NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Mastro Judge Strikes Down Plea Agreement

FORMER HOBBY-KINGPIN BILL MASTRO SET TO PLEAD GUILTY IN CHICAGO FEDERAL COURT TODAY

As widely reported back in January hobby big Bill Mastro is set to appear today before a Federal Judge in an Illinois Court to plead guilty to at least one count of fraud brought against him in a 33-page Federal indictment that was unsealed back in August of 2012.

Mastro’s defense attorney, Michael Monico, did not return calls for comment regarding the hearing in which his client is expected to cooperate with the government as part of a deal he cut with Federal prosecutors Nancy Podesta and Steven Grimes. Mastro is expected to appear before Judge Ronald A. Guzman who replaced Judge Suzanne B. Conlon back in January.

Via Twitter the New York Daily News reports from the courtroom that Judge Guzman “nixes Bill Mastro plea deal, rips prosecutors for not requiring ex-memorabilia king to cooperate against other defendants.” Based on the plea deal prosecutors agreed to, Mastro would have only served 30 months in prison.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That darned O'keefe. It's all his fault!! I find this a bit surprising though as I thought that judges usually went along with prosecutor's plea deals. This is going to get more ugly (for some) it seems.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM
pete ullman

Let em pay i say...the liars, cheaters and thieves need to be punished!

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-12-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That darned O'keefe. It's all his fault!! I find this a bit surprising though as I thought that judges usually went along with prosecutor's plea deals. This is going to get more ugly (for some) it seems.
Judges usually go along with the plea agreement. However in cases in ok inv multiple co-defendants it is not uncommon for a judge to require the defendant to testify truthfully against co-defendants. I am honestly surprised that the AUSA didn't require his cooperation as part of a plea deal, especially given the significance of this case to the sports memorabilia industry.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM
bubblebathgirl

It's about time.

I hope this, and other judicial rulings pertaining to AHs, is a sign of things to come.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Weak. The US Attorney's office in Chicago should be ashamed of themselves. When a judge is tougher than the prosecutors are toward a non-cooperating defendant, well, that is a disgrace. Mastro had his priest there and surely he will claim he has an alcohol problem in order to further reduce his sentence. Pitiful.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Let em pay i say...the liars, cheaters and thieves need to be punished!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

You think he'll tell them where the diamonds are?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

any plea deal with a reduction in sentencing should involve mastro telling everything he knows about everybody he has knowledge of who engaged in illegal practices, whether or not they are the other principals of the auction house, authenticators, friends, accomplices, anybody, or else no deal.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl View Post
It's about time.

I hope this, and other judicial rulings pertaining to AHs, is a sign of things to come.
Were you once kidnapped by an AH?
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM

I like this judge!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
Were you once kidnapped by an AH?
That's very funny! One thing you can be sure of, he doesn't have Stockholm Syndrome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Patty_Hearst.jpg (16.8 KB, 694 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 02-12-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

Mastro had his priest there and surely he will claim he has an alcohol problem in order to further reduce his sentence. Pitiful.

oxycodone made him do it....surprised they didn't pay an MD to take a fall for over-writing a script....what with all the post-traumatic-auction-stress syndrome and all.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post
Mastro had his priest there and surely he will claim he has an alcohol problem in order to further reduce his sentence. Pitiful.

oxycodone made him do it....surprised they didn't pay an MD to take a fall for over-writing a script....what with all the post-traumatic-auction-stress syndrome and all.
nope greed made him do it
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post

I'm also surprised he didn't bring a violinist along to play a heart-wrenching lament while he was throwing himself at the mercy of the court since it was recently alleged that he claimed that "he was indicted due to people with axes to grind".

Hopefully more of the "culprits" will receive justice because of the recent turn of events.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

Default something is wrong

something is wrong or maybe i am missing something.

from this source: http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=13261

"A source familiar with the case told Haulsofshame.com that the Feds based their fraud count regarding the Wagner trimming on Federal wiretaps that caught Mastro admitting he had trimmed the card sometime after he purchased it for $25,000 with his friend and associate Rob Lifson in Long Island in 1985."

if the feds got a taping of this back in 1985 why now 18 years later is this just getting resolved?

kevin
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

The 'marm knows how to figure as well.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
something is wrong or maybe i am missing something.

from this source: http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=13261

"A source familiar with the case told Haulsofshame.com that the Feds based their fraud count regarding the Wagner trimming on Federal wiretaps that caught Mastro admitting he had trimmed the card sometime after he purchased it for $25,000 with his friend and associate Rob Lifson in Long Island in 1985."

if the feds got a taping of this back in 1985 why now 18 years later is this just getting resolved?

kevin
He purchased the card in 1985. The wiretap is not from 1985.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Lifson’s close links to Halper also played a part in the New York Daily News’ shielding him from suspicion in the card-trimming scandal. Halper was a close personal friend of Daily News reporter Bill Madden, who acted throughout the years as Halper’s unofficial press agent. The Daily News has intentionally not reported about the Halper scandals because of Madden’s close ties to the former Yankee limited partner. In fact, reporter O’Keeffe has gone as far as reporting that the documentation of instances of sales of fraudulent artifacts by Halper are simply “accusations.”
Quote:
In their book, “The Card,” Thompson and O’Keeffe lauded Halper as “The Babe Ruth of sports memorabilia,” and described the “truly historic” items in his collection including “Shoeless Joe Jackson’s Black Betsy bat,” and “Ty Cobb’s dentures and rifle Cobb’s mother used to shoot his father.” All of those items used as examples of Halper’s “Cooperstown South,” however, have been determined to be fraudulent artifacts as a result of investigative reports written by Haulsofshame.com and SABR researcher Ron Cobb.
So in other words, HallsofShame.com is claiming that Teri Thompson and Michael O'Keeffe, either knowingly or unknowingly, assisted in helping to cover-up and/or perpetuate fraud. While I cannot comment on these accusations, I do know that O'Keeffe makes some absolutely ridiculous claims about John Cobb and Ray Edward's bogus Honus Wagner and goes so far as to assert in his book that the card is likely authentic.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
So in other words, HallsofShame.com is claiming that Teri Thompson and Michael O'Keeffe, either knowingly or unknowingly, assisted in helping to cover-up and/or perpetuate fraud. While I cannot comment on these accusations, I do know that O'Keeffe makes some absolutely ridiculous claims about John Cobb and Ray Edward's bogus Honus Wagner and goes so far as to assert in his book that the card is likely authentic.
I will have to ask Okeefe about that one. I can't imagine him, knowing as much as he does, would think the Cobb/Edward Wagner is legit. I will report back...unless I can get Mike to post about it himself.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

The top of page 154 in The Card:

Quote:
"If Cobb and Edwards were truly a couple of con artists, as so many of the Network54 collectors and dealers said they were, they surely would have ditched their T206 Wagner years ago and moved on to something more profitable."
Perhaps I am reading this wrong but it seems that O'Keeffe is saying that there is at least a reasonable chance that Cobb and Edwards are not con artists...which would mean that either their card is authentic (it is not) or that Cobb and Edwards are unaware that it is bogus (they are not).
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The top of page 154 in The Card:

Perhaps I am reading this wrong but it seems that O'Keeffe is saying that there is at least a reasonable chance that Cobb and Edwards are not con artists...which would mean that either their card is authentic (it is not) or that Cobb and Edwards are unaware that it is bogus (they are not).
I agree with you Mike, up until this "are unaware it's bogus". I think they might have some delusion that "whitey" is out to get them and keep them down and it IS real. So I do read it a bit differently than you. Plus, since that book was written several years ago, I would bet a soda at the National, Mike O. doesn't think their card is real (anymore, if he did, as you suggest). I will call him in the next few days and get his take and report back....
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Besides, what could these two bozos possibly dream up that could be "more profitable" than their Wagner reprint scam? They've been on talk shows, in the newspaper, etc, etc. We had enough information to know they were scammers, so O'Keefe also had enough information when the book was written, to know they were scammers. It was sensationalist journalism, designed to get a broader audience interested in a baseball card - keeping the Cincinnati boys' crowd engaged (the 'Whitey is out to get us' crowd) was part of that, in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
I think they might have some delusion that "whitey" is out to get them and keep them down and it IS real.
No. They know it is fake. I was at the Cincinnati show when they bought it and brought it by our booths. The dealer who sold it to them had a stack of Wagner reprints he was selling for $1 each. This card, obviously, was one of those reprints. I recall them telling me that one day the card would be worth a lot of money.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
I agree with you Mike, up until this "are unaware it's bogus". I think they might have some delusion that "whitey" is out to get them and keep them down and it IS real. So I do read it a bit differently than you. Plus, since that book was written several years ago, I would bet a soda at the National, Mike O. doesn't think their card is real (anymore, if he did, as you suggest). I will call him in the next few days and get his take and report back....
Leon,

I'm sorry but I just don't have the same faith in this particular reporter as you do. O'Keeffe stopped by our booths at the Anaheim National, prior to the publication of his book. We had two T206 Wagners on display and not far away was the PSA 8, so I know that he saw authentic examples of the card prior to the time that he wrote about Cobb and Edwards in The Card.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
No. They know it is fake. I was at the Cincinnati show when they bought it and brought it by our booths. The dealer who sold it to them had a stack of Wagner reprints he was selling for $1 each. This card, obviously, was one of those reprints. I recall them telling me that one day the card would be worth a lot of money.
A sad story truly especially the race angle that cobb and edwards apparently have brought to it.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon,

I'm sorry but I just don't have the same faith in this particular reporter as you do. O'Keeffe stopped by our booths at the Anaheim National, prior to the publication of his book. We had two T206 Wagners on display and not far away was the PSA 8, so I know that he saw authentic examples of the card prior to the time that he wrote about Cobb and Edwards in The Card.
I just now got off of the phone with Mike O. He prefers not to say if the card is real or not as he isn't an expert, but says if he had to say, then he doesn't believe it is. He said he has never said, or insinuated, it is real. He has interviewed Cobb/Edwards many times and doesn't think they are fraudsters but are probably incorrect in their assumptions. And for the record, I do like Okeefe and I do enjoy our friendship too Mike.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
A sad story truly especially the race angle that cobb and edwards apparently have brought to it.
Well, with the help of reporters like O'Keeffe. For the amount of investigating he's done in sports--especially with respect to steroids and PEDs--I find it astounding that he chose to devote an entire chapter in his book to bemoaning the plight of Cobb and Edwards while simultaneously promoting the possible legitimacy of a ridiculously bogus card.

The, "Well, NOW I know it isn't really authentic" excuse, which has already been given by O'Keeffe in subsequent interviews, really stretches the fabric of journalistic integrity, imo.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM

The indictment was for Mastro, Doug Allen, and Mark Theotikos. There was a 4th (main) person involved that was not included in this indictment and also unnamed. The indictment named him Co-schemer A. Who is the 4th person?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Well, with the help of reporters like O'Keeffe. For the amount of investigating he's done in sports--especially with respect to steroids and PEDs--I find it astounding that he chose to devote an entire chapter in his book to bemoaning the plight of Cobb and Edwards while simultaneously promoting the possible legitimacy of a ridiculously bogus card.

The, "Well, NOW I know it isn't really authentic" excuse, which has already been given by O'Keeffe in subsequent interviews, really stretches the fabric of journalistic integrity, imo.
I remember O'Keeffe was interviewed for an ESPN Outside the Lines segment a year or so ago. From the way I took it, he didn't think these two were scamming anyone and it is unfortunate that a lot of racial slurs have been thrown at them.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I remember O'Keeffe was interviewed for an ESPN Outside the Lines segment a year or so ago. From the way I took it, he didn't think these two were scamming anyone and it is unfortunate that a lot of racial slurs have been thrown at them.
Just found the segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTXVlHs2rIU

O'Keeffe even brings up Net54 in connection with racial insults.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:

Here's what Michael O'Keeffe says about the bogus Cobb/Edwards T206 Wagner in the OTL interview:

13:18 "We wanted to examine sort of the race and class issues that come up in collecting and I think that the one thing is that you guys have touched on is that the hobby has not been fair to these guys. And I think maybe the hobby needs to be a little more open-minded before they pass judgement. I mean this has been examined by a paper expert and by a printing expert and the printing expert, by the way, Arnie Schwed said that this card--he didn't believe that it was skinned. So, I think there needs to be a little more of an open mind."

14:01 "Yeah, I mean you know the messages and the insults and the slurs on Network54, on the vintage card forum, were really horrifying.... So to pick on John and Ray to me was always kind of a head-scratcher."
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

Pulling the race card is pathetic, both for these fraudsters and for anyone who supports them. Idiots and thieves are idiots and thieves, regardless of skin color.

I'm curious - does O'Keefe know that the 'Mona Lisa' is the 'Mona Lisa'? Since he's not an expert on paintings, he probably shouldn't have an opinion on that either.

Leon - I know how you get when your friends are picked on, but I hope you realize that our responses (mine, anyway) aren't personal. The book was a great read, but having participated in the Cobb/Edwards discussions before the book was published, when I finally read the book I was amazed that anyone who had read our discussions could really believe that these guys were honest, or that the card might be real. O'Keefe had access to a LOT of expert opinions and he referenced our board repeatedly in the book. What he should have been saying was, "If these guys are legit, they'll send the card to PSA or SGC - end of story." They didn't do that, O'Keefe didn't recommend it. He backed the poor oppressed guys and got better readership. I get it, I just don't agree with his method.

Last edited by Runscott; 02-13-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Here's what Michael O'Keeffe had to say about Cobb and Edwards and their bogus T206 Wagner in an interview in 2007:

Quote:
I don’t know if their card is legit. I’m not qualified to determine that. A paper expert and an ink expert have both said the card appears to be from the turn of the century, but it could be a common T206 with a fake Wagner front slapped on it.

I think their story has a lot to do with being outsiders to the industry, and to a lesser extent, with the fact that they are African-American. I think this hobby is dominated by white, upper-class guys with plenty of disposable income, and they took it as an affront that a couple of black guys were trying to get into their club.

The guys on the (internet) collectors forums were especially brutal. With all the problems the memorabilia hobby suffers from, you’d think these guys would have something better to do than rag on two working-class guys. The comments were vicious and racist and ugly and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Source: http://thestartingfive.wordpress.com...ffe-interview/
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

The Cobb Edwards situation is far from the only time O'Keeffe demonstrated he was an amateur. His numerous articles/blog posts regarding Mastro and Legendary are incredibly biased and not well researched.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was told today that my statement I made in this thread seems to be racist. I am far from a racist in my opinion and was merely describing how I felt those 2 individuals believe they have been ridiculed because of their race. It's sort of like saying someone is racist and being called a racist for stating the opinion of someone else being racist. At any rate, I don't take any of this personally. I am not the one trying to persuade the world my card is real when it's obviously not. And as far as anyone disagreeing with me about O'keefe, that is fine too. Just make sure your name is public and say what you want to. (per the open rules of course)

Last edited by Leon; 02-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

"The guys on the (internet) collectors forums were especially brutal. With all the problems the memorabilia hobby suffers from, you’d think these guys would have something better to do than rag on two working-class guys. The comments were vicious and racist and ugly and they should be ashamed of themselves."

When I read the above I actually blushed in embarrassment for O'Keefe. That is truly one of the most ignorant things I've ever read from a professional journalist.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I was told today that my statement I made in this thread seems to be racist. I am far from a racist in my opinion and was merely describing how I felt those 2 individuals believe they have been ridiculed because of their race. It's sort of like saying someone is racist and being called a racist for stating the opinion. At any rate, I don't take any of this personally. I am not the one trying to persuade the world my card is real when it's obviously not. And as far as anyone disagreeing with me about O'keefe, that is fine too. Just make sure your name is public and say what you want to. (per the open rules of course)
O'Keefe apparently feels that it is okay for you to disagree with someone as long as they are of your skin color. If they are not, then you are a racist.

But by putting such logic into practice, Mr. O'Keefe is failing to treat all people equally, thus making him the actual racist - by definition.

As long as he picks up the check half the time, and he's pleasant to talk with, I guess it's okay.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember about the ORIGINAL thread concerning the Cobb/Edwards Wagner, the people on this board were saying it was fake and giving reasons WHY it was fake and nothing else.

THEN, either Cobb or Edwards came on the board and started arguing with people as to WHY the card, in their opinion, was real. After they were told it was fake and AGAIN given the reasons WHY, they pulled the race card and said something to the effect that the reason why this board didn't want the card to be authentic was because the people on this board were mostly white, wealthy men and thus didn't want a couple of African Americans to be able to join their club.

After that, the board unloaded on Cobb or Edwards for bringing race into the matter when it hadn't been brought up before.

If I am wrong or, like Andy Pettitte, "misremembering" then someone can correct me.

David Smith
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Rob G.

some of you are good w/photoshop. Can someone create a picture of two white guys holding the the Cobb/Edwards Wagner? Make sure the two appear like "white, upper-class guys with plenty of disposable income". Maybe that will change our minds on the card and it will suddenly look real!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Also, I can't wait until March 5 to watch the show that this card is going to be featured on. If (more like when) the card is deemed to be a fake, I want to see what O'Keefe writes. I also can't wait to see how long it takes Cobb/Edwards to file a lawsuit against the show or come out and say race, again, had something to do with the card being fake.

David Smith
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

I find it unusual that Michael O'Keeffe writes so many articles about dealers and collectors like Bill Mastro and Peter Nash and all of the fraud they have perpetuated and yet the alleged #1 perpetrator--perhaps the king of fraudulent memorabilia--Barry Halper--gets a pass. If O'Keeffe has the time to write an article about how Bill Mastro is "still buying cards on eBay" (source: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...chases-on-ebay), surely he has the wherewithal to scribble a few lines about the millions of dollars of fake jerseys, autographs, etc. that Halper sold to private individuals and the Baseball Hall of Fame, doesn't he?

Examples: http://deadspin.com/5818225/the-down...-bernie-madoff

Quote:
“Given the evidence that has come to light in the past several years, the Hall of Fame should immediately reconsider the naming of that gallery to honor Barry Halper. I do not think he deserves the honor.” ~ Fay Vincent, Former Commissioner of Major League Baseball
http://www.guerrillaexplorer.com/mys...f-memorabilia/

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/s...Ck0tZrKbJX1dXN
Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

O'Keefe was looking for some buzz for that article, and got it. Class A doosh.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
... If O'Keeffe has the time to write an article about how Bill Mastro is "still buying cards on eBay" (source: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...chases-on-ebay), surely he has the wherewithal to ...
Somewhat off-topic, but I believe I did sell 2-3 cards to Bill Mastro last year (a couple of Goudey PSA 4's and a Goudey PSA 7, I believe). I didn't think it was actually THE Bill Mastro, but just someone else who had the same name from Illinois. However, after reading that article, I think it might be the same person. I did see the PSA 7 get resold a few months later as a part a high grade set break on probstein.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Leon,

Could you ask Michael O'Keeffe about the following?

Quote:
Halper was a close personal friend of Daily News reporter Bill Madden, who acted throughout the years as Halper’s unofficial press agent. The Daily News has intentionally not reported about the Halper scandals because of Madden’s close ties to the former Yankee limited partner. In fact, reporter O’Keeffe has gone as far as reporting that the documentation of instances of sales of fraudulent artifacts by Halper are simply “accusations.”

In their book, “The Card,” Thompson and O’Keeffe lauded Halper as “The Babe Ruth of sports memorabilia,” and described the “truly historic” items in his collection including “Shoeless Joe Jackson’s Black Betsy bat,” and “Ty Cobb’s dentures and rifle Cobb’s mother used to shoot his father.” All of those items used as examples of Halper’s “Cooperstown South,” however, have been determined to be fraudulent artifacts as a result of investigative reports written by Haulsofshame.com and SABR researcher Ron Cobb.
Edited to add source: http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?m=201207

Last edited by MW1; 02-13-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No one here went after the fake Wagner guys over race. We were not on their side not because they were black but because they were idiots. Quintessentially American idiots, by the way, the same kind who fuel the growth of lottery sales, casino slots, and reality talent shows--but not libraries. It is so much easier to be ignorant and self-righteous than to learn something and lose hope. Then again, they went from two working class doophuses in Ohio to national media attention and reality tv. Winning!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-13-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Somewhat off-topic, but I believe I did sell 2-3 cards to Bill Mastro last year (a couple of Goudey PSA 4's and a Goudey PSA 7, I believe). I didn't think it was actually THE Bill Mastro, but just someone else who had the same name from Illinois. However, after reading that article, I think it might be the same person. I did see the PSA 7 get resold a few months later as a part a high grade set break on probstein.
Why would anyone care if Mastro was buying cards? If he got accused of not paying a supplier for a restaurant he owned, would people get upset if he continued to eat?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Last edited by drc; 02-14-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Props to the judge. Who knows the judge and their clerk(s) just might be reading this.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm curious - does O'Keefe know that the 'Mona Lisa' is the 'Mona Lisa'? Since he's not an expert on paintings, he probably shouldn't have an opinion on that either.
Even the experts aren't sure anymore.

http://news.msn.com/world/fresh-proo...inal-mona-lisa

I just had to link to that. It came up on MSN tonight and the timing was right

Steve Birmingham