NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Phil Garry

Default 1980's Baseball Rookie Cards & Sets

Well, this is the first time I have ever started a thread in the modern sportscard section. I have recently decided to go back to my childhood days and "re-collect" all of the baseball rookie cards from the '80's, Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck & Score sets. Once I complete that, I might move forward at least into the mid-1990's and then go back as far as the mid 1960's and see how that goes.

In order to collect all rookie cards from each '80's set, the most cost effective way is to buy complete sets and break them up, I know that already. Here is my question, is it better to sell the remaining 90-95% of the cards as near-complete sets or break up the sets and sell the stars individually? For purposes of this discussion, let's assume that grading and gem-mint cards are not part of the equation.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Well, this is the first time I have ever started a thread in the modern sportscard section. I have recently decided to go back to my childhood days and "re-collect" all of the baseball rookie cards from the '80's, Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Upper Deck & Score sets. Once I complete that, I might move forward at least into the mid-1990's and then go back as far as the mid 1960's and see how that goes.

In order to collect all rookie cards from each '80's set, the most cost effective way is to buy complete sets and break them up, I know that already. Here is my question, is it better to sell the remaining 90-95% of the cards as near-complete sets or break up the sets and sell the stars individually? For purposes of this discussion, let's assume that grading and gem-mint cards are not part of the equation.
To me its not worth the money, time and effort,to strip the sets of the rookie cards and trying to dump the remains. I would just go for the rookie cards
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

The most cost effective way might actually be just buying the cards you want. Especially if you're picky about centering and some other condition stuff. Even a set like 83 with lots of rookies usually goes for more than the big rookies in average condition.

And getting rid of 80's commons is a lot of work for very little money.

Steve B
Old 02-14-2014, 05:15 AM
Richard A.

Quote:
...I have recently decided to go back to my childhood days and "re-collect"...
This is what my 2014 collecting is shaping up to be as well. Over Christmas I stumbled across a bin with all my old Blue Jays cards (dumped everything else years ago) and have decided to organize 'em into binders and slowly go about filling it what's missing by buying, but also by trading like the old days. I've been bouncing around the Internet in search of other team collectors in support of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
This is what I'd be afraid of. But you might be able to increase your success by selling stuff off in team sets / lots. Depending on how much time you have, it might even be worth trying to line up some interested parties *before* you start set buying. Just a thought.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
This is what my 2014 collecting is shaping up to be as well. Over Christmas I stumbled across a bin with all my old Blue Jays cards (dumped everything else years ago) and have decided to organize 'em into binders and slowly go about filling it what's missing by buying, but also by trading like the old days. I've been bouncing around the Internet in search of other team collectors in support of that.

Regards,

Richard.
I'm in the same boat. For some reason, restarting my old Bo collection just decided to stick this year. Having hell of a lot of fun so far. And spending a hell of a lot less than I did in the early 90's...
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Todd

I did the same thing not too long ago. I decided to include the 1970's as well - so I eventually picked up every key rookie card from 1970-1999 and loved every bit of it. I left out O-Pee-Chee (except 1991 Chipper Jones), errors, Tiffany/Glossy's. I went with NM+ for the 70's and NM-MT+ for the rest. Bought some graded - then cracked out.

It got a little pricey - mainly due to the 1970's and a few select 1980's cards. I even bought duplicates of most of them (which is probably another reason why it was pricey - lol.)

I really don't collect sets - so I wasn't concerned with them. The only sets I did pick up were my birth-year (1978) and 1984 Donruss (a steal!)

Best of luck!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Default Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The most cost effective way might actually be just buying the cards you want. Especially if you're picky about centering and some other condition stuff. Even a set like 83 with lots of rookies usually goes for more than the big rookies in average condition.

Steve B
Hi Phil,

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am not sure I would want to be getting rid of a bunch of commons.

BTW, your old '51 Wheaties Premium Mantle is one of my favorite cards....and it is in good hands.

Z Wheat
Old 02-15-2014, 05:06 AM
Phil Garry

Thanks for all of the tips, guys.

Since I would like to collect ALL rookies from each '80's set, I still think that buying complete sets is the way to go. With very few card shows these days, buying cards online necessitates shipping charges and that alone will not make it worthwhile to go after individual rookie cards.

Since it appears tough to get much money back by selling the remaining cards, it sounds like I would be better off keeping the complete sets. I am going to put them in albums and keep them complete, as is. All factory sets will be opened as well as I can't enjoy the cards if they are in sealed bricks. I am not doing this for the investment potential anyway.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Thanks for all of the tips, guys.

Since I would like to collect ALL rookies from each '80's set, I still think that buying complete sets is the way to go. With very few card shows these days, buying cards online necessitates shipping charges and that alone will not make it worthwhile to go after individual rookie cards.

Since it appears tough to get much money back by selling the remaining cards, it sounds like I would be better off keeping the complete sets. I am going to put them in albums and keep them complete, as is. All factory sets will be opened as well as I can't enjoy the cards if they are in sealed bricks. I am not doing this for the investment potential anyway.
OK. It's the ALL rookies that just buying the sets makes some sense for.. If it were key rookies only, then I'd agree with just buying 'em individually. Just a hunch, but I've got a feeling you may end up a Topps Completionist by the end of this.. I started that way, at one point, just wanting all topps complete sets from my birthyear-current, but wound up wanting to go back further. Bailed, once the HOF rookie bug hit though. May end up going back to it someday. Just another thing to sidetrack me from HOF rookies for a bit, just like the BO Jacksons, the Heisman winner rookies, multi-sport athlete rookies, yearly fantasy team signed rookies, Indians rookies, HOF autos, so on and so on.. I think I have ADD when it comes to cards...
Old 02-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Phil Garry

Dave:

It's great to continue corresponding with you after our many discussions on the pre-war side revolving around BB HOF RC's. Nice to see a lot of diversity on your end. I have not only branched into the more modern rookie cards realm but have also started to assemble a modest collection of ice cream collectibles, primarily Baskin Robbins, Dairy Queen, Carvel & Howard Johnson's. That has been a lot of fun as well over the past couple of years and with many items under $20, not nearly as expensive as the BB HOF RC thing.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-15-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM

that's quite an undertaking and it seems like you got the right plan. It'll get rough once you get into the 90's. How are you planning to deal with regional sets? Count them as rookies or ignore and focus on the major brands? Ignoring minor league issues?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Phil Garry

For now, I am going to stick to only major sets: Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Score, Upper Deck, Sportflics, etc. No minor league sets at this time.

Once I complete the 80's run, I will probably go back to the mid-late 70's and work on those first before the 90's. Prior to 1976, the sets start getting expensive so I may just go after the Rookies that I want individually, roughly 8 - 12 per set going back to the late 60's - early 70's. That's as far back as I will go as I am only interested in those Rookies that I saw play when I was a kid growing up in the mid-70's.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-17-2014 at 12:18 PM.