NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default Contacting an auction house to correct a listing

Has anyone had any experience contacting an auction house regarding a listing they have up?

A while back I noticed an item in a Lelands auction that I believe had a significant issue. I messaged them with the information and evidence and within 24 hours got a message back that the listing was pulled and thanking me for the information.

More recently I messaged another auction house about an issue. In this case the information was a bit less conclusive than in the previous instance, but I believe the information I provided lent substantial support to the idea that the item was being dated incorrectly, and should be adjusted.

It has been close to a week and I have not received any response and have not heard from the auction house.

Has anyone had experience contacting auction houses?
Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 PM

Contacted REA several years ago about an error in their then-current catalogue
(date attributed, in the auction description, to an antique tabletop baseball game
was off by about a decade).
Heard back next day personally from Rob Lifson, very politely thanking us for the info.
An errata sheet was included in subsequent mailings of that catalogue
(well, one was sent to us, anyway).
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 05-28-2017, 12:59 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I've contacted auction houses sometimes with about 50/50 success. I know sometimes they've missed the messages, and some aren't terribly good at communicating.

Due to lack of communication and people who don't take kindly to corrections, my personal rule is I answer questions that are asked of me and leave it at that. I do have auction houses that sometimes ask me questions, but it's more often collectors who have questions about items in auctions.

The exception where I insert myself is when an auction house has something that is much more significant that they realize-- which happens sometimes.

Last edited by drcy; 05-28-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:14 AM
Chris

"Substantial support" probably isn't sufficient enough to warrant revising the description. We all have theories and some evidence about particular items but it's a fine line.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Ben North

I would guess most auction/consignment houses/sellers don't care as long as they get their cut.

Check out this thread. http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240022 They changed the title but this is still the first line in the description. "Great piece, offered is a truly historic 1947 Brooklyn Dodger original World Series ring."

Yep that is a World Series ring.

EDIT: I did contact Heritage once because they had some old rack packs and in that listing they said to beware of the fake Christmas rack packs. Then a few lots later was a listing for Christmas Rack packs. When I pointed that out they pulled the Christmas rack packs from the auction.

Last edited by bnorth; 05-28-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:22 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
"Substantial support" probably isn't sufficient enough to warrant revising the description. We all have theories and some evidence about particular items but it's a fine line.
Wouldn't that be hard to say without knowing what the item or evidence was?

Substantial support = pretty strong evidence that the item signed did not exist until 5-10 years after the date indicated + pretty clear indication that the style autograph on the item is in a style that reflects a later time period a well.

In my mind there is no doubt the listing is inaccurate, but unlike the earlier case where I had photo evidence, in this case I do not, so I didn't use as strong a wording in my original post.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Scott Russell

I have emailed a company I buy and sell with on occasion, They have made appropriate changes every time.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 05-29-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I've mentioned the simple mistake of picturing a card that was not what the description was related to. A clear mistake that wasn't an opinion. They thanked me right away and fixed the listing online.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Wouldn't that be hard to say without knowing what the item or evidence was?

Substantial support = pretty strong evidence that the item signed did not exist until 5-10 years after the date indicated + pretty clear indication that the style autograph on the item is in a style that reflects a later time period a well.

In my mind there is no doubt the listing is inaccurate, but unlike the earlier case where I had photo evidence, in this case I do not, so I didn't use as strong a wording in my original post.
I think it's a fine line. Not doubting the veracity of what you say. I'm sure the listing is wrong. I just don't expect that an auction would modify a listing based on the opinion of someone.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

One time I called an auction house to correct an error on a concert ticket lot -- the band had actually not played that particular night due to a cancellation -- and the owner of the auction house got on the phone and threatened to murder me. LOLOL Seriously.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
One time I called an auction house to correct an error on a concert ticket lot -- the band had actually not played that particular night due to a cancellation -- and the owner of the auction house got on the phone and threatened to murder me. LOLOL Seriously.
Maybe my approach to customer service has been all wrong, lo these many years...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM

Emailed once regarding a misidentification of photo subject (a guy standing next to Jackie Robinson). Description was properly edited within hours.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Have emailed REA and the auction description online was changed within an hour.........
Old 05-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Emailed once regarding a misidentification of photo subject (a guy standing next to Jackie Robinson). Description was properly edited within hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Have emailed REA and the auction description online was changed within an hour.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Contacted REA several years ago about an error in their then-current catalogue
(date attributed, in the auction description, to an antique tabletop baseball game
was off by about a decade).
Heard back next day personally from Rob Lifson, very politely thanking us for the info.
An errata sheet was included in subsequent mailings of that catalogue
(well, one was sent to us, anyway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I have emailed a company I buy and sell with on occasion, They have made appropriate changes every time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I've mentioned the simple mistake of picturing a card that was not what the description was related to. A clear mistake that wasn't an opinion. They thanked me right away and fixed the listing online.

AndyH
By and large a reputable company doesn't want the headache of selling a mistake. There's an entire branch of insurance for auction houses called "Errors and Omissions" and while most larger companies have it, nobody wants to use it!

Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Auction houses should answer questions quickly.
The ones with the best customer service do. I always ask our members to go to the auction house before going public, with most things, to get them corrected. It's not a rule but is a common courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Has anyone had any experience contacting an auction house regarding a listing they have up?

A while back I noticed an item in a Lelands auction that I believe had a significant issue. I messaged them with the information and evidence and within 24 hours got a message back that the listing was pulled and thanking me for the information.

More recently I messaged another auction house about an issue. In this case the information was a bit less conclusive than in the previous instance, but I believe the information I provided lent substantial support to the idea that the item was being dated incorrectly, and should be adjusted.

It has been close to a week and I have not received any response and have not heard from the auction house.

Has anyone had experience contacting auction houses?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I just call them up to tell them they screwed up again (Hi Lee).

It works. Correction ensues. Everyone is happy.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I didn't want to post until the auction ended, but now that it is over I'd love to get more thoughts.

This baseball was listed as: Lot # 402: 1940’S SATCHEL PAIGE SINGLE SIGNED “NEGRO AMERICAN LEAGUE” BASEBALL

The 2 basic problems are:
1) The signature "Satchel" only has 1 "L" indicating the ball was signed after 1948. (In at least some 1948 Indians team signed baseballs he still signed with 2 "L's")

2) The specific baseball to the best of my knowledge did not exist before the 1950's. According to Keyman it didn't exist until 1956:
http://keymancollectibles.com/balls/...uebaseball.htm

Based on these 2 I felt that the listing describing the ball as "1940's" was almost definitely inaccurate, and it was much more likely that the ball was signed in the 50's (possibly connected to a barnstorming tour.)

Anyone agree or disagree with the conclusion? Is it strong enough reason to have reasonably changed the listing or is it not enough?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paige Negro Signed ball.jpg (74.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Paige Negro Signed ball 2.jpg (76.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 06-15-2017, 10:38 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Same here, I pointed out that a card looked trimmed, next thing I knew, the listing agreed. I was very polite, asked them instead of accused them, I mean, I'm just looking at a scan, they got the item to look at.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com