NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default Any info on T219 Boxing ad backs?

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

I have a couple of bids in on T219 "Red Cross" boxing cards. I found almost no info on this set thru a google search. If anyone has any info regarding this set lemme know. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

In fact, I am. The following is an excerpt that should help:

This series of fifty cards are cropped versions of some of the fighters of the T218 set. Relatively few collectors collect a full set of these cards because of the duplication of the T218 images.

There are significant brand rarities in this set. The basic cards in the set are the Honest Long Cut (“HLC”) brand cards, which have black or green backs. HLC cards are about twice as rare as T218 cards. The Miners Extra brand is uncommon and sports prices that are multiples of the HLC card prices. I would say that the Miners cards are a small portion (10% or less) of the T219 population. The Red Cross brand is rare. A lower-grade Red Cross set sold at auction for over $2,000. Singles routinely transact anywhere from $25-$75 in vg condition and have become the subjects of more and more intense bidding in the last two or three years as recognition of the rarity increases.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Administrator

I should qualify that last entry. When I say the cards "routinely" transact at the subject prices, it is a relative term. They are quite rare. I have tracked only three sales on ebay in the last 12 months, including these two. There were one or two in 2001 as well. While not as rare as T207 Red Cross cards, it is all but impossible to assemble a set. Other than the set I referenced above, I do not know of anyone who has a full set, and I have spoken to many of the advanced collectors around the country about it.

Old 01-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I just got an Abe Attell Miners Extra in the mail today. It has "Factory No. 2 Dist MD". This is my first T219 and I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it.

I saw a T219 Red Cross in a mixed lot in a Festberg catalogue from I believe April 2002. That was the first time I had noticed the difference between T219 and T218. The Attell I bought was listed as a T218, so it looks like there are dealers out there that confuse the two issues.
I think it would help the Boxing card market on the whole if ebay simply created a "boxing cards" category. I have to go thru multiple card " key word" searches just to see what's listed. This makes for great bargains , but I think it prevents some dealers from listing their cards on ebay.

Good luck on the book. BTW is there a book that catalogues/prices all the boxing cards? That would certainly kick-start some interest in boxing cards.

Old 01-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Administrator

that's why I'm preparing mine. I am in the final phases of checklist cross-checking. I expect to issue it on CD so that it can include a massive picture gallery, downloadable checklists, and all of the raw data I've used. I'm sure I'll plug away here, so you will see it.

As far as the T218-T219 confusion, there is no T218 HLC, Miners or Red Cross. You know it is a T219 if you see any of these three (sort of; T227 also features Miners, but the cards are totally different).

Found any T218 Tolstois? They are nearly as tough as the Red Cross T219 cards.

Old 01-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Administrator

CD Format sounds like a good idea. Maybe you can get Krause to mass produce it. I definately want to buy a copy when it's done.

I have not seen any T218 Tolstois, but I only recently started looking at the ad backs and comparing the 2 sets. The underbidder in the T219 Red Cross auctions picked up 3 T220 Tolstoi's at $11 a piece on ebay the other day. I almost bid on those, but didn't know enough about it to enter a bid.

Old 01-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Any of you guys have the T220 silver border cards in excellent condition or better? I need about 9 or 10 to finish my set.
I sold my near complete set of T225 No. 102's (white border version) on ebay a few months ago and got a decent price for it. I have a complete set of the regular T225 (grey border version) cards in probably the nicest condition you'll find.
I've got a few of the T219's i'd sell to either of you two, if you're interested. The cards are in nice condition but have a light, barely noticeable surface wrinkle on them. I have a couple of others (including the Jeffries) with heavier creases. I'd post scans of them here but don't know how.

Eric