NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Mike Dugan

The latest issue of Memories and Dreams the bi-monthly magazine of the Baseball Hall of Fame has an article on this very subject. The author, Bill Francis believes the current lack of tickets will only strengthen the hobby as people look to the past for memories?

The article gives a history of teams switching to computer then mobile devises. It mentions that the Nationals stopped printing tickets for season ticket holders in 2013.

This not an area of collecting that I know anything about but the short article in well done. It may be on-line at the BBHOF?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
The latest issue of Memories and Dreams the bi-monthly magazine of the Baseball Hall of Fame has an article on this very subject. The author, Bill Francis believes the current lack of tickets will only strengthen the hobby as people look to the past for memories?

The article gives a history of teams switching to computer then mobile devises. It mentions that the Nationals stopped printing tickets for season ticket holders in 2013.

This not an area of collecting that I know anything about but the short article in well done. It may be on-line at the BBHOF?
Exactly...
Old 04-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Mikeknapp

I only collect the 1971 Bucs home and away tickets. Finding any that I dont have is highly unusual and cost prohibitive. I have seen stubs to uneventful 71 Pirate games go for $75 to $100. I just can't justify that price no matter how badly I want a stub. 71 Pirate games in San Diego and Montreal seem to be very rare. Due to that I have extended myself many times and walked away empty handed. There are a couple of other collectors on this site who have collecting interests that occasionally cause us to cross paths in pursuit of a stub. However, I believe they too shy away from such prices. Nonetheless, although my focus is narrow supply and demand have driven the prices up. I cannot believe this will not be the case for collectors who are chasing milestone tickets of individual players and famous teams. I think ticket collectors are pretty safe. I believe the scarcity of stubs will only serve to pique the interest of future collecters.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 04-06-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I only collect the 1971 Bucs home and away tickets. Finding any that I dont have is highly unusual and cost prohibitive. I have seen stubs to uneventful 71 Pirate games go for $75 to $100. I just can't justify that price no matter how badly I want a stub. 71 Pirate games in San Diego and Montreal seem to be very rare. Due to that I have extended myself many times and walked away empty handed. There are a couple of other collectors on this site who have collecting interests that occasionally cause us to cross paths in pursuit of a stub. However, I believe they too shy away from such prices. Nonetheless, although my focus is narrow supply and demand have driven the prices up. I cannot believe this will not be the case for collectors who are chasing milestone tickets of individual players and famous teams. I think ticket collectors are pretty safe. I believe the scarcity of stubs will only serve to pique the interest of future collecters.
Here is an example of this. What am I missing with this this ticket?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Unused...p2047675.l2557

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Old 05-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Here is an example of this. What am I missing with this this ticket?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Unused...p2047675.l2557
Maybe about 130 bucks?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Yah, no idea. I saw that too, had to go back and research the game and I got nothing.

Do you recognize the winners id?

Astros guy? Pirates guy? Re-seller? Find that one hard to believe as they arn't doing any better then what that just went for.

Unless I'm missing it too.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Peter F

Unless someone wanted Rennie Stennet's first career stolen base ticket, I'm with you Mike, I have no idea why it went for so much.

That said it is a nice looking full ticket, with the family day/stub reference but still that doesn't make it a $135.00 item.

Don't know Mike. Good luck in your quest tho.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Mikeknapp

It has to be a 1971 Pirates issue. The seller has three similar Astro tickets that are for games against the Dodgers, Reds, and Cubs. These three clubs are each very popular with collectors. Yet all three can be had for BIN $9.99 each. I know of two other board members whose ticket collecting efforts cause us to cross paths. One reached out to me about this item to enquire if I was bidding. He said he was not bidding. The other collector chases Stargell HR stubs. This can only mean there is a fourth individual out there willing to spend significantly more than I for pedestrian stubs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Unused...MAAOSwZSJcwOF4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Unused...IAAOSwx2BcwN-Q

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Housto...UAAOSwrANcwNcE

Last edited by 71buc; 05-01-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:29 AM

Hi Mike,
I would have to guess that it is someone who collects Roberto Clemente hits.
At one time I knew a collector that was chasing this theme, but I have not heard from him in 10-15 years.

The only way that a ticket gets to this price though is obvious.
Two or more motivated collectors placing high snipe bids and one ends up holding the bag at the end of the auction.
There is no way that this ticket can be worth anywhere near this amount.