NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Richard Simon

Default For METS Fans

Nice to have a son at ESPN to get me quick news,,
Cespedes signs with Mets for 4 yrs at $110 million
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Great news, now the pitching has to be healthy.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Great news. I still think we need an upgrade behind the plate. D'Arno is strictly second tier, and always hurt. I think the pitchers preferred anyone but him last year, though of course no one would say that publicly. And he couldn't throw me out 50% of the time.

Bruce is a dilemma. Clearly odd man out, but I just think he's got a few great seasons left in him. I might take a chance and trade Grandy.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Great news. I still think we need an upgrade behind the plate. D'Arno is strictly second tier, and always hurt. I think the pitchers preferred anyone but him last year, though of course no one would say that publicly. And he couldn't throw me out 50% of the time.

Bruce is a dilemma. Clearly odd man out, but I just think he's got a few great seasons left in him. I might take a chance and trade Grandy.
While Grandy had a rough year on the field last year, he's probably a huge asset in the clubhouse. He gels with the team, and clearly enjoys being a Met. That being said, I'm biased because my son adores him, and he's top notch with the kids.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Great news, now the pitching has to be healthy.

I wonder if anyone remembers Paul Wilson.

Have we see this movie before?

m

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I wonder if anyone remembers Paul Wilson.

Have we see this movie before?

m
Not sure what you're saying, because its the same team, they will end up like Paul Wilson? With the exception of Matz, all of the Mets young starters have already had more success than Paul Wilson.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I couldn't agree more!

I think that most fans have given up on d'Arnoud by now, but for some unknown reason management/ownership hasn't. And I don't understand why!!!!

The Tampa Bay Rays recently signed Wilson Ramos to a two-year deal for $12.5 million ($6.25 million per year). IMO that was a huge bargain. Why weren't the Mets interested in him??? (It's a rhetorical question.)

Lastly...... David Wright. I love David Wright. He always says the right thing. He's very charitable with his time and money. He was a great choice for team captain.
But having said all of that...... It's time for David to retire - gracefully; before he embarrasses himself. He no longer has the physical skills necessary to be anything like the David Wright of old.
Do the Mets have a back-up plan (other than the aging Jose Reyes and "Weeping" Wilmer Flores) for when (not if) Wright goes on the D.L.?

It's frustrating to me, because I know that with Cespedes and the young stud pitching staff, the Mets are 2-3 players away from returning to the World Series.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 12-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Not sure what you're saying, because its the same team, they will end up like Paul Wilson? With the exception of Matz, all of the Mets young starters have already had more success than Paul Wilson.

I was comparing the anticipation and buildup for this new group and the fact that they have all suffered injuries already.

The Mets Top-10 Baseball America Prospects prior to the 1995 season included:

1.) Bill Pulsipher (missed 1996 with injury)
2.) Paul Wilson (missed 1999 with injury)
5.) Jason Isringhausen (missed 1998 with injury)

These three were highly touted in those days - even though, as you said, they never accomplished nearly as much at the Major League level as the current crop.

It just seems like the two groups are connected through hype or injury or both.

One can only hope that the current group will recover from their various injuries...the first group was never the same (though Isringhausen became a decent closer for a few years).

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente