NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default OMG! You will love this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-LO...item4168fe851d

I just love the write up.

"VERY RARE LOU GEHRIG SIGNATURE, JSA CERTIFIED.
Henry "Lou" Gehrig (June 19, 1903 - June 2, 1941). Lou Gehrig is the second most famous Yankee of All-time behind only Babe Ruth. His record of playing in 2130 games which began in 1925 stood strong until 1995 when it was finally broken by Cal Ripken Jr. Lou Gehrig's #4 was the first to be retired by any team after he fatefully under his "I am the luckiest man on the face of this earth speech" as he was forced to retire from baseball. His career ended short and abruptly but his legacy did not. Gehrig was a 2 time MVP, Triple Crown Winner, still holds the record for most grand slams of all time, was a 6 time world series champion, hit .340 over his career and holds 3 of the top 6 RBI totals for a season.

This is the best part
SUBMIT BEST OFFER: Here is a chance to own a piece of paper that was actually touched by the family of Lou Gehrig. This magnificent item is guaranteed to be an authentic authorized clubhouse signature by Lou Gehrig, JSA Certification X73354. The signature by Lou's wife Eleanor is incredibly bold and one of the finest Lou Gehrig Signatures in existence. GEM MINT 10!!!! Lou's signature was in such demand he often has authorized signers like his wife, aid him with his signature, especially as his muscles deteriorated with ALS. You will not fine a finer signature around and especially for this price. Do not miss out. MAKE YOUR OFFER TODAY!!!

This Authentic Lou Gehrig Signed Album Page with cut out photo measures 3.5"x2.75". The presentation looks absolutely spectacular in person! This is an extraordinary opportunity to purchase a piece of Authentic Lou Gehrig memorabilia. Please e-mail us with any questions and view our other auctions. We will also ship this item internationally. SUBMIT OFFER NOW BEFORE THIS ITEM IS GONE, IT WONT LAST LONG!!!!"

How can something signed by his wife be "one of the finest authentic signatures in existence"?
Can certified authentic Marino Mantle forgeries be around the corner?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-02-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
$teve O.

Don't miss out.It won't last long!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:52 PM
$teve O.

I wonder what a signature of Mrs.Gehrig signed by Lou would be worth?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

What a fraud...that item needs pulled ASAP!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM

It's not a fraud, and there's no reason to pull it. It is exactly what it's described to be--an Eleanor Gehrig ghost signature. It's not worth anything near the asking price, but anyone who actually reads the (somewhat misleading) description knows precisely what's being offered.

(Of course, anyone who knows Gehrig's signature knows, on sight, that it's Eleanor.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

David,

Let's not kid ourselves here... Look at the Heading:
VERY RARE LOU GEHRIG Signature AUTOGRAPH MLB Baseball JSA Signed Card Authentic
MINT LOU GEHRIG SIGNATURE. ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED!!

Okay, don't pull it, but require the guy to post an accurate heading. You know as well as I do that it is very misleading and he certainly does the best he can to hide that with his extremely wordy description.

There is a place for an item like this and it's called Craigslist.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

David,
I agree it isn't fraud, but it certainly does straddle that fine line.
The author chose his words and phrasing very carefully to not say anything blatantly false. He is attempting to lead the reader to a certain conclusion without actually saying it.
I have to give him some kudos for skilled prose.

I just thought it was pretty funny.

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Banned

i assume since the loa is also for landis and ruth, the winner would only get a copy of the jsa cert?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Wow, another extraordinary opportunity. Today, I am the luckiest man on the face of the Internet.
Too bad my name isn't William
Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Jim M.arinari

For the amount that JSA charges, is it too much to ask that they spell check? I mean, really. Bue????
Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
David,

Let's not kid ourselves here... Look at the Heading:
VERY RARE LOU GEHRIG Signature AUTOGRAPH MLB Baseball JSA Signed Card Authentic
MINT LOU GEHRIG SIGNATURE. ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED!!

Okay, don't pull it, but require the guy to post an accurate heading. You know as well as I do that it is very misleading and he certainly does the best he can to hide that with his extremely wordy description.

There is a place for an item like this and it's called Craigslist.
Yeah, you're right about the description being misleading.
But it is a legitimate, period, Gehrig artifact. I have an Eleanor-signed "Gehrig" in my collection, as do many Gehrig collectors.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Haha awesome

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 08-03-2012 at 09:39 AM.