NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default Classic Productions?

My mother just passed away and I am back in New Jersey going through her things. My mom was a huge Cal Ripken fan because I designed the graphics at Oriole Park when it was built. As a Christmas gift I obtained an autographed ball from a connection in the Orioles front office and that turned out to be one of the best Christmas gifts I ever gave someone. It sat on a bookshelf in the living room for years and I came across it again yesterday.

Rawlings MLB baseball signed on the sweetspot. I don't collect autographs but from wandering around Net54 I know the COA that came with it has a good chance of being garbage. The company is called "Classic Productions" and says it was signed in their presence and the sticker on the paper is 10576.

Don't really care too much if it is fake of not, it was free and my mom didn't know the difference, it just made her happy. I'm not a Ripken fan at all and I'd like to pass it on, but if it's fake I will destroy it (or most likely play catch with it!).

I don't have a camera on me but the main thing I need to know is if the COA is from a reputable company. If it is I'll did deeper and post pictures, if not, I guess I'll go out in the yard and see if my curve still has anything on it.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:46 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

I have never heard of that company and cannot find any info on them doing a signing with Ripken.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 07-08-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM

I have no knowledge that they are related but there was a company named Classic that produced sports cards in the 1990s and they had autographed insert cards of folks like Shaquille Oneal and Alex Rodriguez.

Last edited by drc; 07-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM

Just looked and the company name was Classic Games, Inc and they were a subsidiary of Scoreboard.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Just looked and the company name was Classic Games, Inc and they were a subsidiary of Scoreboard.
Yes. I think Gary is referring to "Classic" which was owned by Kenny Goldin. He had autograph contracts with everyone back then.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:02 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

So this may be a good ball? After reading all the bad stories over the years I figured it was probably bad since I didn't see him sign it in person! Thanks for all the input, I couldn't find a thing about this company.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Yes. I think Gary is referring to "Classic" which was owned by Kenny Goldin. He had autograph contracts with everyone back then.
yes, but they idn't affix stickers to anything; I'm thinking this is an entirely different company
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

the sticker with the number on it is on the COA paper that came with it, not on the ball.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
the sticker with the number on it is on the COA paper that came with it, not on the ball.
Common practice for Kenny and team back then.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I read a thread a while back that the ol' "working class hero" Ripken has lawyers that pull his autograph from ebay, is that still true? Like I said, I'm not a Ripken fan and want to get rid of this in the near future but don't want my auction cancelled by him.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Goldin was, and perhaps still is, the autograph/memorabilia agent for Ripken, so if the ball is from him it would be legitimate. Though we haven't cleared up that Classic Productions is Goldin's company.

Though I think there's a strong chance your COA is a Goldin/Sore Board thing. I say this because Score Board was a major multi million dollar company and they would not have been willing to let someone else use the Classic name to hawk baseball autographs. That Godin at one time was Ripken's rep only it that more likely.

The kicker would if there was an address on the COA. Score Board and Goldin were out of Cherry Hills New Jersey I believe.

Last edited by drc; 07-08-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
I read a thread a while back that the ol' "working class hero" Ripken has lawyers that pull his autograph from ebay, is that still true? Like I said, I'm not a Ripken fan and want to get rid of this in the near future but don't want my auction cancelled by him.
they pull only the forgeries
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Perry Lin

This sure sounds like a Scoreboard item. Ripken was Ken Goldin's biggest athlete by far. Ripken probably signed 5x as many items for Ken than any athlete.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:45 PM
James Wymer

If you post a picture of the ball I think guys could help even more.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Thank you for all the responses to this Ripken ball question, but most of all, I really appreciate the nice messages I received from Net54ers about my Mom's passing. To say I was touched would be an understatement.

I finally got home and was able to take some pictures of the ball with the COA. If you can't make it out, the sticker on the ball matches the sticker on the cert. If indeed this thing is original, any idea what it would go for? I don't collect signatures that I didn't get in person or need a metallic sticker and certificate to go with it, so I would like to put it on ebay or here in the BST section.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Perry Lin

I'm sorry to disappoint you but this is definitely not from Ken Goldin, Classic, or Scoreboard.

The auto itself seems bad. Ripken's signature has evolved over the years and he almost never signs his full name. In the examples I've seen, the last name looks nothing like what you've posted. The p and k are discernible. In yours, the k looks like it is before the p. The i is also very distinct with a definitive point. Lastly, there is almost always a lean in the j like a /. Yours is a little more vertical than I would like.

There is enough suspicion that would scare me away from this but ripken has had so many sig changes that this could be a variation.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM

They tried to sign a vintage Ripken signature on a modern MLB baseball. LOL
Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

No disappointment, it was free. I'm thankful for the opinions, I don't want to sell anything that could be fake.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Forsure fake. Sorry.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Ken Goldin

Hello All
I have joined. Yes, this is the Real ken Goldin and can be verified with Leon.
The autograph above is not authentic, and that company is NOT from a company I was affiliated with.
ALL (100%) of all ripken autographs that were ever sold by Goldin Sports came with a Cal Ripken jr #8 hologram ON THE ITEM
regards
Ken Goldin
Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
Hello All
The autograph above is not authentic, and that company is NOT from a company I was affiliated with.
ALL (100%) of all ripken autographs that were ever sold by Goldin Sports came with a Cal Ripken jr #8 hologram ON THE ITEM
regards
Ken Goldin

Hi Ken
Thanks for joining and posting. On this forum there won't be anyone impersonating anyone else. Per the rules you can remain private unless you get into an argument or want to give an opinion of someone or a business. Then your first and last name has to be in your post. You will never have to worry about that as your user id is your name....See ya round here ...
Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
Hello All
regards
Ken Goldin
Welcome, Ken! Glad to have your expertise on here. As your 2nd order of business, can you look at the My Favorite Players thread and give us a little history on that?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Richard Simon

I know obviously that Ripken is alive and well but I wanted to add that none of Kenny's autographs came from the grave.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-07-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Ken Goldin

Hi Richard! and yes Derrtick, I will try to search that in next day or so and comment.
if you want to PM me with a link to it to save me time, feel free as I am just learning this site
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
I obtained an autographed ball from a connection in the Orioles front office
If it's been established that the signature is a fake, I wonder just how good the Orioles front office "connection" was.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

The connection was a girl I knew who was an intern at the time. No idea how she came across it and since it was free, don't really care, but it did make my Mom really, really happy, authentic or fake. As for the ball in question, when I play catch later this week this will be the ball I'll be using...