NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Richard Simon

Default Brady Suspension Overturned

The judge has ruled in favor of Tom Brady.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

So much for that silliness.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The judge has ruled in favor of Tom Brady.
Maybe he "Blew" up the judge ehhhh
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

In my morning grog I thought this thread was started by Richard Serman and almost choked on my coffee.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Brock

Lesson to children, this just proves cheating does win.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Keep cheating Tom. Good example for your children.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

is every lineman who gets away with an illegal hold a cheater?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Default Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post

Really?
Old 09-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Tom Boblitt

Good thing he cheated......Indianapolis would have REALLY been blown out since they scored less points in the first half with deflated balls...............
Old 09-03-2015, 01:52 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Our legal system isn't perfect but Goodell is far from ethical and there was no proof Brady cheated....this from a Bills fan
Old 09-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

This whole saga has reminded me of the scene from Band of Brothers where Sobel tried to court-martial Winters because Winters was 15 minutes late to an inspection that he didn't know the time had been moved (from 10 AM to 9:45). Long story short, Sobel lost his company command and was transferred out of the division, Winters went on to receive several medals, and West Point still studies one of his attacks today, 70 years after the fact.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:15 PM

Knowingly altering the equipment to give yourself an advantage is cheating. That is much different than a lineman being called for a hold on a single play. If you think there's no proof, remember that Brady is the man who holds the football every play he's on the field for.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Knowingly altering the equipment to give yourself an advantage is cheating. That is much different than a lineman being called for a hold on a single play. If you think there's no proof, remember that Brady is the man who holds the football every play he's on the field for.
Did a single referee notice any difference in the game balls that supposedly had been altered to give an advantage? They handle them on every play too.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:39 PM

Oh it's the refs fault Tom cheated. Come on, the texts between him and the equipment manager leave no doubt:

BRADY: "You good Jonny boy?"

"You doing good?"

JASTREMSKI: "Still nervous; so far so good though"

BRADY: "FYI...Dave (Patriots head equipment manager Dave Schoenfeld) will be picking your brain later about it. He's not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it's unrealistic you did it yourself..."

Not to mention the guy destroyed his phone 4 months into an investigation at the precise moment he was asked for his phone.

Last edited by packs; 09-03-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

The judge did not exonerate Brady, rather he admonished the nfl's poor use of discipline not even in keeping with its wide authority under the cba. Brady's legacy was still greatly tarnished in the public and he was put through the legal wringer, I'd say "getting away with it" was less fun than one would imagine.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 09-03-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Dan Paradis

Ok, from a NY Giants fan. If you can't handle your team not winning or simply don't like the Patriots go ahead and continue with these ridiculous comments about how big a deal it was to deflate the footballs.

Did any of you ever look at the list of teams fined for cheating in 2015? How about the many past Super Bowl winners with players fined or suspended for using PED's? How about the Steelers teams from the 70's? I think that any person who's willing to think about this rationally without any bias or jealousy realizes that this was not that big deal.

Do you really believe that there's not a single player on the team you root for who doesn't cheat?

I get it, you're jealous of Tom Brady and the Patriots. Please stop embarrassing yourselves acting like if this happened to your favorite team you would feel the same way.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dan exactly. It's an equipment violation, so de minimis that no referee even noticed any difference in the balls. Spare me the BS about the integrity of the game.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:25 PM

If a player corked their bat you'd be saying they cheated. How is this any different? It's not integrity of the game, it's the integrity of an individual that is at issue. This guy should face consequences for what he did. No one is asking for his head, but it perfectly reasonable that he should be forced to sit out games.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
Ok, from a NY Giants fan. If you can't handle your team not winning or simply don't like the Patriots go ahead and continue with these ridiculous comments about how big a deal it was to deflate the footballs.

Did any of you ever look at the list of teams fined for cheating in 2015? How about the many past Super Bowl winners with players fined or suspended for using PED's? How about the Steelers teams from the 70's? I think that any person who's willing to think about this rationally without any bias or jealousy realizes that this was not that big deal.

Do you really believe that there's not a single player on the team you root for who doesn't cheat?

I get it, you're jealous of Tom Brady and the Patriots. Please stop embarrassing yourselves acting like if this happened to your favorite team you would feel the same way.
+1
Old 09-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Good thing he cheated......Indianapolis would have REALLY been blown out since they scored less points in the first half with deflated balls...............
Awesome
Old 09-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If a player corked their bat you'd be saying they cheated. How is this any different? It's not integrity of the game, it's the integrity of an individual that is at issue. This guy should face consequences for what he did. No one is asking for his head, but it perfectly reasonable that he should be forced to sit out games.
Corked bat is objectively an advantage, no? Inflation or deflation is just a personal preference, as was clear from some QBs preferring them on the high side. And this was so trivial nobody even noticed.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Jeff

Whose balls are deflated now?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Jeff H

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbaker View Post
whose balls are deflated now?
Now that's funny

Last edited by jiw98; 09-03-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:09 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

The people who proclaim Brady a cheater are just bitter.

Unfortunately, Brady's name has been smeared, and people will believe conjecture instead of fact.

The fact that the Patriots have 15 years of solid, winning football has created a jealousy from fans around the country.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Corked bat is objectively an advantage, no? Inflation or deflation is just a personal preference, as was clear from some QBs preferring them on the high side. And this was so trivial nobody even noticed.

Corked bats are more detrimental than helpful. Corking a bat actually causes the ball to travel less distance compared to a solid whole bat. You lose that complete solid core with hollowing a bat. And yes, there is scientific research backing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I agree - all forms of cheating should be allowed in the NFL, regardless of what it is. But then again, if my girlfriend asks me for a glass of apple juice, I give her orange juice and she has the nerve to complain.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Larry P.

Good for Brady.

Justice is served.

This BS has gone far enough.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah what Brady did is a big deal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4419573.html

Old 09-03-2015, 07:57 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The only thing I find objectionable is that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the NFL.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
The only thing I find objectionable is that Roger Goodell is still the commissioner of the NFL.
+1.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Has he done anything right? I mean seriously.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:23 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Has he done anything right? I mean seriously.
He's made the owners hundreds of millions of dollars on his watch.
To his bosses (the owners) that's all that counts.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Kenny Cole

Every time I watch him purse his lips and utter ridiculous platitudes about whatever the issue is, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I absolutely despise him, even beyond Selig, which is saying a lot. But, as Jay mentioned, he is evidently making the owners money and that's where the rubber meets the road.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Every time I watch him purse his lips and utter ridiculous platitudes about whatever the issue is, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I absolutely despise him, even beyond Selig, which is saying a lot. But, as Jay mentioned, he is evidently making the owners money and that's where the rubber meets the road.
If all I knew was their behavior, and wasn't a big sports fan, I would get the two of them mixed up - Goodell has a one point advantage for being able to bullshit better in big settings. Basketball, as sorry as it is as a sport, at least has a decent commissioner.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Kenny Cole

Yeah Silver seems like a pretty decent guy. I could be wrong though. Kind of reminds me of the old quote, attributed to Groucho Marx among various others: "Sincerity is everything. Once you learn to fake that, the world is your oyster." I guess time will tell.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-arr...215731603.html

Old 09-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
that is what is wrong with society. When did cheating become okay? Guess it is okay if you win but not okay if you get caught or lose.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Mike C@.v3

I believe he should at least be fined and maybe suspended two games or both, but not four...that's way excessive IMO. And I don't believe the people that are calling for a suspension, etc., are bitter, but rather just looking for some sort of punishment for Brady for doing something he shouldn't have. If Goodell would bring it down a notch, he could have disciplined Brady without trying to overdo it and be some sort of mighty dictator. I'm glad however, that the judge overtuned the initial ruling and called out Goodell in the process.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Coming to a theater near you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brady.jpg (30.7 KB, 137 views)
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 AM

If inflation or deflation is just a personal preference then why did the league set a rule that mandated the pressure of the football? The guy broke a rule. If you don't want to call it cheating, fine. But we should be able to agree what he did was in violation of league rules and a suspension seems fair to me.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
If inflation or deflation is just a personal preference then why did the league set a rule that mandated the pressure of the football? The guy broke a rule. If you don't want to call it cheating, fine. But we should be able to agree what he did was in violation of league rules and a suspension seems fair to me.
I will say it AGAIN, what rule was he PROVEN to break?? This is the opportune word here: PROVEN in my opinion. The good thing is that here is the US, you are innocent until PROVEN guilty (lawyers chime in please )
Old 09-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:

Even if he did something, of which I've seen no real proof, the league mandate for altering equipment is a fine, not suspension. If you choose to ignore basic facts, well ...... there's no law against jealously and envy of Brady's and the Patriots' success.

The real travesty here is the Goodell kangaroo court and the NFL's overreach. The judge obviously agreed to the extent of overturning a finding originally held within the framework of a CBA, which I understand they are normally very reluctant to do.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:41 AM

Well the balls were all underinflated on the Patriots side, so isn't that proof that they were deflated?

Equipment managers trade texts between each other talking about Tom's preferred deflation and either deflating or inflating the balls to his liking. Isn't that proof?

Four months into an investigation Tom Brady destroys his cell phone at the precise time that he is asked to turn it over. You can call that circumstantial, but if there's smoke there's fire.

Last edited by packs; 09-04-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Well the balls were all underinflated on the Patriots side, so isn't that proof that they were deflated?

Equipment managers trade texts between each other talking about Tom's preferred deflation and either deflating or inflating the balls to his liking. Isn't that proof?

Four months into an investigation Tom Brady destroys his cell phone at the precise time that he is asked to turn it over. You can call that circumstantial, but if there's smoke there's fire.
Actually, it wasn't ALL of the footballs, only 11 of 12 And some of the Colts were as well.

And if I was married to Giselle Bundchen I assure you I wouldn't turn my cell phone over either

In the end, Roger Goodell is a joke of a commissioner, IMHO.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Ke.n K0hen

No. First, hindsight showed that there was no reliable measurement metric. Second, Brady had been informed by Wells that there was no need for his phone in the investigation. Relevant transcripts were apparently provided. Who knows what sorts of information were on the phone that Brady wouldn't have wanted divulged to the TMZs of the world. Once again, feel free to ignore relevant facts. Fortunately for the sake of basic fairness, the judge did not.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Right I always just decide to destroy my phone out of the blue when the court comes asking for it and the media has done nothing but talk about the damning texts that might be on it should it be turned over to the court.

How do you explain the equipment managers discussing their manipulation of the footballs to Tom's liking? Were they lying? Was that part of an elaborate set up months in the making for the championship game?

Last edited by packs; 09-04-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I will say it AGAIN, what rule was he PROVEN to break?? This is the opportune word here: PROVEN in my opinion. The good thing is that here is the US, you are innocent until PROVEN guilty (lawyers chime in please )
He was given his day in court and found guilty. You can choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore the overwhelming circumstantial evidence, but that doesn't change the fact that he was proven guilty.

Numerous quarterbacks have come out and said that there is no doubt in their minds that he was involved. Yesterday, it was Fran Tarkenton. QBs are the ones who dictate how the balls are prepared. I guess you think that Brady is unique and has nothing to do with how the Pats prepare their balls. If that was the case, then why did he lobby the NFL to change the rule allowing visiting teams to prepare their own balls?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
He was given his day in court and found guilty. You can choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore the overwhelming circumstantial evidence, but that doesn't change the fact that he was proven guilty.

Numerous quarterbacks have come out and said that there is no doubt in their minds that he was involved. Yesterday, it was Fran Tarkenton. QBs are the ones who dictate how the balls are prepared. I guess you think that Brady is unique and has nothing to do with how the Pats prepare their balls. If that was the case, then why did he lobby the NFL to change the rule allowing visiting teams to prepare their own balls?
I'll say it again, he was never PROVEN guilty, it was stated he was guilty. HUGE difference!!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Huge difference when you want there to be one. No difference at all when someone is sentenced to jail time for something they didn't do.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

My kind of restaurant: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...-berman-090315