NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default Network 54 National Dinner for 2006

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
Here we go again. I don't think it's too early to get this thing booked. This year the Net54 Dinner is going to be on Friday evening, at least that is the thought right now. There are other functions going on on Thursday, Wednesday is too soon, and some folks might be leaving on Saturday. I need some help in getting the right venue. I know there are a lot of board members from the Anaheim area so I am pleading for some responses/help in coordinating it. Last year went fine, we had about 50-52 folks, and except for the noise level (it was at a loud sports bar), it was good. This year I want to pick a place that is much more quiet. The reason for getting together is not to listen to music but to talk about crap in person, that we can only do once a year. I also liked the buffet as everyone got to have something they liked. My guess is we need a place for 40-70 folks....If anyone has connections at a very close hotel, to get a conference room, that could work. I am not so worried about the food (heck, Domino's can deliver for all I care) as I am the venue. Beer is a must too . It does need to be within about 3-5 miles of the National, imo..Once we get it booked then later on I will get RSVP's and they will have a place for sure..anyone else wanting to come to it will be as last year, on stand by (and everyone did get to come that wanted too...though it was a little tight)..thoughts....

Old 04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

A sports bar isn't likely to be a good venue for hearing.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

With the Padres and Angels out of town that week and the Dodgers off Thur., Friday is the only night that baseball will be played in LA. Some people might like to see a game while in town, and going to the weekend day games would mean missing time at the National.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I agree with Adam, the sports bar last year was a little loud and had bad lighting. Perfect for a sports bar but not really for looking and a buddies cards. I know the Hilton is pretty much the closest to the convention center, where I and many others will be staying, I would see if they have some kind of room you could rent out for an evening.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

There's a really good (in my opinion) Italian restaurant within a couple of miles of the convention center. It's called Buca de Beppo. It's actually a chain, so some of you may have one near you. Each of their dishes is designed to feed about 8 people, so it's a good place for large groups to go.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately the Dinner is really going to need to be on Friday night this year. No need rehashing the noise level of last year. I had to scream into whomevers ear I was speaking with. Not good. Keep the suggestions coming....

Old 04-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Bucca is great, but there may be a problem with getting reservations for 50+ people on a Friday night. They are going to be more worried about table turnover than hosting a large group people. Their food set is good for this type of get togeher. Not quiet as good as a regular sit down restaurant, but much better than a buffet.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Delivered Pizza and beer in a small conference room at a hotel.
The Hilton should be able to hook us up.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Bucca often has an area set aside for large parties. It is "family style" Italian, and perfect for this kind of dinner and the food is very good. We had a Christmas employee dinner for about 25-30 people in the San Fernando Valley at one of their locations and it worked out great. Whoever is down in SoCal might want to give them a call (I live in Texas now).

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

So is this place fairly quiet....not like a morgue or something but quiet enough to hold a conversation?

Old 04-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

We have a Bucca here in Columbus, its not bad. Personally I would go with Richard's suggestion but Bucca is not a bad place at all and they do hold large parties but i'm not sure if they could do a party of 50+ people.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I don't know about the Bucca in Anaheim, but the Bucca in Seattle is just as loud as most sports bars. . .

Old 04-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

The one here in Phoenix/Peoria is nice and not too loud. The building is designed in such a way where you could get pretty much your own room or separate area. I assume they are not vastly different elsewhere, other than perhaps the original one in Minnesota.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Leon, there's a Dave and Busters just a mile or so down the street (at the Block) in Orange. The main rooms are kind of noisy but you can get closed off rooms to accomodate a big group.

I'm in Northern California but maybe someone down there can check it out in a little more detail. Plenty of beer and food selections too.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

The last Dave and Busters I went to, a couple of weeks ago (with my 4 year old) was in Frisco, Tx. It was perhaps the loudest place that I have ever been to. Being there made me contemplate committing suicide. I have also been to one in the neighborhood of the National. It wasn't too much quieter. If the ability to carry on a conversation at somewhat less than a Sam Kennison-like constant scream is important, I would suggest that we look somewhere else.

Kenny Cole

Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Dave and Busters is loud...Bucca in Anaheim is pretty good. I think a room at the hotel with beer and pizza is best. This way, people can feel comfortable coming and going, not having to split checks, bringing cards and showing them off, and being able to talk. The Hilton in Anaheim has several room and has been very accomodating in the past. Just my input.

Joshua

Old 04-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

As much as I would like to be there and hang out with everyone. I probally will be on a flight coming home for the weekend. Any other night will work fine for me. I'm surprised that more people are not flying out on Friday as well? JC

Old 04-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

I will make some calls in the next few days to the local hotels and see what a room costs to reserve it...and the other details. Hopefully, if we are eating and drinking it won't be an arm and a leg. Dave and Busters might have individual rooms but they are quite loud otherwise, imo. Bucca's can still be an option but I do think a private room would be best...just don't know if we can get one within the parameters of what we need. The Dinner will be on Friday night though... That's really the day that the most folks can attend it. Sorry Jc, you need to stay an extra day and hoot and holler with us...

Old 04-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator

I called the Anaheim Hilton, where I too will be staying, and have a request in for a conference room. The charge for the room is about $400. If we have 50 folks that is only $8 each so hopefully that won't be a show stopper. ALL of the conference rooms are booked right now but they are calling to see if they can make one available. I was told there is possibly one available but it would be right below another one, that is entertaining a religous convention. I told them that if they would just make beer available we would be on our best behavior..... . Beer and food are a must.....and I told them music isn't necessary....so we'll see....I'll make a management decision and say this will be our first choice, if possible....as it's exactly what we need to have a good hoot 'n holler session.....thoughts ?? ....

Old 04-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Leon- You do what you think is best. As far as I am concerned you have the green light. The plans, preparations and experience last year were great and carried off well. Music is fine but I'd rather hear the conversation of my fellow collectors on this board. I also think that going to a game is great but it is a small price to pay to attend Saturday's game and go to the dinner on Friday night. I live in a vacuum of sports, other than college sports, with only the Strangers and Royals nearby and they are long road trips, still I had as much fun last year just meeting everyone and talking with them as I did going to Wrigley for the first time.
You decide, we're with ya.
Tbob

Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Just tell the religious convention that "Hell is underneath them".

Old 04-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

The Hilton folks called back and said they have an area that can be used. It's a club/bar that can be made private and it's in the hotel. I don't think they use it anymore but it's set up for exactly what we need. The cost of that venue would be the same, at most, as the other rooms...which are $400. They have an option for for a fajita bar, and that with some horse duvors will be about $30-$35 a person...room included. There will be a cash bar too....I am still getting some other details, like the bartender is about $150 for the night, etc.....but how does this sound so far?

Old 04-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Sounds good to me.....food, drink, cards, and friends...should be fun.

Joshua

Old 04-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

whores d'ovaries?

Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob S

I wish the National Net 54 dinner was not on the west coast. I'm sure many of us live in the Northeast Megalopolis...LOL..., and I would find even Chicago to be better as a location than Calif.

Just my thoughts on this. I'd love to meet up with the giants on the board.

Bob

Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Leon,
That sounds great.
JimB

Old 04-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Bob, it travels with the National. It was in Chicago last year. I'm sure the East Coast will end up getting it soon.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Someone was kind enough to provide the sites for the next 4 Nationals, would it be possible to list them again?