NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Default Opinion on Pee Wee Reese Please

This one has some of the indicators I look for in a good Reese, but the R is really throwing me off. Is this just a bad day in relation to the R, or just a bat autograph? Opinions are really appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reese.jpg (72.9 KB, 307 views)
Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

98 views and nobody has an opinion?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:18 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I would have a hard time imagining someone forging a Reese signature as he was an accommodating signer, but the R is certainly off.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
98 views and nobody has an opinion?
I don’t know why anyone would post here looking for an autograph opinion. I’m not an expert in authentication or forensic studies. If you get a reply, you have no idea who is giving their opinion or if it’s accurate. To me, from the small portion I can see, it looks like it’s preprinted on the piece but it’s hard to tell anything from a photo. I would hate to weigh in on a topic and have someone make a financial decision based on my opinion. There are quick opinion services for this reason.

Last edited by Yastrzemski Sports; 01-09-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I don’t know why anyone would post here looking for an autograph opinion. I’m not an expert in authentication or forensic studies. If you get a reply, you have no idea who is giving their opinion or if it’s accurate. To me, from the small portion I can see, it looks like it’s preprinted on the piece but it’s hard to tell anything from a photo. I would hate to weigh in on a topic and have someone make a financial decision based on my opinion. There are quick opinion services for this reason.
Why did you come on this site. If opinions don't matter then you should go and hustle the quick opinion site somewhere else.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Opinion

I would gladly take the "opinion" of many people on this site over the TPG. Spend a little time around here and you will find that there are people from all walks of life, incomes, and ages....and knowledge that is unbelievable. Oh yea...and they don't charge for their time.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Tony W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
I would gladly take the "opinion" of many people on this site over the TPG. Spend a little time around here and you will find that there are people from all walks of life, incomes, and ages....and knowledge that is unbelievable. Oh yea...and they don't charge for their time.

I second that. This site is full of helpful, knowledgeable folks. I appreciate them. Lots of people here who are giving back to the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2019, 05:26 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
I would take the opinion of several people from this board before I would take the opinion of PSA, JSA and most other third party authentication.

As a wise old man once told me when I was much younger than I am today....."sit down, shut up and observe. When you have as much experience as these others, then you can offer your opinions".
Old 01-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I would take the opinion of several people from this board before I would take the opinion of PSA, JSA and most other third party authentication.

As a wise old man once told me when I was much younger than I am today....."sit down, shut up and observe. When you have as much experience as these others, then you can offer your opinions".
You can gather all of the opinions you like. If the tpa won’t authenticate you might as well throw it out. I don’t want anyone to think that I am disrespectful of their knowledge or expertise, but if I want to sell an item I can’t show the buyer this thread as proof of authenticity.

As the umpire said - it’s nothing til I call it.

Last edited by Yastrzemski Sports; 01-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
i would gladly take the "opinion" of many people on this site over the tpg. Spend a little time around here and you will find that there are people from all walks of life, incomes, and ages....and knowledge that is unbelievable. Oh yea...and they don't charge for their time.
+1000
Old 01-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Actually, quite a few of us have been around here for many years, and we often exchange our expertise when someone has a question. Many times, it has more to do with if anyone has seen a verified authentic autograph that has the same characteristics...in this case, the R in Reese (I asked the question because I had not although I felt there were several parts of the autograph that matched very well with one's I've received in person).
By the way, it in no way looks like it's preprinted by the photo I included.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
This one has some of the indicators I look for in a good Reese, but the R is really throwing me off. Is this just a bad day in relation to the R, or just a bat autograph? Opinions are really appreciated.
Avoid.

It has the general shape of a Reese but that blue marker is terrible. I can't gauge the speed of the writing because the letters look blurred together and there is no variation in line thickness. It could have been signed slowly and there would be no way to tell for sure with that pen.

I recommend you find a nice signature penned with a thin ballpoint pen or fountain pen.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks Manny, and everyone that took the time to answer. Yeah, normally I would have just passed immediately on this one due to the R and what Manny said about the thick sharpie (a problem I've seen on more than a couple Reeses) and the fact I have plenty of other in-person Reese sigs in my collection, but this one just happened to be on a magazine I needed. Would have really liked to have added it, but like anything else, another one will probably come down the road in the future.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
You can gather all of the opinions you like. If the tpa won’t authenticate you might as well throw it out. I don’t want anyone to think that I am disrespectful of their knowledge or expertise, but if I want to sell an item I can’t show the buyer this thread as proof of authenticity.

As the umpire said - it’s nothing til I call it.
I understand Adam's point. While I trust many opinions here more than the well known TPAs, I may not want to limit my market to only the smartest, most knowledgeable collectors. The average Joe Schmoe collector doesn't know most of the folks here but know only the big three TPAs. If I am buying, I would trust opinions here but if I am selling, I need a TPA unless I am selling to a Net 54 guy. I don't agree with "you might as well throw it out" but then I am not in the business. I am just a collector.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

In my limited experience, people talk a big game when it comes to the authenticators and knowledge on the board. When it comes to reselling, nobody wants anything but a TPG. That's why it's the first question they ask.

Will you guarantee it will pass?

Not even if it's real or not, they dont care, as long as a tpg says it good

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Not even if it's real or not, they dont care, as long as a tpg says it good
This has been known for a very long time, but it's the kind of statement that goes unsaid.

The reality is, for a lot of autographs, the authenticity will never be known. It's like asking what happened before the big bang, or if there's intelligent life outside of the solar system. It's the kind of question that will never have an answer.

So it's better to just believe it's real if it looks real. If enough people believe it's real, then it is. You don't even need 50% of the market to think it's authentic, because the other 50% that doesn't, won't bid or buy it anyway. A bidding war only needs two believers with deep pockets.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:55 PM
Christopher Williams

Here is my PeeWee Reese.

PeeWeeReeseToChris-1.jpg
Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Here a vintage one for ya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190112-200742_Chrome.jpg (74.4 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 01-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I would have a hard time imagining someone forging a Reese signature as he was an accommodating signer, but the R is certainly off.
I've seen a forged Bobby Doerr posted here before, so anything is possible.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:27 PM

I don't have any opinion about the Reese autograph, but I would just note that many folks here aren't looking for an opinion for resale purposes but to help make a decision about purchasing something for their collection. Or they already have an auto in their collection that they have questions about and would like to determine authenticity. Some of the frequent posters here are very knowledgeable and take the time to be helpful to fellow forum members, and I think that's very cool.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
Some of the frequent posters here are very knowledgeable and take the time to be helpful to fellow forum members, and I think that's very cool.
It's amazing they can tell some autos in a heartbeat if it's good or not, and sometimes even who the forger was, or where it came from! I've definately relied in a few members here for stuff just too esoteric for my knowledge

Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by setbuilder View Post
...the reality is, for a lot of autographs, the authenticity will never be known. It's like asking what happened before the big bang, or if there's intelligent life outside of the solar system. It's the kind of question that will never have an answer...
x-files 1.jpg

x-files 2.jpg

I'm not so sure how much intelligent life exists within our own solar system.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 AM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I don't have any opinion about the Reese autograph, but I would just note that many folks here aren't looking for an opinion for resale purposes but to help make a decision about purchasing something for their collection. Or they already have an auto in their collection that they have questions about and would like to determine authenticity. Some of the frequent posters here are very knowledgeable and take the time to be helpful to fellow forum members, and I think that's very cool.
+++1
Old 01-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Attachment 340409

Attachment 340410

I'm not so sure how much intelligent life exists within our own solar system.
+1 especially currently...