NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Default Official vintage card gripe thread

Posted By: Bryan

We all have complaints or things we would like to change about the hobby. Here is a chance to speak up without highjacking a different thread.

My most current gripe has to be sellers who put non-vintage cards in the vintage card categories (pre-1930, and 1930-40) on ebay. Petty, but annoying.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Thats a good one. I cant stand that either. A 2002 Upper Deck Babe Ruth card does not belong in the Pre-1930 section!

Why I dont get is, what are these proclaimed rare graded FGS Gem 10? magazine cut-outs that you see people bidding on? Since when is a magazine cut out of Mickey Mantle from 1951 considered a rookie? And why do some people bid hundreds of dollars on them? And of course they're all Gem 10, all you need is and exacto knife and a ruler. I've been collecting, mostly vinatge cards for the past 15 years and I've never seen anything like them, until Ebay of course. Did I miss something?

Old 12-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

My gripe is that persons who operate like Andy's Feldman can and do get away with mail fraud. To me offering a GAI 1.5 Mantle and then sending a picture of one is grounds for justifiable homicide.

Perhaps that is why I am not a candidate for the Legislative Branch of our govt., nor the Executive Branch. I am just a vigilante in my dreams, but I wish there was a defined path to follow which would prevent the continual influx of scammers in our hobby.

The inability to get what you pay for is hurting this hobby. I feel lucky when I get close to what was described.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

on eBay's second page of an auction. The lists seldom present the true picture of exactly when the bids were made...

Sometimes it's nice to know if you sniped too soon, or what happened, if you lost...

Old 12-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Have you considered a career as a bounty hunter?

Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I hate ajsports and other sellers that list TCMA and Conlon cards in the based on the year the player played, rather than when the card was produced. I make a point of filing a complaint with eBay every time I see this. Hopelly eBay will eventually get tired of my complaints and make them stop posting their cards in the wrong catagory.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike M

Along the same line, eBay should have a catagory specifically for reprints. Keep them out of my pre 1930 section!

Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

this one is fair. Riiiiight.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I don't know which pisses me off more - sellers who don't respond at all to your email inquiries, sellers that take forever to respond to your email inquiries or sellers who immediately respond, but don't provide the information you've requested.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

How about sellers who take their auctions off because they've been offered an offline offer. Use "Submit Best Offer!"

Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

I cannot directly agree with the complaing about a 1960's card depicting a pre-war player being placed in both categories. I think it's a good thing. For example: the Gibson Toleteros card. It can legitimately be placed in both departments. I spend my time looking for Jackson cards in the pre-1930's category. That being said, i would not have a problem with his Playball card being put in that category as well.

<edited to add: i do agree with the "reprint" category>
Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 12-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

Im with Mike M with the reprints and Jay with all that other crap that doesnot belong in pre1930s. I have more Ill list later, but those 2 pop in my mind right away.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Lots of folks who collect pre-1930 also like the Golden Press, Fleer, Callahan, etc. tribute cards. Me among them. I don't mind having them listed. I also don't mind other sports cards from major mixed sports sets (e.g., N28). What I do mind greatly are reprints and cutouts.

Edited to say: Farmer Ted doesn't mean he's a farmer; it is a film reference. What film. Anyone? Bueller?

Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

16 candles

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator

That 's all fine and good that people enjoy Callahan, Fleer, TCMA and other sets featuring retired players, but that still doesn't justify putting a 1970s TCMA card in the 1930s section. If you collect these sets, you know when they were produced and you know what catagory to find the cards in. Why should others have to wade thru a bunch of cards that don't belong in the catagory if people are too lazy to look for them in the proper catagory?

Personally, I don't use much catagory searches. Everything is keyword searched, but I still get these cards showing up because whack-offs like ajsports refuse to properly describe their cards so I can get them deleted from search without losing cards I want to find.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Administrator

If it's just a few sellers peddling most of this garbage in our category, maybe there's a solution. As far as I am aware, this isn't a feature that's currently available in advanced search, but maybe they could offer an option of excluding certain sellers. Or better yet, maybe they could just let us set our default personal preferences to never return listings from certain sellers.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nate

No, that would never work...it makes too much sense.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Administrator

..about being a bounty hunter? What'd I say wrong?

Old 12-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Julie,

No. Sorry about that. If you check the times, you'll see that you probably posted your comment while I was typing mine (I don't type very quickly). It was intended for Gil.

But just out of curiosity -- have you?

Old 12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator

wouldn't the field be sort of crowded?

Old 12-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

I appended "-spalding -spink -reach -putnam -dutton -conlin -whitman" to the MLB Singles pre-1930 category in my favorite eBay searches so I don't have to look at libertyforall's crap. I agree that it would be a good thing if there were a way to exclude certain sellers from searches but I won't hold my breath waiting for eBay to do anything. They like their cesspool the way it is.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Administrator

just to save you some typing: "-(spalding, spink, reach, putnam, dutton, conlin, whitman)"

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I refuse to bid on the auctions of sellers who sell raw cards with descriptions in the title such as "EX/MT 6" based upon their own (highly inflated) opinion of the condition of the card.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

that should go for our b/s/t forum as well...leave out grades of raw cards and "dont" over grade them...i see cards in poor condition and the seller says "fair to good" and puts the price up 100% or more over book...if you want to over price, list it on ebay not here...i've noticed a lot of good cards not being sold on the b/s/t because people think their cards are in better shape than they really are...

Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I'm slightly changing this to include memorabilia....I hate when sellers list SOFTBALLS as baseballs. I also hate seeing photographs listed as "original" that are anything but original. I hate the word "antique" being used to describe photos that are new prints of old baseball scenes. And I really hate any kind of auction for a reproduction item not being labelled as such in the title.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

I've suggested many times to eBay that they allow you filter out unwanted sellers. As was pointed out, it makes too much sense. They will never do it because sellers would raise hell and claim that it is causing them to lose. Don't know why they would care since they have already lost the business if someone is willing to filter out a sellers auctions.

Jay

Old 12-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Jay -
It isn't simply a matter of "what's a good idea" and "what's not a good idea". Politics aside, it's not as easy for ebay to simply "add" a feature. Many times, it is very difficult from a coding/technical standpoint. One might argue that had they done a better job of building the platform, that would not be the case. That, however, is another arguement for another time. Just because they do or do not want to do it, does not mean it is feasible.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

email me

Old 12-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Old 12-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Re: Did you two guys mean "Conlon"?
"Conlin" is how our esteemed vendor Mr. Huff spells it, ergo it is how I spell it in my search filter. I keep adding names as he keeps ripping apart books.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

Jay,

I agree with you 100%. I have looked all over the place on eBay to see if this option was available. If eBay is listening I would probably pay for the service.

I seller can block a bidder from bidding on their auctions, but a bidder can't block a seller? Makes alot of sense.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

but not actually stated...

Wish he'd go Huff a whole bunch of ether...how could anyone STAND that smell, taste, feeling...YUK!!!

Old 12-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Old 12-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

At least one little pet peeve is when you are buying a card for the scarcity of the back and only the front is shown....