NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Q: Which Would You Have Bought?

I purchased one of these cards; I had a bid on the other one - twice as much as the one I purchased:

RJ PEDRO MONTREAL AUTOs.jpg

PEDRO RJ MADDUX AUTO.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-13-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:18 PM
Wayne Walker

They are both excellent cards, but I greatly prefer on-card autographs to stickers. Therefore, I would prefer the top card. I really don't care about the gem 10 grade, just think it is aesthetically much more pleasing than the bottom card.

But again, they are both sweet cards.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 11-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Mike Navarro

No idea which one costs more, but if I had purchased one of them, it would have been the top one based on aesthetic reasons to me. But some things I enjoy aesthetically, others don't, so truly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:55 PM

Wayne; Mike - You were right. The first one is a whole lot 'purdier' - and besides that it displays both pitchers in their Expos uniforms - which kind of lends the story that they came from the same team (though Pedro started with the Dodgers) and would up in the same place (Cooperstown) on the same stage in the same year - In spite of the fact that they actual came from thousands of miles away from each other (California - Dominican Republic) and inhabit totally different body types.

I had what I thought was a very high MAX BID on that card, but someone else went $10 higher...now I'm kicking myself for not going a little higher, but I had set what was my limit and settled for the second card...not as attractive and not graded but limited to 10 copies instead of 25, and throw in a third HOF pitchers' signature.

I counsel myself by calling this a 'push'.

rjpm

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-14-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 AM
Steve Zarelli

Interesting choice!

I agree the top card is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of signature contrast and graphic design. However, the flip side is the bottom card has Johnson and Martinez pictured in more desirable team uniforms, i.e., Red Sox and Mariners vs. Expos.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Interesting choice!

I agree the top card is more aesthetically pleasing in terms of signature contrast and graphic design. However, the flip side is the bottom card has Johnson and Martinez pictured in more desirable team uniforms, i.e., Red Sox and Mariners vs. Expos.

I don't know about that Steve...there seems to be a large Canadian contingent that feels otherwise.

I get the feeling that those bygone days of the Montreal Expos are both revered and greatly missed by their fan base.

I'm sure, however, the players don't miss that stadium (just ask Andre). As the previous home of the Olympics, Turner Field was much, much better than that place.

(personally, I'd rather have two teams in Canada than any in Florida)

Did I point out that the second card ALSO has Greg Maddux auto?

mtl

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-15-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Bob Davies

Hmmm.... for me, an easy choice. And it is "purdier"
Old 11-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I don't know about that Steve...there seems to be a large Canadian contingent that feels otherwise.

I get the feeling that not only are those bygone days of the Montreal Expos are both revered and greatly missed by their fan base.

I'm sure, however, they do not miss that stadium. As the previous home of the Olympics, Turner Field was much, much better than that place...just as Andre Dawson.

(personally, I'd rather have two teams in Canada than any in Florida)

Did I point out that the second card ALSO has Greg Maddux auto?

mtl
I think Turner Field worked because it only used part of the Olympic stadium.

I went to a baseball game and some of the track and field when I went in 96. (Track cycling, Basketball, and Field Hockey too)
I'd have to get the ticket stubs out, but baseball and track were probably on the same day. An interesting trivia thing, attending an event in 1 1/2 major league stadiums on the same day. Someday I'll have to find a way to get to Fenway and Nickerson on the same day.

That makes me wonder how many places that's possible?
Of course NY you can get to two full stadiums on the same day, but how many partial old stadiums are there? The other Boston stadiums are all long gone, but there are some fields near where the south end grounds were.

Tough choice between the two cards. The first is better looking, so If all things were equal I'd probably go for that one.

Steve B
Old 11-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Andy Sargent

Default Top One

Definitely the top one, mainly due to aesthetics. The signatures are much nicer, and the card is less "crammed". As well, not because I am from Canada either, I would have preferred to have them in the Expos uniform. Makes think of what might have been in 1994 !!! Although Randy Johnson was already gone by then. He has such an awesome signature.