NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Default Will Coin Grading "Improvements" Come to the Card Side?

Over the past week, I've been dipping my toes in looking at some type coins. I've noticed some differences in coin grading that have been "joked" about for cards, and wondering what people think of these. I realize that some people don't like grading at all, but this thread is more for those who purchase graded cards.

(1) The "slab" on a slab:

Evidently there is some company called "CAC" or something, where if you submit a graded coin to them, they will put a CAC sticker on your slab if your coin is "strong" for its grade. This seems to be fairly well accepted in the coin community.

(2) TruView/SecureView:

For PCGS (for a $10 fee), when you submit your coin for grading, you also have the option to get a high quality photo taken of both sides of it. This appears when someone does a cert check on your slab, so then you can also verify that the coin you may be buying matches the slab. In addition, it would technically be an "objective" view of that coin, so people would not be as concerned about sellers changing their scanner or photo settings to make the card or coin appear better than it really is. One example is here: Link
Old 10-23-2013, 03:01 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

My thoughts:

1) This one will never happen I don't believe.

2) This one is feasible, but I think the $10 price tag is a bit too much.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

#2 is a neat idea for a service but I'd limit it to expensive cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I dont think any chance for #1 but I like #2.

I would think any card valued at say $1000 or above would be worth the investment as any prospective buyer would be able to verify it. Makes me think think of the craigslist cards that are in fake psa slabs with fake certs, something like this would make it harder for the scammers.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Dan Marke1

I recall GAI did something similar to #1: rendering a second opinion on the graded card and placing a sticker on the slab showing that it met their approval.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Gary, I agree with most that #1 does not seem feasable, I would doubt a company would do that without examining the card outside the slab. On the other hand #2, would be great and extremely useful in the hobby. As was said before, most likely only for higher $ cards.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 10-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Barry Sloate

Who is going to check CAC's grading to make sure they got it right?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

I had the following thought today and it is related to this thread.

Would a collectible society work? By this society, I mean a board of collectors that provide a stamp of approval on companies, individual cards (graded or natural)?

I think it could work if collectors buy into it.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:07 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

BTW, does anyone know if SGC is affiliated with NGC, the coin grading company? Their icons look the same, and obviously the names of the companies are very similar. One thing I noticed today is that the NGC coin registry allows both NGC coins and PCGS coins in the registry (although it does look like the PCGS coins don't receive any registry points). Still, it's a nice way to have a checklist of all of your graded stuff in one place. Here's an example: Link
Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM

years ago, NGC, SGC and CGC were under the same umbrella, they have since been split up.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
John Clowes

Another coin grading company, ANACS, charges $3 for scanned images.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't be so sure that a CAC type company wouldn't show up and try to get a foothold in cards.
A company called CVAC, led by a guy who used to work for Comiclink (they run sportcardlink) has tried to do the same with comics.
When the program was introduced on the CGC boards the level of mockery, disdain, and just junk talking was a sight to behold. It was one of the funnier threads I had ever been involved with over there.
I'm not sure how the card hobby would react but the comic side, at least on the CGC boards (and there are a lot of very high profile dealers and collectors there) the idea went over like a lead zeppelin.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

BTW, it looks like NGC does a security scan for all graded coins for free: Link.

The weird thing about coins is that there is something called "dipping" in coins, which looks like it is basically putting the coin in something like an acid bath to remove the outer patina, and thus making the coin look "whiter." And this is somewhat accepted in coin collecting community, and the major TPG's like PCGS and NGC still grade these types of coins with a number grade, and do not give them the "CLEANED" qualifier that it does to other coins that are cleaned in a different way. (This is like an extreme form of soaking for cards, I guess, but most anyone in the card community would say that if you used chemicals to soak a card, that is card doctoring.) Anyway, supposedly CAC, which is a coin grading company founded by one of the original founders of NGC, who later left, will only put their sticker of approval on coins that have not been dipped.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Anthøny N. ex

As Dan said, GAI would slab slabs.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
BTW, it looks like NGC does a security scan for all graded coins for free: Link.

The weird thing about coins is that there is something called "dipping" in coins, which looks like it is basically putting the coin in something like an acid bath to remove the outer patina, and thus making the coin look "whiter." And this is somewhat accepted in coin collecting community, and the major TPG's like PCGS and NGC still grade these types of coins with a number grade, and do not give them the "CLEANED" qualifier that it does to other coins that are cleaned in a different way. (This is like an extreme form of soaking for cards, I guess, but most anyone in the card community would say that if you used chemicals to soak a card, that is card doctoring.) Anyway, supposedly CAC, which is a coin grading company founded by one of the original founders of NGC, who later left, will only put their sticker of approval on coins that have not been dipped.
Dipping isn't really an acid type of thing, and while it's accepted it should be used with a bit of restraint.

Silver coins will tarnish over time. Depending on exactly how they tarnish it can be really good or really bad. Some become almost unrecognizable brownish/blackish lumps. Others end up with a wonderful rainbow like sheen.
The former really should be dipped. It's essentially just putting the coin in silver jewelry cleaner for a while until the ugly tarnish is gone.

The second sort shouldn't be dipped, The really nice looking ones usually bring a nice premium over both dipped or tarnished coins.

And
http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp
Old 11-24-2013, 08:03 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I recently noticed that PSA/DNA is already showing pictures of what is being authenticated for things like photos (Link) and autos (Link).