NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Default Holy Grail Pele Mail

Picked up the top two cards on my Post-War wantlist this past month - the Pele Alfa and Quigol!

As you might expect, the Alfa came from Sweden and the Quigol from Brazil. It's awesome to get cards that are not only 60 years old but also originate in different parts of the world.

The Alfa has a very sharp and vibrant image for a 1950's issue while the Quigol has perhaps the best design of any football set. The former is also more like a "card" while the latter is definitely a "sticker" in terms of its stock.

Anyone else have either or both? Which do you prefer?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

IMO the Alpha is a much nicer card. Elegant, simple, classic design.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-15-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have neither but like the Alfa more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Wow, those are terrific pick-ups! Been looking for both of those as well. Tough to find for a decent price now. It also feels like the amount of fake cards/fraud is on the rise for both examples.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Al Jurgela

Default I thought...

The the ALFA was the best Pele rookie card for a number of reasons:

1. It was clearly published in 1958 at the World Cup in Sweden
2. It is on cardboard stock
3. It was Pele's international "stardom" moment when the world recognized him as the talent that he was.

Although I very much love the design of the Quigol, I am pretty sure that it was not actually issued in 1958 based on my research. It is more likely a 1959-60 issue from what I can tell.

BUT, the market has "voted" in terms of value and the Pele Quigol is the only soccer card that I am aware of that has sold for more than $10k USD.

I also like the Titulares cards from Brazil, which I do believe are from 1958.

Also the VAV card from Italy is from 1958 and given its relative rarity when compared to the other issues from 1958, I really like it as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low Res Scans_0004.jpg (75.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Low Res Scans_0010.jpg (74.2 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg Low res soccer_0001.jpg (78.3 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Low res soccer_0002.jpg (74.2 KB, 270 views)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Looks not so good in the baggie.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Alifab...ty!02465!US!-1

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Do you prefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

I do not like the baggies in the SGC cards, but I do love the holders when they have the right cut. But for whatever reason, I also do not like the BVG ones or the PSA ones. I guess the BVG holder looks better than the baggie SGC one, but it is personal preference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low res soccer_0003.jpg (72.5 KB, 250 views)
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards

Last edited by aljurgela; 05-17-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: adding more color
Old 05-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Anish,

Congrats on picking up Pele's best cards. Are you going to send it to PSA? It looks VG-EX to me.

I like both cards, but the Quigol is way more difficult to find in high grade due to the following reasons:

- Printed on very thin paper stock

- Glued into albums.

- Poorly cut.

- Since the card was manufactured in Brazil, which is Pele's home country, it was obviously handled more due to popularity.

And I agree with Al that this card wasn't a 1958 issue, however, most collectors are probably aware of this and don't care. Look at the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card, for example. It is not his rookie, but Americans still go nuts over it.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
Wow, those are terrific pick-ups! Been looking for both of those as well. Tough to find for a decent price now. It also feels like the amount of fake cards/fraud is on the rise for both examples.
Thanks! Yeah, I’m lucky to have landed them at decent prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
The the ALFA was the best Pele rookie card for a number of reasons:

1. It was clearly published in 1958 at the World Cup in Sweden
2. It is on cardboard stock
3. It was Pele's international "stardom" moment when the world recognized him as the talent that he was.

Although I very much love the design of the Quigol, I am pretty sure that it was not actually issued in 1958 based on my research. It is more likely a 1959-60 issue from what I can tell.

BUT, the market has "voted" in terms of value and the Pele Quigol is the only soccer card that I am aware of that has sold for more than $10k USD.

I also like the Titulares cards from Brazil, which I do believe are from 1958.

Also the VAV card from Italy is from 1958 and given its relative rarity when compared to the other issues from 1958, I really like it as well.
Yup. Though for what it’s worth, Messi Megacracks PSA 10 has sold for over 10K and there is a Pele Alfa PSA 8.5 in Heritage this summer that will surely top that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Anish,

Congrats on picking up Pele's best cards. Are you going to send it to PSA? It looks VG-EX to me.

I like both cards, but the Quigol is way more difficult to find in high grade due to the following reasons:

- Printed on very thin paper stock

- Glued into albums.

- Poorly cut.

- Since the card was manufactured in Brazil, which is Pele's home country, it was obviously handled more due to popularity.

And I agree with Al that this card wasn't a 1958 issue, however, most collectors are probably aware of this and don't care. Look at the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card, for example. It is not his rookie, but Americans still go nuts over it.
Thanks man. I will submit it eventually, but as illustrated above they don’t look great in any of the slabs. PSA probably does the worst job as far as presentation and I want to enjoy looking at and/or displaying the card.

I like the SGC slabs when they have the custom cut, but I understand why they use the sleeves for some issues. The Quigol especially is so thin...
Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
... and there is a Pele Alfa PSA 8.5 in Heritage this summer that will surely top that.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I also see that a PSA 8 Quigol will be auctioned off at the same time. This summer is a perfect time to list soccer cards because of the World Cup.

Quote:
PSA probably does the worst job as far as presentation and I want to enjoy looking at and/or displaying the card.

I like the SGC slabs when they have the custom cut, but I understand why they use the sleeves for some issues. The Quigol especially is so thin...
But then why did you send all your prewar hockey cards to PSA?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I also see that a PSA 8 Quigol will be auctioned off at the same time. This summer is a perfect time to list soccer cards because of the World Cup.

My V145’s? I had 18 free submisisons and several of the cards I had were already PSA. I also like the registry.

That being said, after seeing how they slabbed them I regret it.

Last edited by Anish; 05-26-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Quote:

Not to mention a PSA 10 Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay. That's going to be a interesting auction to watch.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
Not to mention a PSA 10 Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay. That's going to be a interesting auction to watch.
Would be even more fun to bid

Whatever the Pele’s go for will be a bargain IMO.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question, but what is this Pele card currently up for auction through PWCC? I apologize for "outing" a current auction, but not much falls through the cracks at PWCC.

The listing is not my card, but I was just curious about what it is -- a 1966 "Epoca" card. I have never seen it before, and could not find any information online about the card. Either way, it does not look like it is a high-dollar card. I was just wondering how rare it is, where it is from, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Epoca-...17920?var=null

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-17-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this question, but what is this Pele card currently up for auction through PWCC? I apologize for "outing" a current auction, but not much falls through the cracks at PWCC.

The listing is not my card, but I was just curious about what it is -- a 1966 "Epoca" card. I have never seen it before, and could not find any information online about the card. Either way, it does not look like it is a high-dollar card. I was just wondering how rare it is, where it is from, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Epoca-...17920?var=null
Don’t know anything myself, but perhaps Al does?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Don’t know anything myself, but perhaps Al does?
Thanks for the reply. I was just curious because I could not find anything online about the card. I know a lot can change in the last five seconds of an auction, but I am surprised that a playing era Pele card is at $5.50 right now.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-20-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Did anyone get that 1960s Brazilian sticker book with the Pele and Clay? It was a grand so I was nowhere near it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...