NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2015, 06:16 PM
Jon Canfield

Default Drum Tobacco Pouch Currently For Sale on eBay

In the event any board member is bidding on the Drum tobacco pouch currently for sale on eBay, please note that despite the auction description which states "[t]he offered pouch is guarantees [sic] unopened and should contain a card from the era though the inconsistent packing tendencies of the day do not guarantee any specifics (some packs/pouches have been known to include multiple cards)", the pouch will not contain a card. I did notify PWCC about the misleading auction description over the weekend, and I received a response email from them simply saying that they are not guaranteeing that a card is inside (although I'd argue their description certainly implies that a card (or potentially multiple cards) will be inside). Regardless, given that bidding is already over $2k, I'm fairly certain some bidders think that cards were packaged with Drum tobacco pouches, and that is simply not the case. Cards would have been packaged with slide and shell cigarette boxes only. I hope that PWCC corrects their description before the auction ends in the next 8 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-Drum-To...item5d5cb0f606

Edited to add:

For those interested, Drum-backed cards would have been packaged in slide and shell boxes such as the following:

Last edited by canjond; 08-31-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

"A bit misleading" was my same thought on this Old Judge pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1890-Old-Jud...item5d5cb0d098

The bidding is already well beyond what I'd expect. There is no chance of a baseball card in that pack.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-31-2015, 06:39 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Since they are saying these contained cards, except when a "packaging error" occurred, then it is more than just misleading.

Thanks for showing the box.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:42 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
"A bit misleading" was my same thought on this Old Judge pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1890-Old-Jud...item5d5cb0d098

The bidding is already well beyond what I'd expect. There is no chance of a baseball card in that pack.
Joe - I didn't even notice that one, and I agree completely. Both packs are nice, but just companion pieces. Cards simply were not packaged with the tobacco packs. Hopefully PWCC does the right thing here.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

I saw this fraud yesterday when PWCC opened their auction.

The 1890 OJ pack.....

"...a very exciting piece which should contain a card within it's packaging."

Drum pouch.....

"The offered pouch is guarantees unopened and should contain a card from the era......."

Deceiving their customers.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Always thought he was a good seller, surprized by this compleat lie of a discription
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Agree with you guys about the Old Judge tobacco pack. However, it should be noted that there were Old Judge cards which somehow came with loose tobacco. This very rare card is the size of a large Gypsy Queen and was bigger than the pack being sold on EBay (I have one that matches the one being sold, also unopened).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.8 KB, 474 views)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 AM
PWCC Marketplace

Default PWCC - thank you

Thanks for all the fact checking done on this thread. We have ended the item in question as we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be considering these facts.

Threads like this are what make the message boards great. Please keep it up and don't hesitate to reach out to us directly regarding our auctions.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Eric
Eric

Default doing the right thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Huigens View Post
Thanks for all the fact checking done on this thread. We have ended the item in question as we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be considering these facts.

Threads like this are what make the message boards great. Please keep it up and don't hesitate to reach out to us directly regarding our auctions.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com
Thanks for doing the right thing Brent. And agreed, this is what makes the message boards great
Old 09-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Jon Canfield

Good news and glad to see PWCC step up and make the correct changes.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Pau.l C

[QUOTE=Brent Huigens;1448227]Thanks for all the fact checking done on this thread. We have ended the item in question as we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be considering these facts.

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com[/QUOTE

Way to go !!
Good luck with the rest of the auction
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Ryan

Classy! You've got a fan and customer here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Huigens View Post

Brent Huigens
PWCC Auctions, LLC
brent@pwccauctions.com
Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocarroll View Post
Classy! You've got a fan and customer here!
Agreed. Less than a day after this thread was started the item in question was pulled. I'd like to think any major ebay seller or auction house would do the same, but I wonder how many would have in a similar situation.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Agreed. Less than a day after this thread was started the item in question was pulled. I'd like to think any major ebay seller or auction house would do the same, but I wonder how many would have in a similar situation.
When PWCC was confronted directly by a well-known expert on the fraudulent listing of the Drum pouch, PWCC buried its head in the sand. When confronted publicly, another fraudulent listing popped up and the vultures were circling -- PWCC quickly jumped on and pulled the item, stating that "we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be" -- when in fact the description was actually misleading.

This is called self-preservation, not honest service. As for the reactions to Brent's delayed response, all I can say is that somewhere Bill Mastro is laughing his ass off.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
When PWCC was confronted directly by a well-known expert on the fraudulent listing of the Drum pouch, PWCC buried its head in the sand. When confronted publicly, another fraudulent listing popped up and the vultures were circling -- PWCC quickly jumped on and pulled the item, stating that "we agree the language in the description is not as direct as it should be" -- when in fact the description was actually misleading.

This is called self-preservation, not honest service. As for the reactions to Brent's delayed response, all I can say is that somewhere Bill Mastro is laughing his ass off.
Even if it took a couple of days from when he was first notified, at least the right decision was made. He could have just amended the description or left it up as it was.

Perhaps he was doing his own research after the well known expert warned him about the listing. I don't sell items such as this, but if I had this up I'm sure I would want to verify one expert's opinion before deciding to end an auction that already had bids over 2k.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Jeff is exactly right. Ideally, research should have been done before the packs were listed on EBay and the issue never would have come up. At the least, when Jon contacted the seller the auctions should have been taken down and corrected. Instead, as Jeff points out, the auctions only came down when they were publically exposed.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Jeff is exactly right. Ideally, research should have been done before the packs were listed on EBay and the issue never would have come up. At the least, when Jon contacted the seller the auctions should have been taken down and corrected. Instead, as Jeff points out, the auctions only came down when they were publically exposed.
Perhaps the sun was in his eyes. Perhaps the dog ate his homework. Perhaps the average collector is just a moron, begging to be fleeced by fraudsters?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

When trapped plead innocence.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:36 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
FYI, the Old Judge pack is still an active listing. Only the Drum pouch was taken down.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

"If you're not -------- you're not trying" - Jim Rome, among millions
...whatever I want
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
FYI, the Old Judge pack is still an active listing. Only the Drum pouch was taken down.
So much for doing the right thing.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Val Kehl

Jeff called PWCC's action self-preservation. I call it damage control. Same difference, as the old expression goes.