NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Default Best & Worst Experience Meeting An Athlete

I'm sure this has probably been done on here but I couldn't find anything in the search. Would love to hear stories about best/worst interactions with athletes/celebrities. I'll start...

Best:

Johnny Bench (Nashville show in ~96)- Very generous with me. Took picture with me at the booth he was signing at. Later that day, after he was done signing, I saw him wandering around looking at some cards. It looked like he was just killing some time. I went up and talked to him for about 5 minutes. Nicest guy in the world and I remember being impressed with myself that I didn't get that nervous speaking with a baseball legend (was only 11 at the time). He talked so casually about baseball that it was like talking to one of my teammates dads and not a celebrity. Really great experience.

Eddie Taubensee- Signed for hours every game I went to when I was growing up. Not a superstar but still was always excited to get his autograph and he was great with the fans. Thomas Howard was also really good in regards to signing at games.

Okay:

Enos Slaughter- Met him in Cooperstown when I was 9 or 10. Was real nice the first day I met him on that trip. Was signing for like $10 at one of the shops up there. Saw him the following day at a restaurant and got his auto again. Was real grouchy but signed the ball I had. Could have been the fact that I asked him while he was at lunch. He was by himself though, not eating, and the place was dead. Usually I wouldn't have asked but it was so low key I thought I would go ahead and do it. All in all not that bad.

The Worst:

Walter Payton- This one isn't even close. Huge jerk. Met him at the same show I met Johnny Bench at. Got an 8x10 signed by him in a Bears black jersey. The guy signed with a black sharpie on the black jersey. Could have signed anywhere but specifically did it to be a jerk. Was super arrogant and wouldn't even look at people. Kind of surprised because I've heard good things about him but my experience with him was just terrible.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 PM
Kev1n @1les

Interesting about Bench. I have never met him but have met guys who have who gave very poor reviews. Second hand, of course, so take it for what is worth.

Met Dave Parker at Pirarefest a frw years ago. He was a childhood hero. He was set to sign and the line was forming. My oldest (13-14) at the time walked up with a ball and asked to sign. Dave said, I’m getting ready to sign for the next half hour over there but okay. My younger son then held out the ball - he was 10 at the time and did not like to approach anyone but Conner insisted that Cam ask as well. Parker signed his. At that point a crowd started gathering and the Pirate rep said no more autos - if you want one the (long) lime forms over there.

Always loved the cobra

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Sean McGinty

Best:

Brett Butler - in 1990 I was among a throng of kids next to the Giants dugout during BP before a game at Olympic Stadium. I gave him my card of him (1990 Donruss) and my sharpie. He signed it, then looked at the card and noticed that my pen was running low on ink and his signature didn't look too good. He said "hold on", walked over to the dugout, grabbed a new pen, signed the card again and gave it to me with a smile on his face, saying "I think you need to get a better pen, this one is running out of ink." It only took about 10 seconds, but he gratuitously gave me those 10 seconds even though he could have walked away and I've always thought the best of him since that. Also I have a cool 1990 Donruss card that has been signed by Brett Butler twice!

Honorable mention: Brooks Robinson was super nice when I got his autograph at a show, letting my friend and i come behind the table to pose for pictures with him and chatting with us a bit and just being an awesome guy.

Worst:
My worst was with Hank Aaron, whose signature I got at the same show Brooks Robinson was at. After the great and personal experience with Brooks, my friend and I (we were both 15 years old at the time) went over to Aaron's table. We weren't allowed to have any interaction with him at all, I was told to give the ball I wanted him to sign to some guy sitting next to Aaron (maybe his agent? Don't know who), who would then give it to Aaron. After Aaron had signed it, he gave it back to the guy sitting next to him without so much as looking up at me, and that guy handed it to me.

It was such an impersonal experience my buddy and I both walked away feeling kind of jilted, especially when we looked at our balls and noticed his signature looked like "Stan Aaron" because of the way he wrote his first name. Also we paid 25$ for his autograph (this was in 1992) and only I think 5 or 10$ for Brooks. We both walked away with diminished opinions of Aaron, but as huge fans of Brooks Robinson. (in fairness I should note that Aaron's table had a much longer line than Brooks' which might explain the different treatment more than any differences in their character, but it still left a bad taste with me!)

Last edited by seanofjapan; 01-14-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Mike Reid

Had the privilege of having Kareem Abdul Jabbar tell me to F off at a charity event fundraiser. There were a group of Police Athletic League kids there and he never signed a single autograph the whole evening. The organizer of the event spent half the evening apologizing for his ( Kareem's) behavior.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Marty H.

Sent this photo to my childhood hockey hero, Shayne Corson,, 15 years ago.
He sent it back beautifully signed and personally inscribed.
corsonauto.jpg

Finally met him at the last Toronto expo. Great Guy.
Says he remembered signing the Zamboni photo.
ShayneCorson.jpg
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Lots of good ones, but the one that you might find surprising was Jose Canseco. He was back stage at an appearance (with ankle monitor) and he was nice and talked to my son at length (he was probably 10 at the time). Signed a nice legible sig and encouraged my son to continue to play baseball.

Worst may have been Tommy Gregg, former Brave. I asked him to sign my baseball encyclopedia when he was coaching in the minors and he not only blew me off (which happens) but growled and kind of asked it I wasn't kind of old for that stuff.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Had the privilege of having Kareem Abdul Jabbar tell me to F off at a charity event fundraiser. There were a group of Police Athletic League kids there and he never signed a single autograph the whole evening. The organizer of the event spent half the evening apologizing for his ( Kareem's) behavior.
Never met him but he always kind of gave me that vibe. Not a big fan of his for other off the court reasons as well. Sorry he treated you that way.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Worst- Johnny Bench. It was 1983, I was 22 I was photographing him for a charity ad. He asked me if I knew anything about baseball, and I replied that not only did I follow Baseball closely but that he was my favorite player, and when I was a kid I’d sent him a get well card after his lung surgery in ‘72. He blew up and said I was trying to make him feel old. Total dick

Best was Kareem. I was shooting an ad for a friend of his and he dropped in and chatted for half an hour. I’d been around him before and knew he was pretty reserved so I mostly let him talk, and we had a pretty amazing conversation

Being a photographer is like having a backstage pass to the world. When you deal with people like Kareemm or Jerry West or Eric Gagne it’s the best job in the world. Johnny Bench and Tommy Lasorda not so much
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

As a kid I don't remember to many bad experiences. Some guys were jerks but most were good.

As an adult it has been a whole different experience. I have gotten a few autos at shows in person and it has been weird. Nothing that the players have done to make it that way but as a 40+ year old adult I have found it very awkward asking another adult to sign an item. I am cool with things through the mail or sending an item in to get signed but doing it in person has been an unpleasant experience from my end.

My most recent experience was with Jimmy Rollins this past November. I help coordinate our high school athletic hall of fame ceremony and J-Roll was in attendance since he was introducing his old coach. I spoke to him briefly before the show and worked up the nerve to ask him if he wouldn't mind signing a couple of things after the ceremony but just couldn't go through with asking him to do it afterwards.

Last edited by Dewey2007; 01-14-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: text correction
Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I used to put on dinners with famous ex athletes for my company's customers. Among the best people that I ever dealt with were Roger Staubach, Jim Brown, and Wilt Chamberlain. They were friendly, gracious and a pleasure to deal with. Of all the people I worked with the only ones I don't remember favorably were John Riggins and Richard Dent (too quiet-almost shy) and Lynn Swann (a real jerk).
However, at card shows by far the nicest guy I ever met was Pete Rose. He appeared at a show in Central Connecticut in the early 1990s and I took my five year old daughter with me to the show. I had a baseball so I decided to get his autograph. Julie was excited by this so when our turn came to get an autograph I told Pete that Julie was a big fan of his. He talked to her for a minute telling her that he had a daughter just about her age. Then he reached under the table, grabbed his briefcase, and pulled out pictures of his daughter to show her. While the line behind us was probably wondering what was going on Pete spent about five minutes with my daughter. What a nice gesture on his part.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Universally as a category, professional wrestlers are great. The reason is simple...they are closer to the money. Baseball players depend on owner who depend on the revenue of teams, a part of which is paying fans. Wrestlers' livelihood is directly related to the fan reaction to them. I remember when my son was six or so Bam Bam Bigelow offered to shake his hand and after my son did so Bam Bam grabbed his hand and asked him, "Why did you squeeze so hard! You're strong!" Made my son's day.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

As a kid I remember trying to get autographs after a match. Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey in full character told me "I no sign in English" as he walked out to the parking lot. It was hilarious. I remember most of the other wrestlers being good about signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Universally as a category, professional wrestlers are great. The reason is simple...they are closer to the money. Baseball players depend on owner who depend on the revenue of teams, a part of which is paying fans. Wrestlers' livelihood is directly related to the fan reaction to them. I remember when my son was six or so Bam Bam Bigelow offered to shake his hand and after my son did so Bam Bam grabbed his hand and asked him, "Why did you squeeze so hard! You're strong!" Made my son's day.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Sandy Koufax 3 years ago.

My father is a pilot and was riding in the back of the plane to get home.Before boarding the airplane, a random guy told my dad, "Hey! You are lucky!" "Koufax is on that plane!".. Dad was confused..he said, "Sandy Koufax?" sure enough, he was sitting 2 rows in front of my Dad. Pretty surprising considering it was a very small airport they were flying to. My dad knew I collected autographs and was going to surprise me with getting his autograph. Dad didn't feel comfortable asking since he was still in uniform(even though he was off duty) and he wanted my brother to get a chance to meet him. So he text my brother ( who was picking him up) telling him that Koufax was on the plane and to bring something to get sign.

My dad had no idea about Sandy and how "recluse" he is. In addition, my dad is not an autograph guy. He still thinks anyone who played baseball during the golden era are super friendly.

When Koufax was making his way to baggage claim (one on one) my brother asked him politely, " Mr. Koufax could you please sign this?"

He looked at my brother and scream "WHO THE F**K are you!?!" "WHO TOLD YA I WAS HERE!!" "HUH!!"

My brother who is 30 was so shocked and taken back, that he didn't know what to say. My dad walk over and politely said,"I told him you were on the plane.We are fans of yours and it was a rare occurrence.I wanted my son, to get a chance to meet you sir.Sorry to bother you Mr.Koufax." My dad then took the card, ripped it up, and threw it in the trash can as they left.

Granted, I kinda figure that would probably happen, but since my dad was trying to make it a surprise for me, I didn't know about it, or else I would of told him not to try. Sandy could of been alot nicer to my brother in turning him down. At least he got to meet him! ...kinda...
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Larry More.y

Dave Winfield and Ronde Barber were the two nicest well known professional athletes I have met. While at a game when I was 10, Dave took time to talk to me during BP ..... he talked for so long, I can remember running out of questions to ask him. He could tell and started asking me questions...IE what position I played, my favorite position, etc. At a work conference about a decade ago, Ronde Barber was signing and out of the 1000 people attending they were all into one of the other guests, so as he was alone I talked with him for 20+ minutes, could not have been nicer a nicer guy.

There are two former MLers who live near me in my neighborhood...they both have kids about the same age as my kids. Through my kids playing around the hood, I have run into them and while our kids have played, I have shot the breeze with them and both could not have been nicer.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 PM
Craig L.

Default Best - Berra & Dials, Worst - Konerko

Met Yogi Berra and Lou Dials at a show in St. Louis in early 90s. I had recently seen Berra on a Pringles commercial, it was hilarious, so I brought an empty can for him to sign. He got a kick out of it saying he had never signed one before. I had heard stories of him playing harmonica and that he carried one with him. I asked about it, he smiled, stood up and addressed the crowd to be quiet and began playing. The promoter quickly came over, upset to stop him, and Yogi brushed him off and spent 5 minutes having fun. It was a totally incredible experience.

At the same show, Lou Dials had a table set up with a few negro league pics, pics of himself and a few books. All day Friday people just walked past him paying no mind and oblivious to who he was. Saturday noonish, same situation as Friday. Seeing this I walked over to meet him. He offered me a seat and I joined him for a conversation. I spent the remainder of the day with him. We talked about everything; baseball, girls, what America was like growing up - both our generations sides, college - his opinions and experience & degree. Memories I will never forget. I never asked him for an auto, can't believe I forgot. My dad was not happy I abandoned him at the table but understood. Sunday Lou comes walking to my table with a signed ball for me and thanked me for the company. My father and Lou chatted for a while and went back to his table.

'97 Triple A All-Star game in Des Moines, I was excited to see Paul Konerko play. I had seen him in Az, college for both at the time. During field time for players, he was exorcizing with other players. As he was walking off, many players stopped to sign for people. Paul just ignored fans and tried to get a few of the players to follow him. For 5-6 minutes he stood there rudely saying he wouldn't sign. Witnessing this I became upset. When he walked past, my smart ass youthful mouth shot off. I called him an a-hole and stated I always wanted his auto but was a broke college student and had to watch him play from A mountain. He turned, looked at me and walked over asking if I went to ASU. I acknowledged I did. He grabbed the ball I was holding and the pen, signed my ball, smiled and patted me on the shoulder and walk past everyone then off the field. All I could think was what a prick, however, I clutched my treasure and walked away with a story and a smile.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Dave Winfield and Ronde Barber were the two nicest well known professional athletes I have met.
I got to do a commercial with Ronde and Tiki. They were great!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 PM
Matt

Best: Meeting Darryl Strawberry at age 10 in 1986, at a local church card show. I presented my two cards for signature, and a rude bodyguard told me it was only one card per "ticket." Darryl told the muscle to kick rocks, and signed my extra card with a personal inscription. Have it on my desk to this day.

Best #2: Cut to 25 years later. Straw needs to get into a club in LA and winds up asking my brother to get in (he ran the place). My brother tells me Straw is there so I roll over. I wind up drinking with him, and regaling him with the story of how he was so nice to me a quarter century earlier.

Best #3: Meeting Mike Tyson in LA, who turned out to be a big fan of a film I had written. One of the nicest guys around.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:35 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My dad, who's about the least likely to like rap music, saw MC Hammer being friendly to fans in the airport, happily allowing them to have their photos taken with him. My dad always thought rather highly of him after that.

His funny story is, as an undergrad science geek student, he got to meet Niels Bohr-- which for a physics student was on the order of getting to meet Joe Dimaggio or Charles Lindbergh. While Bohr spoke English, his Danish accent was so thick my dad didn't understand a word he said.

Last edited by drcy; 01-14-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Pete Sycks

Being that my neighbor growing up was the 1st base coach of the Twins we got to meet a bunch of ballplayers. Puckett was the nicest guy ever as my mom got to babysit his daughter at the time and we knew their family really well. "Twig" also introduced us to Griffey Jr when he was with the Mariners and you can image a 8 year old shaking hands with him after the game, it was something I'll never forget. A current player who couldn't be nicer is Trout. Every time he comes to Minnesota he makes sure to sign for at least 20 people at the game and will take pictures and talk to anyone willing to ask him something. You'd think the face of MLB would be above that, but not him. His teammate Pujols hasn't picked up a pen in 5 years since joining the Angels.

Even though he was my favorite player growing up Frank Thomas was kind of a douche when 2 of us approached him while he was walking around San Diego a couple years ago at the All-Star game festivities. He kept saying "no time" and looked visibly upset that we were even talking to him. Another former player who plays it up for TV, but when you meet in person is kind of a dick is Bert Blyleven. He won't sweet spot any baseball you give him and if you give him a photo he'll "best wishes" and personalizes your name on it because he knows it decreases in value. He even turned away my best friends' wife in a hallway with nobody around them before.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

WORST: Michael Irvin hitting on my girlfriend at a bar in North Dallas in 2012.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

I haven't had any particularly bad experiences, and a few really good ones. I guess I've been lucky.

Brooks Robinson - At a Sports Illustrated hospitality suite in 1976. He was one of three guys signing that night. (Basically a free drinks event in hope that school principals will buy SI for the school, not exactly kid friendly, and I was 13...) He stopped to talk baseball for a while, and when some guy at the back of the line started complaining he stood up and told him "I'm talking baseball with this kid so you'll wait till I'm done"

Bob Feller - pitched a home run derby between games of a minor league double header. Came up in the stands after with a bunch of preprinted photo sheets to sign. I went up last, being shy, and after getting a couple plus one on a random bit of paper for dads autograph album I asked if it bothered him that most of the kids were just making paper planes with them. " No, they're just kids having fun. Do you play baseball?"
Ended up sitting with him for a few batters while he explained the pitching strategy the pitchers were trying. I didn't realize just how cool that was until a few years later.

Random Russian motorcycle rider at the International Six Day Trials in 73 -
We were all hanging out at the outlet from the motorcycle impound looking for autographs. Guy had a cast from hand up to the elbow, and had been riding trails for a full day. Figured there was no way he was going to do autographs. He looked at the gauntlet of kids and yelled over to the mechanic, who brought a pen and put it in a socket he'd had molded into his cast, then signed for everyone. Totally amazing!

One of the Pentons, same event same day a few minutes later - The manufacturer of the US teams bikes had a couple kids on the team. Very popular since they were "our team" He came out, looking tired and basically walked past us all saying "Sorry guys, not today I hurt my thumb. " All he had was a band aid, so it couldn't have been all that bad.
Not so amazing...
Old 01-14-2018, 09:43 PM

It's funny how people can have different outcomes with meeting the same players. I'm sure they get tired of people "bothering" them, I know that I probably would.

I don't get too many autographs in person, but two of the nicest signers I have met are Lou Brock (twice) and Johnny Mize. Rickey Henderson, not so much.

I met Sandy Koufax a couple of years ago at a shopping center. He was eating ice cream with his lady friend. I waited until he was finished and approached him. I just told him that I wanted to meet him, he responded with a huge smile and a shake of the hand (probably still on an ice cream "high"...lol). I didn't want to ruin the moment by asking him for an autograph or a picture of us together.

Edited to add: My experience meeting Pete Rose was similar to Rickey Henderson. Had first row seats behind the visitor's dugout at Busch Stadium. Brought my 1965 Topps card of Pete just in case. Was about ten feet away from him and asked if he could sign the card for me. He just looked at me and turned away. A side note on Pete that I've told before, but I grew up in Marion, Ill, home of Ray Fosse. Ray was always great with signing things for my brother and I as my father had operated on his mom years ago. I remember one of my teachers in junior high always badmouthing Rose for the All Star game incident. Well, years later, when Rose was sent to prison for income tax evasion, guess where he was sent. You guessed it, Marion, Ill. He wasn't enthusiastically received.

Last edited by docpatlv; 01-14-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default I actually am old enough to be on a prewar card

As evidence I present my in person autograph signed by a player who hit his first major league home run in 1912.

Can anyone top that?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 01-14-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Almost forgot my favorite!

The local airbase used to have an airshow around the 4th of July every year. And had the Thunderbirds I think every other year, maybe more often.

The last time I went, I was working in Hydraulics. And the program just happened to include the support staff. The pilots usually came over to the fence for autographs photos etc after their part of the show. And they drew a huge crowd.
Spotting a couple guys way off to one side, I wondered who they were. checked the program, and surprise they're the hydraulic technicians for the planes.
So I went over with a pen and the program open. Before I could even say anything one of them says "the guys you want are over there" pointing towards the pilots. The look of surprise when I responded " You're the hydraulic techs aren't you? You are the guys I'm looking for"
Got the program signed, and had a nice chat about why and the few shop things that cross over. (Planes and industrial stuff don't have much in common at all.)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Being that my neighbor growing up was the 1st base coach of the Twins we got to meet a bunch of ballplayers. Puckett was the nicest guy ever as my mom got to babysit his daughter at the time and we knew their family really well. "Twig" also introduced us to Griffey Jr when he was with the Mariners and you can image a 8 year old shaking hands with him after the game, it was something I'll never forget. A current player who couldn't be nicer is Trout. Every time he comes to Minnesota he makes sure to sign for at least 20 people at the game and will take pictures and talk to anyone willing to ask him something. You'd think the face of MLB would be above that, but not him. His teammate Pujols hasn't picked up a pen in 5 years since joining the Angels.

Even though he was my favorite player growing up Frank Thomas was kind of a douche when 2 of us approached him while he was walking around San Diego a couple years ago at the All-Star game festivities. He kept saying "no time" and looked visibly upset that we were even talking to him. Another former player who plays it up for TV, but when you meet in person is kind of a dick is Bert Blyleven. He won't sweet spot any baseball you give him and if you give him a photo he'll "best wishes" and personalizes your name on it because he knows it decreases in value. He even turned away my best friends' wife in a hallway with nobody around them before.
That pains me to hear that about the big hurt... hopefully it was just a bad day.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Murr the Blurr

Two fighters top my list: Muhammad Ali and George Chuvalo.

I was 22 years old, covering my first big fight -- Ali-Spinks II -- in New Orleans in 1978. After virtually everyone else had left the final media conference in the Hilton ballroom, I was still hanging around, savoring the moment. When Angelo Dundee, Ali's trainer, noticed from the press credential hanging around my neck that I was from a Canadian newspaper, he immediately recounted how well the Toronto press had treated Ali when he fought Chuvalo at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1966. He then asked if I would like to meet the champ. Before I could fully comprehend what was happening, I was sitting in the living room of Ali's palatial suite, chatting with The Greatest like we were old pals. Dundee and Ali's brother were also there. Ali couldn't have been more gracious -- even going so far as to ask if I was satisfied with my press row seat allocation for the fight, which was two nights later. "If you don't like where you're sittin', we can get it changed," he said. Incredible.
Although I was a huge fan, I never got to meet Chuvalo in person until 1986, when he was training heavyweight contender Razor Ruddock. George, who retired in 1979 with a record of 73-18-2 (64 KOs), is the only man to fight Ali, Joe Frazier and George Foreman. He held the Canadian title for 21 years, and at the peak of his career was ranked No 2 in the world. A 30-year friendship blossomed from that first meeting, and in 2012 he asked me to co-author his memoir ("Chuvalo: A Fighter's Life"), which was published by HarperCollins in 2014 and has topped 50,000 in sales.

Honorable mentions: Mike Tyson (very interesting guy to talk to, and very polite) and George Foreman.

Biggest jerks: Sugar Ray Leonard (total asshole) and Bill Cosby (pretty much what you would expect).
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Lots of Great Experiences

I've been very fortunate in being able to have some great experiences in baseball. I worked in Minor League Baseball for 8 years which afforded me some awesome opportunities. I apologize in advance for this being long, though I'll try to keep it brief.

1. Willie Mays - Could be on some people's worst list, but I had the opportunity to spend 3 days with Willie in 2004, including driving him around in my personal car. It gave me a great insight into what Willie is like and why some don't have great experiences with him. He is not very social with people he doesn't know. Think of a typical cocktail party. Some guys hop around, meeting and greeting lots of people, are the life of the party with lots of stories, etc. Others stick to their group but are very cordial when other approach. And a few try their best to stay out of the limelight and don't feel comfortable when strangers approach and deal with them as quickly and with as minimal interaction as possible. The latter is Willie Mays. Every time someone approached him, you could see in his body language he tensed up and just wanted to get it over with. That said, when he was with people he knew or like in my case, with people that were supposed to be there, and no one was asking him for stuff, he relaxed, laughed, told jokes and was great.

On day 2, we took him to Rickwood Field (America's Oldest Ballpark, 1910) where Willie played as a 17 year old for the Birmingham Black Barons. There were about 7 of us, including a friend of his and Renee, his PR person that traveled with him and Willie McCovey. We didn't know how long he would want to stay, but he wanted to see the old ballpark. We ended up sitting in the press box and listening to Willie tell baseball stories for almost 4 hours. It was awesome! One story I will expand on if requested is that Willie and Bobby Bonds told Barry he would not/could not sign with the Yankees when he hit free agency. Barry listened and re-signed with the Giants.

Background: The reason he visited was we did a deal with him to use his likeness for a bobblehead doll giveaway. I handled the deal for the team. I attached one of my prized possessions - the original contract I wrote up for the deal with Willie's signature right next to mine!

2. Vida Blue - Another bobblehead giveaway. Vida agreed to come to the ball park and do a signing during the game for fans. Before the game he was in our office and saw me opening a case and writing names on them. We always made sure all staff, players and coaches got one. I always wrote their name on them and put them in each player's locker. One of the interns was helping me and asked Vida if he would sign his. Vida said hell, why don't I sign them all. He pulled up a chair and sat in the middle of my office and signed every one. After the game, he was still there, hanging out in the office and came back and asked me where a good place to have a drink. I told him where some of us went and he said let's go. He invited half the office and we all went out and drank beer for a couple more hours. He was as personable as you can get.

This is long so I will share one more for now.... This is a unique good and bad story.

Albert Belle - He was a complete enigma. In 1998 we hosted the Orioles and Phillies in an exhibition game the day before opening day.
The Bad - Belle would not sign autographs for the fans, blew off all that asked. Conversely, Ripken signed so long pre-game they had to ask him to come back into the clubhouse because the people whose seats where nearby couldn't get to them and the game was about to start. I had a clubhouse worker get some baseballs signed for me and he signed mine off the sweet spot, Albert Joey Belle. The clubhouse kid (who several years later would sign with the White Sox and later play in that some clubhouse in AA) said he was gruff in the clubhouse too.

The Good - After the game, fans crowded the exit ramp from the clubhouse where they load the bus. Belle came out earlier than most players, got on the bus and sat in the first seat by the window. He opened the window and told one of the security guards to bring him the kids, and the kids only. For the next 30-40 minutes, he signed something thru the window for every kid that was out there...... except one. More bad - One kid had a Cleveland Indians hat on and Belle looked at him and said I'm not signing for the Indians kid. Rumor has it the kid took his hat off and blended back in and got an autograph, but I was told Belle wasn't nice when he said it to the kid.

That's enough for now... got way too long. Lots more stories, fortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mays contract.jpg (76.5 KB, 843 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

[QUOTE=docpatlv;1738844]It's funny how people can have different outcomes with meeting the same players. I'm sure they get tired of people "bothering" them, I know that I probably would.

This is so true. I was in White Plains Saturday and a couple guys talking about how miserable Pete Rose was. I met him two years ago at induction weekend. No one in line so they asked if I wanted a picture with Pete (no charge) then we chatted a few minutes about my tshirt (Mr Perfect) and I told him about how good of friends he was it Boggs. Good experience.

Guys who got bad reps who were great with me - Fisk, Yaz

Great guys who was kind of a dick Tim Wakefield. In fairness he was generous enough to take tons of photos with kids and I think he thought he was getting a break with me as an adult and was annoyed.

I had two negative experiences with Bob Feller but they make me laugh when I think about them so they are actually more memorable than the negatives.

The biggest dick ever was Kelly Shoppach. Who? Exactly. Tristar did a lot of Boston area shows around the time the Pats and Sox won between 01-07. He was a free autograph I think and total ahole.

Matthew Slater of the Patriots could be the nicest guy ever. What he appears to be in interviews and on the field is 100% him. I was glad to meet him after last years Super Bowl.

I met Bench at a show in Cooperstown and he was extremely nice and stood up for a picture with me.

Last edited by Marchillo; 01-15-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

The worst experience I had was with Billy Williams at the 2008 Cubs Convention. They sold pictures then stood in line for an autograph. I waited in line for about an hour waiting for the picture to be autographed (which was ok). I noted him signing other things for lots of people besides the photograph and had one of his baseball cards with me. When it was my turn (and he signed a couple of cards for the person in front of me along with the picture) I asked him to please sign the card along with the picture. He blew me off by saying "I don't sign anything but the picture" and then said "Next". I really took offense at that at have never had any respect for him since then.

The best was Hank Sauer. I got to meet him at a show outside Atlanta around 1995. I had a magazine for him to sign. When I got to him I mentioned that I had send a bb card in 1952 to Spring Training for him to sign and it never came back. He seemed surprised and said he always signed and then proceeded to ask me to come up and sit next to him while he signed. In between signings we talked baseball and, to me, that was better than getting the card signed. I was up there talking to him for over two hours. A class act by a class man. Everything I have read about him always said how great a person he was and he proved it to me.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 AM
P.aul Orl,in

best: just about every famous hockey player i ever met. hockey guys are the best!! Messier, Richter, Anderson, Leetch, Greschner, St. Louis, Richard, Gilbert, Gretzky, Janssens, Orr, all super nice and happy to chat.

worst: easily Tom Seaver. i was 8 years old, he was my hero, he was signing at a Catskills, NY resort so my dad took me there, i was waiting next in line with an index card to get signed, and i was so nervous i slid my card so it was closer to him and he screamed at me: "You wait your turn!!". never forgot it, hated him ever since. pompous jerk.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:56 AM

Best Experience: Curtis Granderson. I was at Tigers camp during spring training the year after his remarkable 20-20-20-20 season. After practice Granderson signed for literally every single person there that day. He must have 45 minutes just to walk around and sign autographs for anyone who wanted one. He talked to everyone too, took photos, he was just such a nice guy.

Miguel Cabrera was also really nice at Tigers camp too. One day he signed on his way into the clubhouse, then came back out after he showered and changed and signed again for anyone who wasn't there when he went in.

Worst Experience: Tommy Lasorda. Talk about a guy with a high opinion of himself. At Dodgers spring training he sets up this dinky table that he sits behind, despite no one asking him to do it, just so he can watch people line up for his crappy autograph. He has a pout on his face the whole time, refuses to talk to anyone about anything, and if you've got a baseball he'll sign it and roll it to you and if you have a card he'll sign it and flip it at you. Won't shake a hand either despite having nothing to do.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:15 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Best/Worst

BEST - Brooks Robinson

Brooks was my hero growing up as well as my families favorite player. Likely if you didn’t follow the Orioles I don’t really think you can truely understand how great a player Brooksie was for the Birds. I have met Brooks several times over the years and it was just the same, every time, like I was his friend and he was so glad to see me. I remember the first time I met Brooks, I was so nervous to meet my hero, I just kind of rambled. He said “why don’t we take a picture together”. I guess he noticed I was nervous; he was always so gracious. In tribute my son is named Brooks after my hero. Love the quote, "Brooks (Robinson) never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, people named their children after him." - Gordon Beard.

Worst - Hank Aaron

Not that a person is obligated to be nice at a signing, but not even acknowledge anyone, nor even look up while they are at a signing to me I personally don’t really care for.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Scott

Worst: Easily the legendary grouch Willie Mays

Best: Brooks Robinson, treated u like an old friend and was seemingly humbled that people wanted his signature.

Also, Earl Weaver and Dennis Eckersley, who was incredibly nice to a kid in front of me too

Carl Erskine, Phil Rizzuto and NFL Hofer Bob Lilly were super also.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Sam Lemoine

Best - Jose Canseco. I was at an A's game in 1990. Jose was the biggest star in baseball, and after the game there were about 100 of us lined up at a fence near player parking, with another hundred or so at another fence nearby. One by one, the A's players ignored us. Last guy out is Jose accompanied by his wife Esther. He comes to the fence and starts signing. Midway through he asks Esther to go to the other fence to let them know he will be over shortly. He signed for every one of us, then walked over to the other fence for everyone else.

Also best - Bob Feller and Lou Burdette. It is the Summer of 1988 and there is a major convention in Arlington Texas. I live there and I am broke. I can't believe Mantle and Mays are in a building blocks from me and I can't even afford entrance. My wife and I go to the mall to kill some time. In the center, I see a giant baseball and 2 older guys sitting. As I get closer, I see it is Bob Feller and Lou Burdette. Nobody is near them. I go up and we talk for about a half hour. I go to Woolworths and buy a pack of index cards and a baseball and they sign multiple things for free. Bob Feller takes my 2 year old daughter and rocks her to sleep while singing her lullabies. Better than the convention any day!

Worst - Bo Jackson. Spring training, 1987 with the Royals. George Brett was signing for everyone. So was Frank White, Jorge Orta, and more. Bo comes out and kids flock to him. He drops a few F bombs and tells the kids to get lost. I couldn't believe it.

Honorable mentions - Had very positive experiences with Dale Murphy, Willie Stargell, Billy Kilmer, Lou Brock, and Lester Hayes.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Jim Shuttleworth

I was never an autograph person. I lived near Sparky Lyle's parents as a kid in the late 70s to early 80s. He was always friendly with us when he was around.

Rickey Henderson was my favorite non-Pirate growing up. I finally got to meet him in the mid-late 90s before a game at Three Rivers. A friend got us press passes. He told me I had to be professional. I met Rickey on the field before the game. He blew me off on his way out to the outfield to warm up. Flash forward a few years. I was sitting with a few friends at a strip club in Pittsburgh when Rickey walked in by himself. As he walked by, I yelled, "Hey Rickey." He came over an hung out for a few minutes and chatted. It was great.

I used to hit the same place every morning for breakfast on the North Side of Pittsburgh. One morning I walked in to find Franco Harris was in my seat surrounded by some guys in suits. I decided it was best to leave him alone and sit elsewhere. I used to leave flowers at his house on the North Ave every December 23rd. Never saw him there.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Best- I played video pong (pre Nintendo days for those who aren't old enough to remember) with Bobby Nystrom (NY Islanders) when I was 13. He let me score 20 points before he scored 21 straight to beat me.

Worst- By far- Willie Mays. He purposely signed something for my brother in a shaded area so you could not see the autograph (that we paid for).

Jeff
Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Derek D@vis

Best - Luke Appling - Appling asked my friend and I to sit down a chat when you saw us walking around the back fields in West Palm during spring training. We pulled up some folding chairs and spoke with him for about 15 minutes. I wish I knew what I do know at the time (teen), so I would have appreciated more then.

Best #2 - Roger Maris - At a Yankees legends golf tourney in Ft. Lauderdale, I was getting autos on a ball and had a cast on my arm. When I asked Roger Maris to sign my ball, he noticed the cast with my friends signatures on it and asked if he could sign it too. Of course I said yes. He really couldn't have been nicer. Shortly after, I ran into Joe Dimaggio to get the ball signed. I asked if he would sign the cast too. As you can imagine, the look he gave me was priceless. He signed it though. 6th grade at the time, so I also didn't appreciate how big these guys were.

Worst - Hank Aaron - While I was sitting on a bench with no one else around, out comes Hank. He was meeting a couple of people, who I guess were his friends. He calls me over and asks to borrow a pen so he could sign something for them. I give it to him and wait closely by as he signed and talked with them another 5 minutes or so. He finishes up with them and gives me my pen back. I ask if he can sign one for me and he just walks away. No one else around. Never got him once. *&%$
Old 01-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Tony Quinn

Sat with many famous athletes when my dad did autograph/card shows in the 80's and 90's. Many great experiences, a few clunkers.

Best: Stan Musial (HE bought ME lunch) we sat behind the curtains, just me and him and it was like talking to your grandpa. Eddie Mathews, Steve Garvey, Duke Snider, Don Drysdale were all super nice and treated everyone respectfully.

Middle: Bob Gibson, nice to me, jerk to everyone else.

Worst: Pete Rose. By far the biggest a-hole I've ever met. Didn't recognize it for what it was back then, but was placing bets the entire time he was signing autographs. Had a crew of track suit wearing clowns giving him odds the entire 2 hours while he was telling them how many thousands of dollars to bet on each one. Not to mentioned treated all the people who paid to get his signature like crap.I hope he never makes the Hall, doesn't deserve the pleasure.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:20 PM
D@v3 W@u9h

Best - Patrick Roy - A couple of times my buddy and I drove into Boston to the hotel where visiting teams usually stayed (baseball and hockey at least). Roy came down to the lobby and was engulfed by other autograph hounds. While he graciously obliged everyone we stayed away to be on the lookout for other players who might come down and try to slip by while the crowd was occupied. We were both working on signed 1990-91 Upper Deck sets and knew there were tougher sigs than his that we needed. I'm sure we got someone but don't remember who. But I knew I was gambling that I might miss out by not standing in line for one of my idols, Roy. Anyway, about an hour later he returned, carrying a bag with several boxes of golf balls from a local golf store. As he approached, I politely asked if he would sign a few cards for my set and held out the cards and a Sharpie. He said sure, and had me hold the golf balls while he signed. While he signed I joked about him coming all the way from Canada to Mass. just to buy golf balls. We chatted a bit about golf. When the cards were dry I put them back into the stack I was carrying and he spotted some more of his cards that I'd brought. Having seen how many he'd signed on his way out I didn't want to look greedy and so had only dared ask about the ones I needed for my set. He said "Are those more of me? I'll sign them." I had about 12 more cards and told him so. He replied that that was OK and he signed them all! A great experience I remember vividly to this day. I haven't collected autographs in like 20 years but hockey players were usually FAR more gracious than baseball players regrading fan appreciation.

Best - Dwight Evans - My favorite Sox player. A diehard fan since about 1977. While he was a player he didn't make many show appearances, but did do one locally in the late 1980s, the only chance I've ever had to meet him. I brought with me a game used bat and a portrait I'd done of him. I'd met several players before but for some reason I was really nervous meeting him. When I presented the drawing I thought for sure he'd love it. He hesitated, looking at it for a minute. Then he asked, "did you do this?". I answered yes, I had. "There's too much gray in my hair." I nearly crapped my pants thinking he was being critical but then I looked up from the drawing and saw he was smiling and only joking with me, which put me right at ease. I replied that it must have been just the way the light was hitting his hair. He complimented me on the likeness and then even asked where I'd like him to sign it. Said he felt bad signing over the actual drawing. Shook my hand and thanked ME! Still have the drawing.

Worst - Ted Williams - A has been well documented he was a pompous curmudgeon. Gigantic letdown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evans.jpg (40.7 KB, 637 views)
1971T NM+ 498/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT+ 82/225 (36%)
1968T NM 173/598 (29%)
1975T NMMT 186/660 (28%)
1969T NM 125/664 (19%)
1971OPC NM 108/752 (14%)
Old 01-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Tony Gordon

Best experience was in summer of 1981, I was 14 years-old, when the Boston Red Sox were here in Chicago to play the White Sox. I walked into the Ron of Japan steakhouse with my family in Downtown Chicago. The host immediately handed me a blank postcard, pointed at a table, said the guys there were baseball players and told me to get their autographs on the postcard. I immediately recognized Carl Yastrzemski. I walked over to Yaz and asked him to sign the postcard. He couldn't have been more gracious. He signed the postcard then handed it over to Dwight Evans, Frank Tanana and Chuck Rainey, who all signed as well.

My worst experience was in the summer of 1983 when the All-Star game was at Comiskey Park. My dad somehow got us tickets to the players' dinner on the night before the game at a hotel in Downtown Chicago. Prior to the dinner, the players were scattered all over the hotel. I walked around and got quite a few autographs. I found a group of players having a conversation with Rod Carew in an empty banquet hall. I had been a huge fan of Carew and checked his stats daily in the Sports Section of the Chicago Tribune. I walked up to the group and had each guy sign a single baseball, except for Carew. I stood next to him for what seemed like forever, probably five or ten minutes. I thought he would take the ball from my hand like the other guys. Instead, he ignored me. I finally said, "Excuse me, Mr. Carew, can you sign my baseball?" He exploded at me, shouting, "Can't you see that I'm talking!" I said I was sorry and walked away, no longer a fan of Rod Carew.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Fred

I didn't exactly meet him but...

At a Padre game, long, long ago... there was a player named Chris Gomez. As most people that attend MLB games know, the players warm up before the ball game and some will sign autographs and toss balls to the kids.

I was with my son, he was fairly young at the time. I was watching Gomez play catch with another player. I always bring a glove to a game (never know when a foul balls coming) and had it with me. Chris Gomez motions to me to raise my glove. He's at least a second to home throw away from the stands (it was just a bit further). I put my glove about head high and about a foot and a half away from my head. He throws a strike into the glove. I didn't have to the glove an inch. Tipped my hat and said thank you and nice throw.

Ok, here's one when I was a teenager. Mid to late 1970's. Dale Murphy is a rookie. Before the game starts, I asked him if he cracked his bat during the game if I could have it and he replied yes. Early in the game he cracked one however he was pulled from the game before the fifth inning. After the game I figured he'd probably headed back to the clubhouse. Instead, he had a bat in his hand and was looking around until he saw me. He then handed me the bat to which I said THANK YOU!. Turned out he was using a Phil Neikro bat that day. In that same series Biff Pocoroba cracked three bats during the series and gave them all to me. Dang, it's not hard to understand how a kid can get hooked on the game and the players.

Last one - Dave Winfield (yeah, he was a Padre at the start). I think I got 4 of his bats (nice black LS with a cork handle) in one season. Before and after games he'd sign. There were times he'd sign anything but then again there were times he was just human and having a bad day and didn't bother and may have seemed like a dick. I think it's timing. Sometimes you find a player in a good mood and at other times maybe the guys wife just let him know she found out about his girlfriend.....

I've got tons of fun stories and memories from when I was a kid going to MLB games.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:01 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

When I was about 12, I was hanging out at a sports club/gym in the Boston area when a giant of a man walked in, put more weight on a bench press bar than I had ever seen before, and proceeded to crank out rep after rep with what looked to be no effort. I remember that the bar was bending. After he finished, I walked up to him and asked if he was a football player. Looked me dead in the eye, and with a completely straight face, responded “yeah, you want to fight”? I froze for a second and then turned to walk away when he broke out in a huge smile, and told me his name... Fred Smerlas (nose tackle for Bills, Niners and Patriots). I asked if he was going to be there for a while, then rode my bike home, flipped through my football cards until I found a few of his, then hauled back to the gym. He signed all the cards, couldn’t have been nicer.

Around the same time period, I was at Legal Seafood in Burlington, MA with my family. Saw Jerry Remy (then 2B for the Red Sox) eating with his family. I stood up, walked over to his table, interrupted his meal (to the horror of my parents), and asked for an autograph, even though I didn’t have a pen, or anything for him to sign. He couldn’t have been more gracious, found a pen and signed for me (don’t remember what he signed). Had a chance to talk to him a few years ago, and still a very nice guy.

At spring training a few years ago, saw Luis Tiant sitting in a golf cart. Had my kids walk up and ask for autos. Absolute nicest guy in the world. Spoke with the kids for a few minutes, asked them about their Little League teams and how they were doing in school. Got the impression that the whole reason he was there was because he loved talking to people and signing autos. Same day, met a bunch of other players including David Price. Was pleasantly surprised, as he signed for every single kid until there were none left without an auto.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Bruce Mattioli

In the wild:

George Brett was the best

Doug Flutie awesome

Wade Boggs OK 2 times

Dwight Evans awesome

Kirby Puckett unfortunately not good, Thought I was a dealer outside Fenway Park..

That's it from my memory banks..
Old 01-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Tim S.

Best: Stan Musial in the mid/late 80s. Still have this on my desk ('61 Topps signed card and baseball) as I am typing this. Arrived late to Dayton, OH baseball card show after work...feel I was lucky...as it was not crowded. Was in a group of young teenagers ( I was around 15). He smiled and asked us all how we were doing and if any of us played ball. A kid's dream come true being asked this by a hero. Will never forget this.

Worst: Unfortunately, Hank Aaron (in 80's). Also Dayton, OH. Arrived early. Long line. He never looked up. Just signed and went on to the next person. He didn't look like he wanted to be there. Kind of a let-down.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Brandon Bailey

Best Brooks Robinson

Great Roberto Duran, Steve Garvey, Jim Palmer, Steve Carlton, George Foster, Bill Walton, George Foreman

Worst Mickey Mantle, Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, Joey Giradello
Old 01-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
BEST - Brooks Robinson

Brooks was my hero growing up as well as my families favorite player. Likely if you didn’t follow the Orioles I don’t really think you can truely understand how great a player Brooksie was for the Birds. I have met Brooks several times over the years and it was just the same, every time, like I was his friend and he was so glad to see me. I remember the first time I met Brooks, I was so nervous to meet my hero, I just kind of rambled. He said “why don’t we take a picture together”. I guess he noticed I was nervous; he was always so gracious. In tribute my son is named Brooks after my hero. Love the quote, "Brooks (Robinson) never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, people named their children after him." - Gordon Beard.

Worst - Hank Aaron

Not that a person is obligated to be nice at a signing, but not even acknowledge anyone, nor even look up while they are at a signing to me I personally don’t really care for.
This was EXACTLY my experience with both of these guys. I got both Brooks and Aaron at the same show in 1992 (see post 3 above). Brooks was just insanely nice and accomodating, chatting with me and my friend, posing for a picture, putting a personal message on his autograph, etc. He just went out of his way to be nice to us.

Then getting Aaron's autograph was the most impersonal, rule bound, unpleasant experience ever. They might as well have had a guy with a bullhorn shouting at all us plebians in line:

"Thou shalt not speak to Mr. Aaron, thou shalt not make eye contact with Mr. Aaron, thou shalt not do anything to make Mr. Aaron aware of your existence in close physical proximity to Mr. Aaron....."

Since that day Brooks has been one of my all time favorites (despite not being an O's fan), while Aaron I couldn't care less for.

Here is Brooks Robinson with two awkward teenagers who are huge fans of his today thanks to this meeting 25 years ago!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MeandBrooksand Mike.jpg (63.2 KB, 610 views)

Last edited by seanofjapan; 01-15-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Joshua

Best and worst at the same time. Getting Ted Williams to autograph a ball I was using to collect HOF autographs. Was at a card show. When he finished signing the ball, he bounced the ball to me. At first I was so scared if the ball was to get scuffed because it had mickey mantle, among others on the ball.

Now I'm older, I kind of laugh at it, cause I will never sell it. It was my childhood memory. And now when I think about it, a ball is made to be played with. Perhaps that's what (I would like) Mr. Williams was trying to say to me as a kid.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I remember Whitey Ford being a jerk when I got his autograph at the grand opening of a Wiz store. Willie Mays didn't even look up when I got his signature (which looked like 2 squiggly lines) at a card show.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Tony Gwynn was the nicest and friendliest athlete I have ever met. Such a gentleman, and an absolute San Diego legend.

Also had the pleasure of meeting Lenny Wilkens over the weekend. A triple Hall-of-Famer, he was incredibly cordial and talkative. We laughed about what a dump the Cincinnati Gardens was (and how a professional team probably wouldn't even practice there today).
Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Tony Gwynn was the nicest and friendliest athlete I have ever met. Such a gentleman, and an absolute San Diego legend.

Also had the pleasure of meeting Lenny Wilkens over the weekend. A triple Hall-of-Famer, he was incredibly cordial and talkative. We laughed about what a dump the Cincinnati Gardens was (and how a professional team probably wouldn't even practice there today).
Totally agree regarding Tony Gwynn. He was so generous with his time while signing, made eye contact, and shook my hand. My son, 11 at the time in 2007, will always remember what a genuine gentleman Tony was. Me too.

Last edited by tjb1952tjb; 01-17-2018 at 02:45 AM.