NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
This country is predicated on the concept if capitalism. If one sells stuff online...like a retailer...or rents part of their home to strangers(air bnb) like a hotel...why should they be immune from paying taxes? Everyone wants their cake and to eat it too!

I have been mostly not buying graded cards until this past weekend...i picked up a few on ebay and am very happy with the prices...even with the taxes.
Well for 250 years people in this country have eaten cake...and there's a difference between being a "retailer" and a guy who sells off his doubles when he gets an upgrade.

So safe to assume, you've been charging sales tax at your garage sales all along?

Last edited by Fballguy; 11-05-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Because
Old 11-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Well for 250 years people in this country have eaten cake...and there's a difference between being a "retailer" and a guy who sells off his doubles when he gets an upgrade.

So safe to assume, you've been charging sales tax at your garage sales all along?
I can only speak of the state I live in. Here you have to declare the sales as income when you do your income taxes. State and local(city) taxes depend on the exact location you are having the garage sale.

As a general rule I have noticed the people who don't pay their taxes are the first to complain when they don't receive the services they pay for.

EDIT: don't pay should be replaced by "complain about and try to not pay".

Last edited by bnorth; 11-05-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Rob

Just to be clear...You have to declare garage sale taxes in the state of South Dakota?

I find that hard to believe. I don't know what the garage sales are like in SD, but typically things sell for less than you paid for them. How is that taxable.

Last edited by Fballguy; 11-05-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I can only speak of the state I live in. Here you have to declare the sales as income when you do your income taxes. State and local(city) taxes depend on the exact location you are having the garage sale.

As a general rule I have noticed the people who don't pay their taxes are the first to complain when they don't receive the services they pay for.
How do you know so many people who don't pay taxes?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Just to be clear...You have to declare garage sale taxes in the state of South Dakota?

I find that hard to believe. How is it income unless you're selling it for a profit?
To be honest I have no idea of the exact details. All I know is what my WAY too honest accountant tells me what I have to do tax wise and that is what I do. I do know that over the last 30 years I have been audited by EVERYONE possible and never once had a problem.

When I was doing the side hustle of selling cards I paid sales tax on them. I have a life long friend that has a never ending rumage(garage) sale and he also pays taxes. We both based out "business" just outside city limits so we only pay(ed) state taxes and not city taxes.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Chuck has anyone ever told you that your positive nature lights up the room like a T206 Honus Wagner.
actually in person it DOES!!!!! Thanks

I'm always positive, happy and full of compliments and jokes, my handsome friend.

When it comes to the card hobby, it is 90% FRAUD from where I'm sitting and I despise the losers it who have ruined it for honest guys as myself. The level of thievery and disgusting fatty mc fat fat slob losers makes me puke, honestly.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 11-05-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I thought I was the only one who noticed that.
you two utes can't understand normal thinking, that's why.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

With all due respect, why are you still here and/or in the hobby then? Go be happy doing something that doesn't make your blood boil every time you think about it. No real hobbyists like what has gone on but we are enduring because we still love it...damn the trimmers and scammers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post

I'm always positive, happy and full of compliments and jokes, my handsome friend.

When it comes to the card hobby, it is 90% FRAUD from where I'm sitting and I despise the losers it who have ruined it for honest guys as myself. The level of thievery and disgusting fatty mc fat fat slob losers makes me puke, honestly.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Josh

I cut back eBay buying drastically with the taxes implemented. They get the seller and and buyer now with fees and or taxes. Now I look more in groups like this one, social media groups or my local shows. It’s always nice to have the card in hand as well. I buy now when ebucks are a available on some bigger vintage pieces. Investing in modern or cheaper cards the shipping and taxes out weigh the price often. It’s a shame to, I’ve personally spent thousands prior to the taxes in my Mantle collection.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Chuck I don’t blame you for being vocal. I’m sure you are a good guy.
Keep on fighting the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post

Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Sean McGinty

Just my 2 cents as an international (living in Japan) based buyer.

I used to buy a lot of cards off of Ebay because there used to be a lot of sellers who would ship overseas at a reasonable rate. There were quite a few who would be willing to sell me 3-4 singles and just put them in an envelope for a couple of bucks, which is about what USPS charges (accounting for fees, etc).

I haven't bought a card off of Ebay in the past 3 years though and its entirely because nobody does that anymore. When an international buyer scrolls through Ebay listings for any given card the few who offer to ship overseas now only do it through eBay's program so it costs like 20-25$ per card. If like me you are mainly buying cards that themselves are under 100$, it just makes no sense to buy on ebay anymore.

So I just gave up.

This wouldn't explain any current slowdown this month since it happened a few years back, but basically ebay has cut sellers off from the entire international market for cards (which, while not huge, is not marginal either - loads of people in Japan and other countries where baseball is popular are interested in collecting American cards).

Last edited by seanofjapan; 11-05-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I am assuming that Ebay and the States have worked out a procedure whereby tax captured in a transaction is redirected to the appropriate State treasury in my case Florida. I would hate to think Ebay is late settling or even skims a bit on the way.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Just my 2 cents as an international (living in Japan) based buyer.

I used to buy a lot of cards off of Ebay because there used to be a lot of sellers who would ship overseas at a reasonable rate. There were quite a few who would be willing to sell me 3-4 singles and just put them in an envelope for a couple of bucks, which is about what USPS charges (accounting for fees, etc).

I haven't bought a card off of Ebay in the past 3 years though and its entirely because nobody does that anymore. When an international buyer scrolls through Ebay listings for any given card the few who offer to ship overseas now only do it through eBay's program so it costs like 20-25$ per card. If like me you are mainly buying cards that themselves are under 100$, it just makes no sense to buy on ebay anymore.

So I just gave up.

This wouldn't explain any current slowdown this month since it happened a few years back, but basically ebay has cut sellers off from the entire international market for cards (which, while not huge, is not marginal either - loads of people in Japan and other countries where baseball is popular are interested in collecting American cards).

That is not Ebay's fault nor the sellers fault. International shipping is EXPENSIVE. And if you want to protect yourself and ship the way Ebay REQUIRES you to do to get that protection (some sort on traceable tracking), then the costs are up there.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
That is not Ebay's fault nor the sellers fault. International shipping is EXPENSIVE. And if you want to protect yourself and ship the way Ebay REQUIRES you to do to get that protection (some sort on traceable tracking), then the costs are up there.
If all international buyers were trustworthy and honest it would be fine. It’s a total risk if you ship without tracking and the seller has no protection or recourse if the buyer says that they didn’t get it.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default International

First-Class Package International Service
Retail Packages
Weight Not Over
(oz.) Price Groups1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1–8 $10.50 $12.25 $14.25 $14.25 $14.25 $14.50 $13.75 $13.50 $14.50

For a while, I was shipping a lot of cheap cards to Canada and other countries using a small photo mailer and paying the non-machinable letter rate or by using a PWE. However, the International mailing rules changed, and now merchandise is not allowed to be sent by first class letter mail, even if you pay the non-machinable rate. So, I stopped offering International service because I didn't want a customer to get hit with a large postage due bill and then I would get hit with a neg on eBay. You also cannot ship merchandise at the flats rate, only documents.

I don't use the Global Shipping Program, so the only option now is First-Class Package International Service. Up to 8 ounces to Canada costs me $10.50, Mexico is $12.25, and other countries range from $13.50 to $14.50. This does include tracking, so it is much safer than a PWE. I have slowly started adding this service option to some of my listings, and I have started getting a few additional sales. For items over 8 ounces, the prices jump up drastically. I can't ship much in an 8 ounce package, especially if the box weighs 3 ounces or a large photo mailer weighs 2 1/2 ounces.

Here is a link to Domestic and International shipping prices.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/notice123.htm#_c341

There is a small discount by printing the shipping labels through eBay/PayPal, and the best thing is that the shipping label also serves as the customs form by entering a little info during the process.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

For a while, I was shipping a lot of cheap cards to Canada and other countries using a small photo mailer and paying the non-machinable letter rate or by using a PWE. However, the International mailing rules changed, and now merchandise is not allowed to be sent by first class letter mail, even if you pay the non-machinable rate. So, I stopped offering International service because I didn't want a customer to get hit with a large postage due bill and then I would get hit with a neg on eBay. You also cannot ship merchandise at the flats rate, only documents.
Thanks, I was wondering what changed that made sellers stop offering to send cards via letter mail overseas!
Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 PM

eBay has become useless to me. There are no longer any viable auctions - I won’t bid with pwcc and Probstein rarely lists a card I want - and every BIN seller lists cards for way more than they are worth. I used to spend a lot of money on eBay. However, this year, I have spent a fraction vs prior years, and I see no end to that trend.

BST, private deals, and auction houses for me.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
eBay has become useless to me. There are no longer any viable auctions - I won’t bid with pwcc and Probstein rarely lists a card I want - and every BIN seller lists cards for way more than they are worth. I used to spend a lot of money on eBay. However, this year, I have spent a fraction vs prior years, and I see no end to that trend.

BST, private deals, and auction houses for me.
I still use eBay for my post war sets that I'm working on. They are all low grade anyway and I can still find good deals on the lower grade stars on eBay. Also my player collections can be added to on eBay. But for higher end stuff, like what you're mostly looking for Ryan, I can see eBay being basically useless these days. The BINs are way too high and I won't buy from PWCC either so the options are really limited. Occasionally there is a card I want with a fair auction still though.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Rob

I'm getting eBay Bucks offers every week. Just got another 10% today. Seems like they're aggressively trying to stimulate sales.

Regarding slow sales...The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are burying listings to frustrate sellers into buying their promoted listings service...but that's too devious to be true.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 AM

Sales tax is a factor to me ..I was fortunate to make a big deal off Ebay due to him having his email on his store page..but other than that only been buying 10 to 20 buck t220s
Old 11-12-2019, 08:45 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I don't sell much. However, as a buyer, I look to buy here on the BST. The sales tax is not Ebay's fault, but it makes already high prices just too much for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 11:12 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-mack View Post
Sales tax is a factor to me ..I was fortunate to make a big deal off Ebay due to him having his email on his store page..but other than that only been buying 10 to 20 buck t220s
Same here... the 10% tax is a killer. I just did something similar on a big purchase. But had to get very creative in sharing emails with the seller. The eBay police make it tough to circumvent their system.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:54 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I will attempt to ask this again...

Isn't ebay over collecting the taxes? If I sell to someone in South Dakota, ebay will collect the sales tax automatically. But if I don't make 200 sales or sell over $100K to South Dakota, does ebay reimburse that/those buyers (since I didn't meet the South Dakota sales tax collection requirements)? I highly doubt it. Or is ebay itself considered the 'retailer' in this case? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Same here... the 10% tax is a killer. I just did something similar on a big purchase. But had to get very creative in sharing emails with the seller. The eBay police make it tough to circumvent their system.
It's been brutal...even with ebay bucks that's just covering the 8.25 here in texas lol needless to say ebay isn't a option unless its cheap
Old 11-12-2019, 01:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-mack View Post
It's been brutal...even with ebay bucks that's just covering the 8.25 here in texas lol needless to say ebay isn't a option unless its cheap
Yes.... eBay has run its course.

Unless it's a raging deal, or a rarity on your want-list, or something you can't live without. So I guess I'll still search it, but not nearly as often as before.

On a separate note (with regards to memorabilia) where has all the good stuff gone? Used to be able to find tons of exciting stuff, but now it's just the same stuff, re-listed over and over again. B O R I N G!

Last edited by perezfan; 11-12-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Jeff P0tter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I will attempt to ask this again...

Isn't ebay over collecting the taxes? If I sell to someone in South Dakota, ebay will collect the sales tax automatically. But if I don't make 200 sales or sell over $100K to South Dakota, does ebay reimburse that/those buyers (since I didn't meet the South Dakota sales tax collection requirements)? I highly doubt it. Or is ebay itself considered the 'retailer' in this case? Inquiring minds want to know.
This is my understanding of it. Ebay is considered a "marketplace facilitator". As of last check about 30 states had passed legislation to say that if an item is sold out of state through a marketplace facilitator (like eBay), then tax is required, regardless of the thresholds that small business hits sales wise into said state. The marketplace facilitator will be way over those thresholds anyways. As a small business owner, if you purchase from me directly (website, facebook, BST, etc) and not through a marketplace facilitator, I am only required to collect sales tax if I am going to cross whatever said threshold of sales that your state has set. So, if you lived in South Dakota and you purchased something directly from my website, I would not charge you tax because I will not have 100K sales or 200 transactions to South Dakota this year (or previous year, if that's how they keep track of it). If I am wrong anyone please feel free to correct me but when I researched it that's how I interpreted the legislation.
ebay: AuthenticTradingPost

http://www.ebay.com/str/jeffpotterautographs
Old 11-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

On a separate note (with regards to memorabilia) where has all the good stuff gone? Used to be able to find tons of exciting stuff, but now it's just the same pedestrian stuff, re-listed over and over again. B O R I N G!
Couldn't agree more...I'm not finding nearly as much as I used to. It's become a wasteland...and a waste of time...and money.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
As a buyer with a pretty varied watch list, I haven’t seen a new fairly priced nice item showing up in 5 or 6 months. Frustrating. Same ridiculously priced items just being relisted month after month after month.
You hit the nail on the head. Price listed for cards on ebay are absolutely nuts. I can see why people who list this stuff have no sales. The golden goose is broken. people are only stupid for so long. Sell at sensible prices and the stuff will sell.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I only list about 25-30 items per month. I try to research the prices sold and list my items about 10% below those averages. If I have OBO on, I'll get even lower offers. If I don't, things usually sit despite my prices being lower than the average sale price. But I'll only let it sit for about a week, then I'll end it and relist it. But yes overall sounds are down.

I've tried to sell on here and BO, but I have had very little luck selling on those 2 platforms as well. Not sure what's going on, but overall selling has been very down for the past few months. Can't really buy here or there either for whatever reason. I'll start a thread, but I won't get any responses.

Oh well, I'll keep trying here, on BO and on ebay. I don't know any other avenues to sell other than those 3 and maybe COMC, although I've never sent a card in to COMC.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 11-12-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I only list about 25-30 items per month. I try to research the prices sold and list my items about 10% below those averages. If I have OBO on, I'll get even lower offers. If I don't, things usually sit despite my prices being lower than the average sale price. But I'll only let it sit for about a week, then I'll end it and relist it. But yes overall sounds are down.

I've tried to sell on here and BO, but I have had very little luck selling on those 2 platforms as well. Not sure what's going on, but overall selling has been very down for the past few months. Can't really buy here or there either for whatever reason. I'll start a thread, but I won't get any responses.

Oh well, I'll keep trying here, on BO and on ebay. I don't know any other avenues to sell other than those 3 and maybe COMC, although I've never sent a card in to COMC.
eBay, Net54, BO, COMC... there are people with inflated prices everywhere and also there are good deals to be found everywhere. Sometimes it just takes a little more effort than other times.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
eBay, Net54, BO, COMC... there are people with inflated prices everywhere and also there are good deals to be found everywhere. Sometimes it just takes a little more effort than other times.
Yeap.

I have sold quite a bit on our BST. Sometimes I put something up and it gets sold quickly. Other times. not a sniff of a buyer. I either priced the item too high or there just wasn't the buyer for it here and now. Patience. Also, I have had stuff for sale on my site with a fixed price, have consigned the same card without remembering to take it off my site. And the card sold for more in auction. One of our members was the buyer, one time, and asked if he could have it at the price on the site. I had to say no. Many times folks think if they are paying a fixed price it's too much....and many times they (or me) are wrong.

Back to the original subject. I just add 10% onto all of my bids on ebay so I am thinking the correct buy price. It does make a difference.

Last edited by Leon; 11-13-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default 2008

was the death knell for collectibles in a GENERAL sense. Coupled with that are changing views of what's important within differing social, economic, and hobby strata as the world evolves or devolves depending on one's view. World keeps changing and so do people's interests.
Add into that FeeBay's lack of attention to the collectibles market and their focus on fixed prices and free shipping - choosing an Amazon type model over what was initially successful in allowing a free market exchange of stuff. I also think eBay and so many auction houses now saturate the market at a time where there is a time lag regarding people who have all this stuff they bought as well as people buying stuff to sell to those people who are now selling what they bought to those same people who no longer want their stuff! Also the fact that people - many people - who bought things when the prices exceeded what their things would bring now - haven't learned, are stubborn, or can't afford to let things go for pennies on the dollar. Their purchases may have been prudent before but when the bottom falls out - they are still on the hook. There's only so much "good stuff" to go around. The specialty niches are the most susceptible to catastrophic descent.....
Just a little stream of consciousness. Likely I could have stopped at the first sentence. I have 50 or so searches (down from over 100) and for sure - I see very little willingness by sellers to actually list things as a true auction which of course will depress final sale prices. I'm also buying less (that depresses the market for sure!) as I get into the over 60 crowd that realizes that all too often stuff is just stuff - and that health and family are what's important. Don't scoff. The 40+ buyer tends to have the disposable income but the over 60 crowd today are the people who were in their 40's when the money was flowing and views of collectibles as a commodity was popular.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Excellent post Henry Moses. If you had a blog I would subscribe.
Would love to hear more about your thoughts on the changing landscape of AH's.

eBay does seem antiquated these days.

Perhaps it's a race for marketing (Advertising) and the right balance of new technology that gets us to the most efficient resale market situation for today.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:30 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

The unreasonable Bin/OBO listings on ebay make the major AH's prices seem reasonable quite frankly. Including the popular PWCC results.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:04 AM
DR
David R@tliff

i've seen a pretty significant decline in sales over the past two months, basically in concert with the roll out of the sales tax. i've still gotten some offers, but definitely not like i did prior to that.

i certainly think the lack of coupons has dented sales as well, there were a ton of buyers that would hold out waiting for those - which seems they are currently still waiting for the next round.

i've also correspondingly reduced my bids to account for the increased cost should i win, which has effectively reduced my buying significantly. the only cards i've won recently are some i need to complete sets.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here's an interesting tidbit with regard to taxes. Last night I was shopping at a non-ebay card site, adding things to my cart, and the tax total kept on rising, so I had to make sure I didn't go overboard with my order and just throw money to the wind. But when I finally reached the checkout page and placed the order via my credit card through PayPal, the tax figure just suddenly went POOF!! None charged. Obviously, this made me very happy, but I am uncertain what the deal is. It's a NY-based company and I'm in California.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.