept some. i got interested in cards again in college and went mad buying early 90's crap...and this rekindled my interest in cards and i vowed to never buy a card i once owned so i focused on vintage. first t-206's esp the backs and some caramels. i decided i wanted to be a type collector years ago but it's become the impossible dream. i wish i had leon's collection!

pete

Old 02-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

I'm 29 and started collecting T206 cards back in August of 2003.

Why??? Two reasons:

1. I had stopped collecting in 1992 because of all the crap on the market (I have thousands of cards from 1981 to 1992). I wanted to get back into it and was originally going to go for cards from the 50s.

2. I visited Cooperstown that summer and names like Mathewson, Young, and Cobb interested me more than Aaron, Ford, or Drysdale.

Hence, my T206 collection was started. 2 and 1/2 years later, I have over 140 cards in the set... along with a T200 Giants, a few Hornsby, Carl Mays, and Sisler cards from the 20s.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Im 40 and started collecting vintage at 13 years old in 1979. My very first card was a T206 Unglaub in EX for $3 (I loved the name). My first big card was to trade a Bench rookie and Ryan rookie and a couple other 1960s cards for a R319 Ruth #144. my first exotic "type" card was a W555 Wagner I picked up for $75. I learned the most when I bought all 3 of Lew Lipsets books and subscribed to "The Old Judge" in the mid80s. I stopped collecting for a few years a couple times, once in late 80s and once in late 90s and gutted my collection for needed cash and other priorities. I wish I never did, I had picked up some good stuff in the early 90s when the prices were a bit lower on the exotic "type card" stuff.

BTW I still feel like Im in my 20s....... I still listen to modern alternative music, surf, ski, mountain bike, have tattoos and date a 26 year old.

Frank

Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jpaol99

I am 22 and never really took a break from collecting once I started at 13. The issues I collected however did. I started with 60-80's cards and worked my way back. I have been mainly focusing on pre-20 issues since I was 18 or so. The set that really pulled me into vintage was the 1933 goudey set. The history of the players and even the look and feel of the cards themselves fascinated me. From there I have went into caramel, tobacco, and even some 19th century issues. Not only do I like to collect but I also look at my cards as a potential investment. Its not just throwing money into the wind like some hobbies.

Justin

my site
http://imageevent.com/jpaol99

Old 02-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I was 17 when I bought my first pre-war card in 1980. They weren't my primary focus then, as putting together a 1955 Topps set was my first passion. Can't explain why I went after that other than it was fairly small (206 cards), had Killebrew's rookie and most importantly, no Mantle. After I moved from MN and got stationed in Philadelphia in 1982 and met Ron Oser and Bill Bossert did I really get more focused on pre-war cards. Today, I collect only pre-war. I'll buy the occasional pack of new cards just for nostalgia sake. Sadly, there is no more gum.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: c57&t206 collector

i start collect pre war hockey and baseball cards when i was 20 years old. The pre war cards is the best investment you can do in your life. I paid my Mustang Cobra with a couple of my hockey and baseball card in 2004. For my part i collect only two set : hockey : c57 1912-13 and baseball t206 1909 11. Now i am 24 years old and i collect t206 since only two or 3 month. I started my t206 serie by the magie error card. I collect t206 cards because the looking of the card is verry nice.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hines

I began collecting cards in the mid 80's as a kid. I became a vintage card collector as a teenager after the 1989 Billy Ripken Fleer fiasco really opened my eyes to the "new" stuff. By the time I was 20 I had a pretty sizable Cincinnati Reds collection dating back to the "Old Judge." Now at 33 I am still an avid Cincinnati team collector as well as a 19th Century type card collector. I think my 20's really helped define my collecting habits. My teen and earlier years were driven by fads. My "30's" are now driven by priorities (do I buy the Old Judge Gus Schmelz or buy the size 5 diapers for the little one). Really tough to decide sometimes!

Tom

Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

cut my teeth on the t206 set starting at age 12. i'm currently holding at 50.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I bought my first pre-war card, a tattered t206 Red Ames at a flea market in 1986 at the ripe old age of 11. I've always loved older cards, but have dabbled in modern stuff as well. I'm pretty much exclusively pre-1960 except for Topps Venezuelan and Orioles stuff I need. I sold off my entire pre-war collection at age 18 for $125 I repented in 1998, and have made the long way back. I only have 50-60 pre-war cards. However, in the mix are a Cobb, Gehrig, and many other HOFers

James

Old 02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I'm also 28 (is that the modal age here?), started collecting baseball cards in 1986, got out of it in 1992, jumped back in when I finally found ebay in 2002 and picked up my first pre-war cards (T205 and T206 Matty) in 2003.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I can remember going to AJ Hobbies in New Brighton, MN when I was 8 years old and buying penny cards that were from the 50s and 60s...that was about 20 years ago now (makes me 28 now). They actually had a very nice collection of pre war cards, a few Old Judges and T206's, I could hardly believe that cards were made before 1952 Topps.

I did collect my fair share of the 1980's and 1990's stuff, saving my allowance for weeks to buy the 1986 Topps Traded set (I loved Jose Canseco and Barry Bonds) for probably $10, that's like saving for a Matty these days. I still love Harmon Killebrew and will continue to look for his cards, I wrote to him when I was around 10 years old and he sent me a hand written postcard and sent me an autographed baseball card of his (who playing today would do that?).

I bought my first T206 card last year (started collecting the Minneapolis team) and fell back in love again with cards...not the current stuff, but the pre-war cards and thinking about the history of them: who has owned or traded the cards I now own is pretty cool and to think they have changed hands for the past 100 years and they are still around (can't say that for many things I bought 5 years ago).

Like many said, I stopped collecting in 10th grade or so and went to college with no money and came out with less money.

It's interesting to be collecting history.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I am 24 years young and started collecting prewar mainly because of this board a few months ago. I collected 50's and 60's oddball cards and was contracted to sell a friends collection which had prewar cards. I met Richard LLoyd through selling oddball 50's stuff and he directed me to this website. I have been hooked ever since. In the last few months I have aquired 23 prewar cards that have stayed in my personal collection.

http://imageevent.com/joejo20

Old 02-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Minneapolis t206 cards are some of the prettiest out there. O'Neil is my favorite card in the set, with Oberlin not far behind. As far as Killebrew stuff, I have been thinking of moving a couple of his items, e-mail me if interested.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I bought my first couple of T206s when I was 14 back in 1980. They were a Cobb portrait - red and a Lajoie with bat. They are still among my favorite T206s.
JimB

Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I am also 24 years old. I started collecting pre-1950 and never really got into any of the new "stuff". I first started collecting when I was about 9 or so and pre-1950r was the focus mainly because my father directed me that way; saying it would be a better investment in the long run. I soon developed a love for early cigarette packs that held baseball cards and have been hooked on them every since. By age 11, I put together a 1948 bowman set which was really my first dable with cards. I then expanded to early and rare autographs. I started collecting more cards after being told about this site by Leon. I am really a set collector as opposed to a type collector so i dedicate my collection to a set at a time until complete.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ernst

I was 24 in 1971 when a gentleman who grew in up NYC and was probably 70+ in 1971 emptied about 1100 tobacco cards (birds, olympic athletes, etc., including about 1000 T205 and T206.) At that point I had all the Topps sets except for some of the 52 high numbers and some of the 51's, and had 48-55 Bowman pretty well done.
It was a natural change, and boy, did those tobacco cards get me hooked! That took me into E101, 102, 98, 90-3, etc.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I began collecting T206s in 1979 when I was 16 years old. My first three were 3-Finger Brown, Roger Bresnahan and Willie Keeler, $10 for all three. By 1985, I had all the hall of famers except Plank and Wagner, plus the Demmitt, Smith, Dahlen, Elberfeld, Kleinow and Browne rarities. Back then, you could get the HOFers for $15-$30 each, and the Cobb's cost me $80-$100 each. All of them were in today's professional grading terms, vg-ex or better. I have to thank my mother, who really was the major player in me being able to collect, as she funded my habit until I got a job, and NEVER threw any of my cards away. In fact, one year for my birthday, she bought me 1933 Goudeys of Ruth and Gehrig

For some reason, I just really loved the pre-WWI cards. I also had a Mike Kelly N28, N162 and N172, a T227 Cobb, N28s of Clarkson and Keefe, an e90-2 Wagner and T205, T207 and T3 Walter Johnson. Unfortunately, I sold all of my cards in 1991, and have just begun re-collecting them within the past 3 years.

The most amazing thing is that 1933 Ruth (#53) that my mother bought me in 1979, and I sold in 1991. When I had it and then sold it, it was raw. In 2001, I found it on ebay, graded a PSA 1 (same condition that it was in when I owned it). It wasn't another example of the card, it was the SAME EXACT card! I remembered every crease, stain and mark on it. That card, I guarantee you, will never leave my possession!

Steve

Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

I was 12 or 13 when I purchased my first T-cards and have been buying them ever since.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When I was young, I was simultaniously interested in then new, 1950s-60s and Pre-War baseball cards. I once pulled a Greg Maddux Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor from a pack (which means I bought the pack), and the experience didn't warp me.

No matter within what genre of collecting, I think that as long as you buy authentic, are knowledgeable about the material and are as reasonably aware as possible of the market (for example, Greg Jeffries rookie cards might stay hot forever), you are in good shape. If you buy authentic/properly LOA'ed 1950s-60s Hollywood autographs at fair prices today you won't regret the choice in ten years, even if in ten years you decide autographs don't interest you anymore and switch to baseball cards. You'll be able to proverbally trade in your authentic Steve McQueen signed photo for a Cy Young card and your Marlon Brando for a Joe DiMaggio. You would be dissapointed with your old autograh purchases if they all turn out to be forgeries or you invested top dollar on Eric Estrada signatures while Chips was live.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Shannon

This is one of my first E cards that I purchased. I bought it in 1979 at the Willow Grove show, Which is now held at the Fort Washington Expo Center. I paid $20......I'm 42.

e90-1 Young

Old 02-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

I picked up my first T 206's at a junk barn in Georgia in the mid 70's, McGinitty and Casey. I was about 13 or so.

I loved history, so I was always going to garage sales and flea markets asking for old Cardinal cards, which at the time were mainly 60's and back.

I got some more T206's at a flea market, including Deacon Phillippe, who was my hero after reading a Fleer WS cartoon card about all the complete games he threw in the WS one year.

Went to college, had no money, then sunk gobs in 80's wax cases......

About 1993 I had an epiphany when the price guides were listing 10 pages of the current year cards, and 1/2 page of pre 1970, and slowly returned to vintage stuff.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Bob S.
You must have a great collection!
Have you been collecting e cards for that long?

Robert

Old 02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Shannon

Robert A, Yes I have been collecting E cards for that long. I did take a 15 year break. The whole wife,kids and house thing got in the way. I credit e-bay with getting me back into collecting.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeB

I began collecting cards in 1974 as a nine year old. Like alot of people I collected the new cards with each year. In 1992 I went to the National in Atlanta. I bought a t202 Just before the battle with Mathewson and Meyers. I was 27 years old, and now collect several vintage sets. I may never finish any of them because I am constantly staring new sets.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wayne

Ahhh yes...memories. I too am only 29 years old, but got into it about 4 years ago by stumbling into a golf/sporting goods/ball card type consignment shop a gentleman in my town opened about that time. In his glass case of common 70's and 80's cards (amoungst a few semi vintage stuff) were the cards that would start this t-206 passion thats been with me for the last 4 years:

wheat

gandil

lundgren/kansas city

&

Vic Willis/throwing

He had all these listed for $20.00 a piece, imo he couldnt of known the value! (yes they are authentic, and in VG/EX condition) But the beauty of those cards, linked with the exileration of that great deal, brought me to the mercy of the monster. I'm lovin' every minute of it!!!

I may be collecting at a slow pace (only 50 up to now, avg. PSA, GAI, 4 & 5's), but I'm having a blast!

Old 02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

and I love pre-war!

Old 02-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

I'm 33 now and I started picking up T202s about 5 years ago in 2001. I think that they are neat looking cards and by that time I finally started having the disposable income and patience that allowed me to spend $50-100 on a single card. I still collect some modern, I like the shiny rainbowy plastic stuff too, but you really need to pay more attention to price points and value with newer cards to avoid getting totally soaked.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

While I'm now just outside of the 20-something window, I did start collecting vintage at an the early age of 15, about 3 1/2 years after buying my first baseball cards from the local gas station ('84 Topps hoping to collect the eventual World Series Champ '84 Tigers).

My first vintage cards included a couple T206s and a couple Old Judges, my long time favorites. My first Detroit Old Judge was a portrait of the Wolves manager, Bill Watkins, courtesy of a 1989 Lew Lipset auction. Some of those early purchases are amongst my most prized.

Like many others, I did leave the hobby while in college but came back as strong as ever a couple years back with eBay, some of my Net54 friends, and some long time collecting friends being a major help.

Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 02-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike W

I started getting interested in pre war around 1998 or so, at the ripe age of 20. I think it was around this time I started to explore baseball's history and learn about the players who made it. E-bay, still new, gave me "permission" to entertain the idea of pursuing these vintage cards at such a young age. I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to inquire about a Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb card otherwise.
I used to think I was the youngest vintage card collector out there... but in reality I was just a part of what looks like a young - vintage card collecting movement.

My first pre war card was a 1933 Goudey Ruth #53.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harrison

I started collecting when I was 12. I started collecting because I play fantasy baseball on whatifsports.com and you can make a team with guys from 1887-2005. So you can have Ed Delahanty and Carlos Beltran on the same team, you get the point. Well after playing for a while I decided I wanted one of the .400 hitters baseball cards, no specific player or type of card either. So I went on ebay and searched all their names, Lajoie, Jennings, Keeler, ect.. Then I found a T206 Jim Delahanty card VG condition and I bought it for $22.00. When I had bought the card on ebay I thought it was just a normal size card but when I got it I saw that it was small. From the second I saw it I wanted to get the whole set.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

thanks for answering my questions, guys. i guess i didnt realize how many 20 year olds frequent these forums. I still think the majority of pre war collectors are over the age of 35, but it's still good to see that there is a building pre war collecting community amongst the younger generation.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

I began collecting seriously in 1976 at age 25.

I focused immediately on ultra rare cards in top condition
because they were the most interesting and I knew they
were bound to increase in value.

I began with R-300 Geroge Millers and completed the
set minus Andrews within 4 years..then R 328, Delongs
and rare E cards.

In my third year I bought Four Base Hits and just So cards
for a record price of $750 each...

Always focus on the best items you can afford..the high end
of any market is the most interesting and always holds its
value/

I am writing a book now called "When It Was a Hobby- A Collector
Tells All..."

good luck

Bruce Dorskind

Old 12-22-2010, 09:17 AM

i started collecting in the late 80's and it was all about foil and rc that where massed produced and of course i bought in. i quite collecting in 95 befor the patch's and auto's where in packs and when i got back into cards i bought new cards and they just sucked so bad that i went on ebay and looked at what else baseball cards had to offer. i bought a t206 to see what they are about and started researching what other cards where around from the same period and they blew away anything that is made now of course i made mistakes paying a lot of money for a fake d304 but i know what im looking for now. Whats funny about when i collected cards during the late 80's through the early 90's was that the 33 goudey ruth was the first cards that where ever made but i was wrong but then to a 10 year old boy that was the pinnacle of cards.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Donny Muth

Default My pre-war start

I started collecting pre-war by high school, if not middle school. I had started collecting 50's-60's stuff earlier... I purchased my first Mickey Mantle card from a Memphis area dealer when I was around 11-12 years old. I'm 35 now, so my pre-war phase probably started in the late 80's and ramped up through the early 90's. My first T206 was a Jeff Pfeffer from a school mate, but my second was a T206 Mordecai Brown Cubs chest that I bought at a local card show. I think I also got my first '33 Goudey in HS. In college I continued to buy some pre-war including a couple of T205s, one T207, many T206s, and some more '33 Goudeys.

Starting back then you could really only find pre-war at card shows. If I had had resources like Net54, eBay, etc. back when I started on pre-war then I might have a much larger collection today. There's been a ton of $18-25 T206s on the B/S/T boards lately and I would have grabbed those up back then in my buying sprees. Now, with kids and family and living on a Dave Ramsey budget, I'm much more cautious on how much I spend on cards. Still, I'm so glad my eyes were opened to old cards... if it weren't for them I would have surely been long gone from the hobby by now.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Joe

You bring up old threads like this and Archive might get slapped with another law suit. Just saying.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

I began collecting seriously in 1976 at age 25.

I focused immediately on ultra rare cards in top condition
because they were the most interesting and I knew they
were bound to increase in value.

I began with R-300 Geroge Millers and completed the
set minus Andrews within 4 years..then R 328, Delongs
and rare E cards.

In my third year I bought Four Base Hits and just So cards
for a record price of $750 each...

Always focus on the best items you can afford..the high end
of any market is the most interesting and always holds its
value/

I am writing a book now called "When It Was a Hobby- A Collector
Tells All..."

good luck

Bruce Dorskind

Well, since the thread was brought up- is this a rare glimpse of Bruce actually using the letter "I" instead of "we"?! I am shocked !!!

Clayton
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
R Dixon

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
You bring up old threads like this and Archive might get slapped with another law suit. Just saying.
That whole thing never stops being funny!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I got my first prewar card that I can recall, a T206 Johnson, when I was 11 or 12 (I am 45) at a card show in Anaheim, California. I still have it. Cost me twelve bucks, which was quite a sum for me at the time. The first "old" card I can recall owning is a 1952 Topps Walt Dropo that I got probably when I was 7 or 8. Still have that too, and felt a bit of a twinge of sadness when I heard Mr. Dropo passed away recently.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-22-2010 at 11:11 AM.