NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Isa graders?

Does anyone have opinions or thoughts about this new grading service? I must admit, some of there recent cards on ebay look very strictly graded....still very skeptical however.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Have they given any trimmed cards an 8 yet?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

On an ebay search, the first card that comes up is an ISA 9 33 Goudey. That was enough for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Pete Sycks

ISA isn't new, it's been around for a couple years. I wouldn't trust them.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 AM

Default ISA Grading

I know the owner personally. Jason Koonce. Former PSA employee. Was unhappy with some aspects of PSA decided he could do it better. I trust them
Old 08-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Robert Williams

You may trust them, but the general public doesn't.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

First five cards on a highest to lowest search.
Brett rookie 10
Ditka rookie 9
Jordan rookie 10
Brock rookie 9
56 Jackie 9

Well, OK, maybe.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Just from looking at what's on the bay. It does appear that they do a pretty decent job of grading/authenticating. My only concern is that on the high-grade stuff, it appears that the 10 may be thrown around a little too freely.. That Brett rookie though. It's hard to say. It's one hell of a gorgeous card..
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default Xovers

We really won't know much until we some ISA cross to PSA/SGC... notwithstanding the issues with PSA/SGC themselves...
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Does anyone have opinions or thoughts about this new grading service? I must admit, some of there recent cards on ebay look very strictly graded....still very skeptical however.
If you are looking to slab vintage and want to maximize your investment, why go to a start-up? Stick w/ PSA or SGC.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
If you are looking to slab vintage and want to maximize your investment, why go to a start-up? Stick w/ PSA or SGC.

because they were startups once too. why would you ever go with sgc, when psa started their card grading service first? how did sgc get off the ground if people just said "why go with sgc, stick w/psa?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
because they were startups once too. why would you ever go with sgc, when psa started their card grading service first? how did sgc get off the ground if people just said "why go with sgc, stick w/psa?
Maybe you missed this earlier post: "On an ebay search, the first card that comes up is an ISA 9 33 Goudey. That was enough for me."

My post was obviously over your head. The point is, PSA & SGC now have years of cred. So, why go to a newer, unproven? When PSA & SGC started, what was the slab competition . . . CSA, PRO, KSA?? I'd take my chances on a PSA or SGC slab any day of the week over the same card in a ISA slab. What are you, a flack for ISA?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Scd

I was surprised to see a full page ad in SCD this week. $7 per card for 2 day service.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe you missed this earlier post: "On an ebay search, the first card that comes up is an ISA 9 33 Goudey. That was enough for me."

My post was obviously over your head. The point is, PSA & SGC now have years of cred. So, why go to a newer, unproven? When PSA & SGC started, what was the slab competition . . . CSA, PRO, KSA?? I'd take my chances on a PSA or SGC slab any day of the week over the same card in a ISA slab. What are you, a flack for ISA?

no, i had never heard of them before, i just reject out of the hand the old argument that a new startup cant be trusted, then no one would have trusted sgc, because psa was already up and running by then, so why take a chance on sgc.

you are suggesting psa and sgc opened at the same time, and they didnt - psa started first, please correct me if i am in error.

same with autographs, people will say - "why go with someone other than psa or jsa.

well, when jsa started, where were those people saying "why go with someone other than psa?"

no startup would or could succeed following that line of reasoning.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 PM

It's true that people in the hobby can be automatically dismissive about the new and different. I've noticed that through the years.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Who is the grader? What are his qualifications and more importantly his reputation?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
James Wymer

If I was that curious I would buy an inexpensive ISA card and view the item for myself. There are several of these startups that grade dinged up cards as 10's.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
no, i had never heard of them before, i just reject out of the hand the old argument that a new startup cant be trusted, then no one would have trusted sgc, because psa was already up and running by then, so why take a chance on sgc.

you are suggesting psa and sgc opened at the same time, and they didnt - psa started first, please correct me if i am in error.

same with autographs, people will say - "why go with someone other than psa or jsa.

well, when jsa started, where were those people saying "why go with someone other than psa?"

So, if you had a '52T Mantle, your grading co. of choice would be ISA and you really believe that would maximize the value over the same card in a PSA or SGC slab?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So, if you had a '52T Mantle, your grading co. of choice would be ISA and you really believe that would maximize the value over the same card in a PSA or SGC slab?
It might if ISA gave it a numerical grade and the others would have deemed it altered; or graded it 2 grades higher. Otherwise, clearly not. More generally, I don't think it's impossible for a new market entrant to make headway, but I think the market would require a lot of information about the grader and his reputation. There have been quite a number of sham grading services in the past and the burden is on any new one to convince us that it isn't one more.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 AM

I agree that a new company has to demonstrate their skills and/or document their experience. If a new company does a credible, good job it can catch on with time-- though I'd think card grading can be a tough area to get a foothold.

I think if a company does a good job, many collectors will eventually be welcoming. Collectors often say it would be nice if there was a new quality grader.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I wonder if their facebook page still exists. it showed a bunch of young kids as the employees....
Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would welcome a grading service with expert graders free from influence and ownership free from conflict of interest.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Well, at least the Cobb/Edwards Wagner wasn't the first card that they graded.. ISA's definitely off to a better start than others..
Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Anyone remember CSA and PRO?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Banned

they say they want a new quality grader, but if it ever comes to fruition, they swarm like sharks and hyenas to denounce the company because all their stuff is in psa or gsc holders, and they dont want to dilute what they already have.

if a new company overtook sgc or psa and caught on TOO MUCH, then all their stuff has to be regraded and pay again, it's what happened with gai and autograph authentication.

so they really DONT want someone newm everm no matter how good.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:47 PM

The majority of new graders have been scams to borderline scams, so skepticism from card collectors isn't just knee jerk.

Some basement graders were there to grade fakes and altered cards, and others existed to overgrade as the grader was also the cards owner and seller. One infamous grader graded pictures cut out of books, representing them as cards-- and, yes, the grader, the picture cutter and the seller were the same person. Some graders clearly did not care if their grade or card description was accurate (they often knew the grade and description was wrong)-- they were only interested in taking money from newbie collectors who didn't know better.

So card collectors who have been around the block are going to be skeptical when the latest grader pops up. History hasn't exactly been pretty.

Last edited by drc; 08-04-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
True. Maybe they're great guys. Maybe they do things the right way. Maybe they aren't greedy bastards who just care about money.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Who is the grader? What are his qualifications and more importantly his reputation?
The head grader's qualifications: he was born to grade.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Sounds like a Springsteen hit.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM

As a watcher of vintage horror movies (ala Bela Lugosi), it makes me wonder what kind of unholy, unearthly lab experiment would produce a human born to be a grader.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Sounds like a Springsteen hit.
Very few people actually know that the original title of Springsteen's 1975 breakout hit was "Born to Grade." Who would have known he was a card geek when he was young?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Was "Grading in the Dark" about PSA, SGC, or both?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Instead of people just dogging ISA, can we get some opinions from people who have actually dealt with the company?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Jim M.arinari

My favorite album, "Gradings from Asbury Park, NJ."
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Mr. Mize,

For all I know, ISA could be a great company.

The thing is, it may impact the value of your card if it is in an ISA holder as oppose to PSA or SGC. For example, I have bought a few cards over the years by grading companies other than PSA and SGC, and on more than one occasion, they turned out to be altered.

In other words, I personally will always be a bit skeptical now due to my personal experience, and therefore would almost automatically pay less for a card graded by a company that is not PSA or SGC.

Still, I suppose we now know that no company is 100% perfect.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Anthony Ram.os

Still not getting any "personal experiences" yet. Again, I'm very interested to hear from people who have personally dealt with ISA!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Don't particularly care for any of the grading company's but there is absolutely nothing wrong with good old fashioned competition in the business world . The collectors will be the final judge of who has quality grading at a fair price. All the money I saved on sending cards in for grading I spent on more actual cards rather than on hard plastic case and typed labels . Learn to grade for your self! Brett
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
My favorite album, "Gradings from Asbury Park, NJ."
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Just browsed ebay and noticed the high end stuff but there were "authentic/altered" cards and other lower grade ones as well, all of which seemed consistent. The high end was very nice by the way, possibly ringers to attract attention. Looks pretty good so far. If done the right way, they can compete, and I noticed known advertizers on their site, along with probstein (?) selling some high end card.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

P.S: they'll advertize here if they have any sense.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Jeff-let's clear one thing up, if your name is not Grady you couldn't be born to grade (exceptions may be made if your mother's maiden name was Grady and you are willing to undergo some genetic testing).
Old 08-11-2015, 04:12 AM
Lonnie Nagel

So I picked up one of these at a more than fair price..... You tell me.....

photo 1955Banks85Front_zps5d24fe58.jpg

photo 1955Banks85Back_zps00c8eb43.jpg
Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 AM
Robert Williams

I would take a pass on the Banks if I were you. It is in that ISA holder for a reason.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Phil Garry

Looks trimmed to me..........
Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default kind of glad

I don't collect recent issues any longer and have always stayed away from cards in the minty ranges. Looking at the Banks card shown (without it in hand) I would have no clue it's been trimmed from the scan. I might not know even with it in hand..... An "off brand" of TPG and unusual condition suggests an extra level of caution be applied.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:00 AM
K!ya S@bet

...nevermind

Last edited by ksabet; 08-11-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Ryan

Quote:

That may be true, but I don't want to be the guinea pig for them. Especially considering the fact I'm only saving $3 over SGC. No thanks but best of luck to you on that.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Justin

If nothing else I really like their simple pricing structure. I wish the others would take note. I've never understood why the value of a card should dictate the price to grade it. That always seemed wrong to me.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 08-11-2015, 12:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
It might if ISA gave it a numerical grade and the others would have deemed it altered; or graded it 2 grades higher. Otherwise, clearly not. More generally, I don't think it's impossible for a new market entrant to make headway, but I think the market would require a lot of information about the grader and his reputation. There have been quite a number of sham grading services in the past and the burden is on any new one to convince us that it isn't one more.
+1

The only reason I could imagine someone sending in a high profile card like a 53 Mantle or an 86 Jordan to a company no one has heard of is that they couldn't get a numerical grade out of PSA or SGC. Anyone buying these cards is probably hoping to cross but chances are someone has already tried and failed.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
If nothing else I really like their simple pricing structure. I wish the others would take note. I've never understood why the value of a card should dictate the price to grade it. That always seemed wrong to me.
Because a flat rate would be much higher than the lowest rate and would create a disincentive to grade less pricey cards. Simple business.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-11-2015 at 12:19 PM.