NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default I need your opinion...

Posted By: Zach Smith

I bought this T206 Bresnahan at a shop mixed in w/ a few others. Something about it keeps me wondering if it's real or fake. I think I've almost convinced myself that it's got to be a fake. I've looked it over several times, compared it to others, etc. There's just something about it that makes me wonder... I thought maybe some of the more educated collectors in this forum could take a look. I would appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Looks just fine to me, as far as authenticity goes. Does it measure up ok?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

Also looks real to me. Check out the size. Rob

Old 02-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator

1 7/16" x 2 5/8" on the nose... The main thing that bothers me is how bright it is. The white border is so bright I had to put that black background, that you seen in the picture, behind it just so you could see where the border ended and the background began. To me, other than that top left corner, it looks brand new... not like it's almost 100 years old.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Upon close comparison with the Bresnahan in my set, I'd say
it is real. Most "fakes" of T206's that I've seen have Sweet
Caporal or Piedmont backs which in many cases do not even
conform to the actual Series the card was originally printed
in.

This Sovereign 150 series is consistent with Bresnahan's
portrait card.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Zach,
The card looks real to me, but the upper left corner does loom a little funny. Does the spot look like a printing mistake or does it look altered?
Is that a photo or a scan? Sometimes photos distort the borders and make some cards appear thinner side to side than they really are. The image is especially nice, as Bresnahan usually has extra red on the face and uniform.

Here is one of mine to compare. Be well Brian

PS My scanner stinks.........

Old 02-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Well, you guys are making me feel a little better about the authenticity of this card... but, now I'm starting to get a little upset about that top left corner. That would be a grade killer!

Old 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Brian, it doesn't appear to me to be a printing error. If you look at the back of the card, in the same corner you can see a little wear mark there too. It looks almost like somthing rubbed against the front and back of the card in that corner. You can see that even a small bit of that corner is missing. I really have no idea what type of wear would cause the color to lighten like that, though. I'll probably keep this one in the "maybe" column until I finally send it to a grading company. BTW, that's a nice Bresnahan. Looks like it's in a holder... what's it graded?

Old 02-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Zach,
I saw the wear on the back of the left corner, but from the picture the card doesn't look like it has been recolored or erased, so I was guessing it simply had a printing spot. I would send it to SGC and see what they say, but from the scan I'd say your ok. Good luck Brian

PS Mine is an SGC 70, but of course the owner thinks it should grade higher......

Old 02-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: darren

Looks fine.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the looks, everyone. I guess the only thing left to do now is send it to a grading co.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Authentic, maybe trimmed but it doesnt look it. The spot might be where an ink mark was erased?? To me it looks like wherever the card was stored at one time, that corner got damaged by rubbing, or something sticky?? It would be nice if not for that corner, still an attractive card.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator

I know... that corner's a shame isn't it...