NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default Pollard needs to go.

One helmet on helmet hit appropriately flagged.
Second one of the game - Knocks the other player out. No flag at all. Refs go with the fumble.
And totally miss the opposing coach coming out nearly to the pile at the numbers, well into the field of play before they had finished digging out the pileup to make the call on who recovered. Again no flag.

Pollard has a history of causing injuries.
Bradys knee.
Welkers Knee.
Gronkowskis ankle.
And that's just against one team, I'd bet there are others.

I'm all for hard hitting, but the stuff he pulls is well beyond that. Far enough that he should get a long suspension in not an outright ban.

Steve B
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Rob G.

I respectfully disagree w/your view on the 2nd helmet to helmet. RB Ridley lowered his head. When a person running w/the ball lowers his head and leads w/his head, he's leaving himself open to get hit in the head. Thats the way the rule is written AND I agree with it.

To be honest, I don't even agree with the calls where they flag the defender for hitting a "defenseless" receiver. If the receiver doesn't want to get hit, don't go for the ball. Sure, if the defender THEN hits him, he's defenseless. But if the receiver is going for the ball, what should the defender do? Wait until the receiver catches it, gets two feet on the ground, and can then run away from the defender? If you don't want to get hit, dont' catch the ball. If you are trying to catch the ball, you aren't defenseless.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
One helmet on helmet hit appropriately flagged.
Second one of the game - Knocks the other player out. No flag at all. Refs go with the fumble.
And totally miss the opposing coach coming out nearly to the pile at the numbers, well into the field of play before they had finished digging out the pileup to make the call on who recovered. Again no flag.

Pollard has a history of causing injuries.
Bradys knee.
Welkers Knee.
Gronkowskis ankle.
And that's just against one team, I'd bet there are others.

I'm all for hard hitting, but the stuff he pulls is well beyond that. Far enough that he should get a long suspension in not an outright ban.

Steve B
Ridley lowered his head. Look at the highlights of the other injuries, nothing but clean tackles that lead to unfortunate injuries.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 AM
Rob G.

and the one flag they DID call "unecessary roughness" i believe was on ray lewis for a hit he put on TE Hernandez. As Hernandez caught the ball, he turned and lowered his head. Lewis didn't know he was going to lower his head and ended up making helmet to helmet contact. I don't know if they called that a defenseless receiver or H2H, but the defense was flagged nonetheless.

Now here is the SAME PLAY except the TE doesn't lower his head after the catch, but he is still lit up. Yet no flag.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...2728--nfl.html

In both cases I don't think there should have been a flag, but in one case there was. SAME PLAYS except in one the TE lowers his head / leads with his head.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

Pollard made a hit on Welker that was flagged, but called on another player who was making a clean tackle at the same time.

I can't find a decent slow motion replay that shows the whole play. Pollard drops very low driving towards Ridley who's already falling having been tripped up by another defender.

The rules are pretty clear on the head to head contact. Ridley didn't qualify as a defenseless player, but the hit was still illegal. Even as an unintentional hit It should have been flagged. Plenty of unintentional hits like that get flagged every week.

From http://static.nfl.com/static/content...er_Conduct.pdf

Article 6: Unnecessary Roughness. There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited
to:
(a) Using the foot or any part of the leg to strike an opponent with a whipping motion;
(b) contacting a runner when he is out of bounds;
Note: Defensive players must make an effort to avoid contact. Players on defense are responsible for knowing when a runner
has crossed the boundary line, except in doubtful cases where he might step on a boundary line and continue parallel with
it.
(c) a player of the receiving team who has gone out of bounds contacting a kicking team player out of bounds. If this
occurs on a kick from scrimmage, post-possession rules will apply if appropriate (9-5-1);
(d) running, diving into, or throwing the body against or on a runner who has fallen or slipped to the ground untouched
and has made no attempt to advance, either before or after the ball is dead, or throwing the runner to the ground after
the ball is dead;
(e) unnecessarily running, diving into, cutting, or throwing the body against or on a player who (i) is out of the play or (ii)
should not have reasonably anticipated such contact by an opponent, before or after the ball is dead;
(f) if an offensive player’s block (legal or illegal) is followed by the blocker rolling up on the back of the leg(s) of a
defender, including in close-line play.
(g) a kicker/punter, who is standing still or fading backwards after the ball has been kicked, is out of the play and must
not be unnecessarily contacted by the receiving team through the end of the play or until he assumes a distinctly
defensive position;
(h) using any part of a player’s helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear,
or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily;

(i) grabbing a helmet opening of an opponent and forcibly twisting, turning, or pulling his head;
(j) illegally contacting the knee of the snapper with the helmet during a Field Goal Attempt or Try Kick;
Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the
official(s) to be flagrant. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic First Down.
Note: When in question about a roughness call or potentially dangerous tactics, the covering official(s) should always call
unnecessary roughness.

Harbaugh coming out almost to the numbers also was ignored.
From another section
Article 4 All team personnel must observe the zone restrictions applicable to the bench area and the border rimming the
playing field. The only persons permitted within the solid six-foot white border (1-1) while play is in progress on the field
are game officials. For reasons involving the safety of participating players whose actions may carry them out of bounds,
officials’ unobstructed coverage of the game, and spectators’ sightlines to the field, the border rules must be observed by
all coaches and players in the bench area. Violators are subject to penalty by the officials.

I know in practice coaches are often in the border, and if they're a couple steps into the field when calling a timeout or otherwise gatting an officials attention it's let slide. Bit being almost out to the numbers while the play is still being sorted out is way too far.

Steve B
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM

If every rule in the NFL was 100% enforced there would be a 100 penalties and 6 hour games every week. IMHO Pollard got the upper hand of a hard nosed football play. Interestingly, Pollard just accused Brady of "dirty play" during the first half. Admittedly, I am a Pollard fan.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 01-21-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Based on the highlighted rules above, you'd think that offense players would get flagged for this occasionally. Every running back should get penalized for this on every play.