NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: Mrc32

What do people think about the E-91 set? Is there a large group of collectors for this set? I had heard that the set turned a lot of people off becuase it doesn't actually use drawings of the real players and has a "fake design" as Lipsett puts it in his book.

I sort of like the way the cards look.

What do others think about this set? Would it be hard/expensive to put together?

Old 01-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: jay behrens

Personaly, it's one of the ugliest sets out there. It'sa cheap way to get some top tier HOFers if you don't mind the fact that the card doesn't look anything like the player. I don't know all the vagaries of the set as far as scarcities, etc, but it shouldn't be too hard to complete. There always seems to be a decent number of available on eBay.

Jay

Old 01-12-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

For those of you that may not know, cards in the first or E91A series actually DO reflect likenesses of the players.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: petecld

It's a little sad this set doesn't get a little more respect. Jay is right, it isn't a pretty set but it was the first set of Baseball players since the E107 set and the success of this set kicked off the "golden age" of E-cards - 1909-1911.

Set "A" gets some respect and collector interest for the reason that Patrick mentioned, the faces do match the names on the card. The "B:" and "C" sets are collected mostly by the hard-core collectors but done seem to generate much interest from newer collectors.

As mentioned before, if you want a HoF player for your collection and don't have a lot of $$$ to spend this is a good set to look at.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: shammus

I would agree with Patrick. The likenesses used in the "A" subset were supposed to resemble the actual player, cartoon-like or not. The problem is those exact same "cartoons" or very similar ones were used for completely different players on entirely different teams when the B and C sets were produced.

Many prewar enthusiasts obviously like collecting early cards of Hall of Famers. However in this set, cards of most of the big names (ie...Johnson, Baker, Speaker, Wagner...etc...) didn't come along until sets B and C. Based on that fact, I think that many collectors realize that most of the HOFers in the e91 set weren't accurate likenesses of the players themselves, making the set sort of "uncollectable" in some hobbyists eyes.

As far as collectibility, in my opinion, this is the easiest set to put together. e90-1 cards are generally readily available as well but when you collect e90-1 cards you eventually hit a point where it becomes necessary to obtain some VERY difficult cards to complete the set. (Speaker, Mitchell, etc...). There are no difficult cards like these as far as I am aware of in the e91 set, so I would bill it as the easiest "e" set to put together.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: brian p

The points made by Patrick, Pete and Shammus are valid. Long ago I took the hint of Lipset in his article on this set in his Encylopedia and actually tried to find out if the artwork on the cards actually was representative of the the actual player. Because of the repetition of twenty of the same player attributions in the series B set, it makes it possible that 53 of the 99 cards in the set might actually have likenesses that correspond to the player listed on the card. What I found out, using only the Classic Baseball Cards book as a guide, was that about 2/3rd's of these 53 cards utilized artwork based directly (but only the head of the player) upon photographic images as seen in other card sets from the era. And the majority of the rest can be subjectively determined to represent the stated player based upon comparision of the photos and artwork (keeping in mind the consistent stylized renderings that were used throughout the set).

I have actually written an article about this set, but I just haven't gotten around to revising it--it has been sitting around for months. Having the VCBC in such a state of limbo sure hasn't inspired me to get my tookus in motion either.

Brian

Old 01-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: runscott

Old 01-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: brian p

As you can see, Scott has graphically illustrated that these images did not just get fabricated. This is the only one I have seen that used the full body pose...there might be others, I just used the mostly head shot photos available in card issues when comparing the cards versus the photos. You have to admit that the artist even captured a good likeness of Reulbach's facial profile. Boy, has the E91 set gotten a bad rap.

Brian

Old 01-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: jay behrens

The ruelbach card is the exception and not the rule. The reason the set gets a bad rap is because there is numerous art that is used 3 and 4 times in the set with the only change being the name of the team across the chest of the player.

Jay

Old 01-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: shammus

Well keep in mind though that the Reulbach was printed in 1908 for set A. Sets B and C were printed in 1909 and 1910 and basically consisted of the exact artwork from the cards in set A and assigned them to entirely different players on different teams. Like Jay said, the only thing changing would be the teamname on the players chest. Maybe if American Caramel had left well enough alone with Set A, the set wouldn't have such a bad rap today.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Default E91

Posted By: B c D

Maybe the pose that denotes the actual player used to copy for the fake ones should be considered more valueable being as it is obvious some are real poses in that cartoon type format!