NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-17-2018, 08:25 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Default Oddball game-used memorabilia

Here is a photo I took of a grounds crew man at Citi Field cleaning the railing in front of the photographers' pen prior to the start of a recent Mets game.

(Photo taken June 9, 2018. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Here is a close-up photo of the actual squirt bottle used by that grounds crew man to perform the activity described above.

(Photo taken June 9, 2018. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

All it needs is an official Major League Baseball authentication hologram, and we now have an officially authenticated piece of game-used memorabilia.

Okay, I'm being silly here. But just a little. Sports is a passion - to some, a religion - and that extends into the world of sports memorabilia. Back in 1992, someone paid $440 for a toothpick - a toothpick - found in the pocket of a Tom Seaver warmup jacket (and it came with a letter of authenticity singed by "The Franchise" himself). And even weirder things have been sold. You or I may not want the specific items, but I'm sure you can understand, to some degree, why someone would be willing to pay real money for these things, even if some are so ewww-inducing that you don't even want to see pictures of them (the jockstrap Nolan Ryan wore when he threw his 7th no-hitter, anyone?).

So an empty plastic squirt bottle, something you can easily get in a 99˘ store, except that this one was used by a Citi Field grounds crew man, and the item comes with photo proof documenting its actual (pre-)game use. How high would you bid if it were up for auction?

[silence]

Understood. An oddball piece doesn't have to be weird or gross to be of limited "gotta have it" interest.

But what if it were a similar item... I don't know if they had plastic squirt bottles back then... what if it were a similar item used at, say, Ebbets Field?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Rick

That would be very funny, but often things are funny because there is an element of truth in them. As a Koufax collector, I have a lot of oddball stuff that many would think of as strange, but my wife has said she would make me stop collecting if I ever bought a Koufax game-used jock-strap.

Rick
Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2061794

I’m not sure this “game used” item can be topped. I guess it depends on which game you’re playing. The Vikings played a lot of games back then
Old 06-17-2018, 12:00 PM
Mikeknapp

Municipal Stadium home dugout phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.3 KB, 302 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 06-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Craig L.

As a Des Moines collector this team seat cushion is one of my favorite pieces. I doubt many collectors would cherish this as much as I do.

1947-58 Des Moines Bruins team proterty bench cushion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180524_124816.jpg (74.3 KB, 268 views)
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 06-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlankf View Post
As a Des Moines collector this team seat cushion is one of my favorite pieces. I doubt many collectors would cherish this as much as I do.

1947-58 Des Moines Bruins team property bench cushion.
They’ve been looking for that.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:39 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A guy who I think posts here once in a while owns an ARod game used autographed jockstrap.

Not game used, but I once owned Ted Williams' WWII toiletries case including his used comb, brush, shampoo bottle (half filled with WWII shampoo), half used chapstick, soap container, etc. The funny one (apart from the completely gross chapstick) was the thin plastic thing that took me a few months to realize was a shoe horn.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:32 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Default used

A rake that was said to have been used on the infield at Forbes Field
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rake top.jpg (80.9 KB, 190 views)
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Weird

Being a Cobb collector I remember an auction back in the day where one of the items was TY COBBS DENTURES !!! No kiddin!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Steve Birmingham

Come on now! That exact sprayer is twice as expensive as the 99cent store ones.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-32-o...3-21/205050147

Oddly, the first link I found was from Amazon where someone is selling them for $10 each!

And, if it was provable, that's just the sort of game used stuff that would fit my budget and odd sense of humor.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Rob

"Game used" honeymoon glass from the spring training site/hotel/golf course the Giants used to own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-06-18 05.23.00.jpg (72.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-06-18 06.52.01.jpg (71.6 KB, 90 views)