NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Bruce Babcock

Default OT/Professional athletes in the family?

I know that some of us at NET 54 are related to famous ball players, and others played pro ball themselves. No such luck for me. No one even smoked tobacco or collected cards. I've been searching for a pro athlete in the family tree for quite a while but have drawn a blank - until now. Lots of Puritans, missionaries, scientists, preachers, slaveowners, etc. but finally, a pro athlete. Sort of.

Some of you have seen this photo before. Any thoughts on the location? Could it be NYC?

I can't be postive that this guy is a relative but he probably is. I'm still working on that part of it. But I've since found more photos, newspaper articles and his full name - Oscar V. Babcock. I'm guessing he was born around 1880.

Nice outfit.

There is more here:
http://imageevent.com/uffda51/oscarv...theleapofdeath

Apparently he was an amateur bicycle racer but a professional stunt bicycle rider, as well as a biplane pilot. He belonged to a club called The Harlem Wheelmen and participated in some six-day bike races, very popular at the time.

Any stories of professional athletes in your family to share?

Last edited by uffda51; 01-09-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Rob Miller

I believe my cousin is married to someone whose brother is married to the sister of former MLB catcher Sal Butera. His son Drew currently plays for the Twins.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

My Grandfather Cobby Caputo was inducted into the Ohio Boxing Hall Of Fame in '94. He took me to my first Indians game back in '89 or '90(it was one of the old-timer game days), and introduced me to his friend Mel Harder after the game. I'll tell ya, I was in heaven that day. I still have my ticket stub signed by Harder from that game somewhere in my collection..
Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
I believe my cousin is married to someone whose brother is married to the sister of former MLB catcher Sal Butera. His son Drew currently plays for the Twins.
The six degrees of Sal Butera.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Brian Macdonald

My uncle, Barrie Poole, was the first Canadian to ever win a N.H.R.A. drag raging major "National" event. He was selected as Chatham, Ontario's "Man of the Year," a title whose previous recipients included Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Ferguson Jenkins. Barrie even has a few cards, issued by Fleer in the early 1970's.

http://www.peisportshalloffame.ca/pe...tiy.cfm?ID=103
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Does the wife's family count? She's Dominican and has a cousin pitching in the minor leagues. He's in the Astros organization and will be in high Single A next season Here's his bio. Jose Trinidad.

http://tinyurl.com/28n5omb

She had another cousin who made it to Double A ball as a relief pitcher in the Giants organization before getting cut.

And she has another cousin who's a shortstop that the scouts in the DR were sniffing around when he was 14. I think he's 16 or 17 now. Not sure what the latest is on him, but supposedly, he's the best of the bunch.

Shocking, isn't it? Dominican boys who play baseball.

As for athletes in my family? Notsomuch. I'm still waiting for an MLB scout to happen to drive by when we're playing in my company softball league. He'll see my rocket arm out in left center and sign me up. Never mind that I'm 41.

Rob (Future Cubbie)
Old 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My avatar is my grandfather's 1st cousin, Ray Miller, who was the #1 ranked lightweight contender in 1929 (made the cover of Ring in April 1929) and is the only man to KO HOFer Jimmy McLarnin. He was later a very well regarded referee in NY and was included as one of two referees in the 1951 Ringside set.

Another cousin was lightweight Bennie Berris, who was a club level fighter who drew with HOFer Young Corbett III in one fight.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Default Pro athletes

Great uncle..and still looking for his card BTW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T210Eldridge.jpg (76.9 KB, 246 views)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM

A distant relative on my wife side of the family, former Pirates catcher and MLB manager, Harry Smith

Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Anthøny N. ex

My wifes great aunt was on the Hungarian gymnastics team at the '36 Berlin Olympics, winning a bronze medal. She was also Hungary's flag bearer at the opening ceremony.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 PM

Not pro, but my paternal great grandfather was the quarterback of the first Michigan State football team. Have a copy of the team photo somewhere.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Jim D

well I 've been told i am a relative of someone famous, but have no proof.

my mom's side i am a descendant of Sir John A Mcdonald, Canada's first Prime Minister.

The real no proof relation is my last name is Drysdale. Don was suppose to be a relative, but think my dad is probably full of it!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Clint

My brother Justin Hromek is a professional bowler. He's won a few tournaments including the U. S. Open. One of his victories occurred in a doubles tournament with the legendary Dick Weber as his partner. This victory enabled Mr. Weber to have victories in 4 different decades. As a side note my brother also appears in the movie Kingpin in a cameo spot.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Josh Margolin

My father's great uncle was Nat Fleischer, founder of Ring Magazine and the Boxing Hall of fame. Not an athlete per se, but not bad.

As an aside, saying this makes me feel like Dark Helmet from Spaceballs: "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."
Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM

Default great uncle

Wynn "Hawk" Hawkins played on the indians from 1960-1962
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM
FredYoung

My cousin was Moritz Herman Flohr, nicknamed "Dutch" or Mort and was signed off the Duke University campus by Connie Mack. In 1934, straight out of Duke, he pitched in 14 games for the Phil A's. In spring training 1935 he deleloped arm problems and never played ML ball again.

I just picked up this Geo Burke photo of him in the recent MEARS auction, one of only 2 known poses of him in his A's uniform.

Also showing a PC auto of his, of which I have several and a couple of auto index cards he signed for me in the early '90's when his eyesight was going bad & was not in good health when I last saw him. He died in 1994.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flohrgen1f.jpg (67.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg flohrgen1r.jpg (56.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg flohr1f.jpg (36.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg flohrsig.jpg (15.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Bilko Glasier

My Girlfriends cousin is an Olympic gold medalist and one of the most famous female Hockey players to ever play the game, Cassie Campbell.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Dan Bretta

The closest my family comes to fame is not in sports...my great uncle Vernon Presley was Elvis Presley's first cousin..he died a few years back. I have relatives on my dad's side that were heavily involved in Boston politics from the 1950s through 70s.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffda51 View Post

Some of you have seen this photo before. Any thoughts on the location? Could it be NYC?
That looks like Cleveland to me - Terminal Tower downtown.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I know I already chimed in once about my grandfather. But I forgot to mention that my sis-in-law's father was a professional bowler in the 80's named Tom Crites.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-10-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Johnny S

My 2nd cousin held a record for a long time of bowling a 300 on live tv, talk about excitement lol !!!