NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default A great football book - My recommendation & yours?

A few weeks ago I was listening to Mad dog Chris Russo's show on my drive home and he had a writer named Jack Gilden on. He was talking about a book called Collision of Wills, which was about the relationship between Don Shula and Johnny Unitas. It sounded intriguing, so I bought a copy. This weekend I had a chance to read it and I could not put it down. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys reading about vintage football.

Anyone got an idea for my next read?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Murr the Blurr

If you can find it, I highly recommend "About Three Bricks Shy of a Load: The year the Steelers were super but missed the bowl" by Roy Blount Jr. (1974).
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 AM

And Badasses about the Madden-era Raiders
Old 12-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The Breaker Boys by Fleming

the 1923 season of the Pottsville Maroons

Carlisle vs Army by Anderson

the gridiron face-off of Jim Thorpe and Dwight Eisenhower

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

"I am Third" by Gale Sayers...great read.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Sam Lemoine

I will purchase some of these. I read I am third a few years ago.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:14 AM

Not sure what you are really looking for but I read one 10-15 years ago titled: 3rd Down and Forever: Joe Don Looney and the Rise and Fall of an American Hero by Brent Clark. He was supposed to be the next great one for Bud Wilkinson at University of Oklahoma but never materialized. He was a 1st round NFL pick even though he was kicked off the team. His father was Don Looney who was a favorite target for Davey O’Brien on the 1938 TCU football team that was pretty dang good. His father died in 2015 at age 98 and was oldest living NFL veteran at the time. His dad set the NFL record of 58 catches in a season for the Eagles in 1940 and was a long time game official in the NFL. Don’t know your age but if you remember Brian ‘Boz’ Bosworth in early 80’s at the University of Oklahoma and the eccentric persona he created then think 20 years before the Boz but an authentic personality! That was Joe Don Looney. Just a little synopsis to pique your interest in the book!

Last edited by runred41; 12-13-2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: misspelled Bud as Bid!