NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Default New scan Sun fading vs blue/no yellow variation: new evidence

Hi guys. I picked up a 600 count box of 1977 topps today at the flea market. Nothing special, but this card is very intriguing. As you can see it has green name text on the left that transitions to blue on the right. I do not think half of the card was left out in the sun. The Y on Johnny and o in Oates shows clear transition between blue and green. I am wondering if this lends credence to some of the blue/ no yellow pass variations that are debated on other threads. The catcher sign shows only the faintest hint of a creme hue and the field transitions to an almost black and white appearance. A very cool card and I could not find any others in the group with similar traits although I do plan on checking again. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77oates copy.jpg (17.5 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Econteachert205; 11-27-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:15 AM
Al Richter

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...47#post1752047
Old 11-17-2019, 11:44 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Thanks Al I did see that thread but this card presents with a much more extreme color field difference, with a green field going to black and white and the blue green and I don’t believe Oates is part of that sheet although I could be wrong.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Bump for a new better scan. Still looking for input on this card.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Bump for a new better scan. Still looking for input on this card.
Looks like a printing issue to me. Can you post a pic of it beside a normal card of the same player? I have a little experience in missing color and faded cards. In hand it is really easy to tell the difference.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:47 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Ben, it is absolutely a printing issue where the yellow ink is only present in half the card. I collect print issues as well and this one is interesting because most of the time a color pass miss impacts the whole card not half. If you see a normal 77 Oates the pennant is yellow. This pennant is essentially creme color.

My interest in the card is whether a card can have the appearance of a sun fade but in reality be a print error. The more I think of it though there must be other ways of discerning whether a sun fad or print error is occurring beside just blue lettering vs green.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Ben, it is absolutely a printing issue where the yellow ink is only present in half the card. I collect print issues as well and this one is interesting because most of the time a color pass miss impacts the whole card not half. If you see a normal 77 Oates the pennant is yellow. This pennant is essentially creme color.

My interest in the card is whether a card can have the appearance of a sun fade but in reality be a print error. The more I think of it though there must be other ways of discerning whether a sun fad or print error is occurring beside just blue lettering vs green.
I couldn't find it but a couple years ago I posted close up pics of a real missing yellow card and one sun faded to show how to tell the difference. Once you have seen several of both it becomes very easy to tell the difference. You also have to take into account different years/brands react differently to fading but all the tells are still there, especially with the ones faded with the sun.

Here is a psychedelic Warren Spahn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS.jpg (74.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It appears to be faded to me. Green to Blue fading is easy on these, I have plenty of the 1977 Topps Star Wars cards printed on the same stock as the baseball issue that have faded due to exposure and look the same way. If it was a print issue, one tell to me would be that the other colors, or parts of the card that don't have any of the inks used to make Green, should not be lighter in tone. The roof over the stands growing lighter in tone with the rest of the card seems to me to be a giveaway. Then again, I've grown suspicious of Green to Blue or Red to Orange "printing errors" as these are the most common exposure damage, and just coincidentally also the majority of supposed printing errors.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:47 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Whoa...call me crazy, but I think that's 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson in the background at left!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:46 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It appears to be faded to me. Green to Blue fading is easy on these, I have plenty of the 1977 Topps Star Wars cards printed on the same stock as the baseball issue that have faded due to exposure and look the same way. If it was a print issue, one tell to me would be that the other colors, or parts of the card that don't have any of the inks used to make Green, should not be lighter in tone. The roof over the stands growing lighter in tone with the rest of the card seems to me to be a giveaway. Then again, I've grown suspicious of Green to Blue or Red to Orange "printing errors" as these are the most common exposure damage, and just coincidentally also the majority of supposed printing errors.

Thank you for responding. The reasons I don’t think it is faded is that the blue sky is consistent across the card and the lettering shows signs of decreasing yellow ink, not a hard line of demarcation between green and blue. This is the whole debate I’m having about blue variations and whether some real print errors are being lumped in with fades.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:31 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
red to orange from fading. Do you have any pictures of this? I have never seen this or even heard of it in a Post WWII card. I can't even imagine it is possible.