NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Too Many Happy Hours at Topps

One from the 'What were they thinking?' file.

While looking at the 1962 set, I ran across this card and couldn't help but wonder if the people at Topps were really hitting the happy hours hard in Brooklyn at the time.

$_3.jpg

They put the oval caption section in the exact same place it is found on horizontal-based cards in the set (like the Pride of the A's card below)...but this card is situated vertically. Why didn't they put it at the bottom where you could read it without awkwardly tilting the card (like the Homer Kings card below)?? It surely would fit. How in heck does the layout they created make any kind of sense?? It is beyond ridiculous looking and it just makes me laugh. Their art department must have been way boozy in those days, causing them to drop the ball (pun definitely intended)!!

$_57.jpg

$_57-1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Rich Klein

Default to me

it's just as interesting that Roy McMillian has that card and an All-Star card in the 62 Set but no regular issue card. How do you forget to make his card with those others?

Rich
Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 AM
D.an Jackso.n

1962 32 MLN NL 137 544 468 66 115 13 0 12 41 2 2 60 53 .246 .336 .350 .687 88 164 14 5 9 2 0 *6

More interesting that McMillan was deemed an All-Star with a .246 avg 12HRs and 41 ribbies. Of course it was the 62 Mets and I guess they needed someone...

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 12-15-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Rich Klein

Default Roy was not on the Mets in 62

And he was a defensive whiz when that mattered more than batting.

Think about the other seven teams in 61:

Eddie Kasko had a fine year for the Reds in 61, he could have been a good choice

Dick Groat slumped in 61 after winning the MVP in 60, he was not going to earn that honor

Maury Wills would have been a good choice but remember Topps could not issue cards of him. Nef Ced

Jose Pagan would, in reality has been a good choice but was not selected

According to Baseball Reference; Bob Lillis was the Cards starter at short but no one they had would have been a good nominee

That would be Ernie Banks last year as the full-time SS for the Cubs. With his offensive numbers, he would have been a good choice but his defense was failing rapidly at short

Ruben Amaro started for the Phils at SS. While a nice player, Roy was better.

You do have to remember this was also a different time in baseball. We rewerded defensive brilliance a lot more than we do today. The major swing actually took about another 20 years as players such as Ed Brinkman, Dick Schofield and Gene Michael all lasted years without being able to hit a lick. Today, not so muich

Rich
Old 12-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
it's just as interesting that Roy McMillian has that card and an All-Star card in the 62 Set but no regular issue card. How do you forget to make his card with those others?

Rich
Frank lary also has an all star card with no regular issue card.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:45 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
And he was a defensive whiz when that mattered more than batting.

Think about the other seven teams in 61:

Eddie Kasko had a fine year for the Reds in 61, he could have been a good choice

Dick Groat slumped in 61 after winning the MVP in 60, he was not going to earn that honor

Maury Wills would have been a good choice but remember Topps could not issue cards of him. Nef Ced

Jose Pagan would, in reality has been a good choice but was not selected

According to Baseball Reference; Bob Lillis was the Cards starter at short but no one they had would have been a good nominee

That would be Ernie Banks last year as the full-time SS for the Cubs. With his offensive numbers, he would have been a good choice but his defense was failing rapidly at short

Ruben Amaro started for the Phils at SS. While a nice player, Roy was better.

You do have to remember this was also a different time in baseball. We rewerded defensive brilliance a lot more than we do today. The major swing actually took about another 20 years as players such as Ed Brinkman, Dick Schofield and Gene Michael all lasted years without being able to hit a lick. Today, not so muich

Rich
Point well taken, Rich. Could also probably throw Mark Belanger into the mix in the 70's. Even Ozzie into the 80's although he turned into a pretty decent hitter mid-late career.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Rich Klein

Default When I type without over resarching

I just put out names; Obviiously Belanger belongs on that list and even into the 1990's -- Gary DiSarcina was not much of a hitter. Listen even mediocre hitters like Bucky Bleeping Dent and Freddie Patek could hang out for 10 or more year.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:38 AM
Rich Klein

Default When I type without over resarching

I just put out names; Obviiously Belanger belongs on that list and even into the 1990's -- Gary DiSarcina was not much of a hitter. Listen even mediocre hitters like Bucky Bleeping Dent and Freddie Patek could hang out for 10 or more years.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
I just put out names; Obviiously Belanger belongs on that list and even into the 1990's -- Gary DiSarcina was not much of a hitter. Listen even mediocre hitters like Bucky Bleeping Dent and Freddie Patek could hang out for 10 or more years.
Dal Maxvill of the Cardinals fits this mold. Stayed around for 14 seasons while only hitting .217 for his career.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
Dal Maxvill of the Cardinals fits this mold. Stayed around for 14 seasons while only hitting .217 for his career.
Good one. And Dal was an Electrical Engineer in the off-season!