NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Brendan Mullen

3rd Bass was absolutely 100% not a boy band. They broke up after 2 albums. Debut was incredible, the next one was so-so. But they were definitely much respected in the hip hop community for sure.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Isn't that like saying someone made the best strip cards ever?

Steve B
Illmatic is in my opinion the most influential hip hop album of all time. Whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing is personal opinion, but it seems silly to dismiss something just because you don't like it. I don't like country music. That doesn't diminish Hank Williams or his contribution to it.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Brendan Mullen

Straight Outta Compton > Illmatic
D.O.C. No One Can Do It Better > Illmatic
early Eric B & Rakim or B.D.P. > Illmatic

hip hop was around (strong) for a solid 10 years before Illmatic, but back to the topic at hand...
Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 AM

I'm a fan of Eric B and Rakim too but their music has little relevance to today's hip hop. Illmatic sounds like it could have come out yesterday and it's 23 years old. The only album I'd hold up next to it is 36 Chambers or Ready To Die.

Sorry, but we don't get to discuss hip hop very much and in a way (thanks to Peter Nash) it's on topic for a change.

Last edited by packs; 01-11-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
3rd Bass was absolutely 100% not a boy band. They broke up after 2 albums. Debut was incredible, the next one was so-so. But they were definitely much respected in the hip hop community for sure.
Like I said I had never really heard of 3rd Bass. I just went to youtube and watched a few videos. After listening to them I would have to say we will have to agree to disagree. That seemed like rap meets boy band to me. The videos were very funny though.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Rappin' things up

No offense (like a good defense), but let us stick to Mr. Nash's potential rap sheet.

Brian (oy vey, always one for a little word play)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Slightly better than the 2/3 untrue of the soon to be former prez.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrighty35 View Post
better be careful! poltical commentary may land u in net54 purgatory!

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-11-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:05 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
To keep it a little off topic, I had never really heard that much about 3rd Bass and thought they were more of a boy band like New Kids on The Block. Now The Beastie Boys was some awesome white rap. “BLEEP, if this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my BLEEP in the mashed potatoes!” hahaha.
Beastie Boys was awesome Hip-Hop period. No need to qualify "white".

They are in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame, along with Grandmaster Flash, Run-DMC, N.W.A, Public Enemy and Johnny Cash
Old 01-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrighty35 View Post
Hi, new member. A couple points:

1- You're post is unintelligible;
2- I'm confident that if I could understand it, I would disagree with you;
3- No politics are discussed on this board; and
4- We're serious about that rule that if you give an opinion about someone, your full name must be included in your post.

Last edited by Sean; 01-11-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

4- We're serious about that rule that if you give an opinion about someone, you're full name must be included in your post.
+1
Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:

4- We're serious about that rule that if you give an opinion about someone, you're full name must be included in your post.
That's funny. When that Ullman guy made a d-bag comment about Trump in this thread, you said absolutely nothing!!! But here someone goes against your hero and suddenly you're outraged???????????

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Sean Costello

I wasn't outraged, but I did disagree. But "that Ullman guy" put his name on his post, and he was admonished by Leon for discussing politics. This gentleman ignored Leon's warning about politics and left his name off his comment.

But yes, I admit that I am an Obama supporter.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We really should leave politics off the board, guys. Believe me, I like to talk politics too!! And if anyone gives an opinion or gets into any debate, their name (scrambled) might be put under their user id per the rules..... Forewarned is fair-warned. Thanks for everyone's adherence. If there are any questions please post them here.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Isn't it fo sure?

For me the lines get blurred when it comes to hip hop and rap (Unintended reference to Robin 'I didn't plagiarize the Great Marvin Gaye' Thicke). I guess I just categorize it as good music whether it be 'The Message', 'No Sleep til Brooklyn', 'Naughty By Nature' 'or 'Straight Outta Compton'. I just view it as songs I like but could not say if they would be officially rap or hip hop. It seems a bit easier when it comes to punk, heavy metal, new wave, power pop, etc. Just the opinion from someone whose personal Top 500 (which it typed) includes everything from Paul Anka to PIL.

Thank you for no politics. I work in D.C. and can only say that I am glad I get two extra days off as my building is in the official security zone and closed for two days.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-11-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Isn't it fo sure?
No. It is "Fo Sho".

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 01-11-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:50 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'm a fan of Eric B and Rakim too but their music has little relevance to today's hip hop. Illmatic sounds like it could have come out yesterday and it's 23 years old. The only album I'd hold up next to it is 36 Chambers or Ready To Die.

Sorry, but we don't get to discuss hip hop very much and in a way (thanks to Peter Nash) it's on topic for a change.
Rakim is one of the, if not THE greatest rappers of all time. The music doesn't sound dated at all. You can play "Follow The Leader" or "Eric B Is President" in a club to this day, and the floor will be packed. As much as I don't consider rap to be "real music", I did like a lot of the early stuff.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:57 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
That's funny. When that Ullman guy made a d-bag comment about Trump in this thread, you said absolutely nothing!!! But here someone goes against your hero and suddenly you're outraged???????????
+1

..... and why no talk about Kid 'n Play on this thread when discussing Hip-Hop greats? ��

Last edited by Huysmans; 01-12-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:05 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
+1

..... and why no talk about Kid 'n Play on this thread when discussing Hip-Hop greats? ��
Ya...my truthful comment was so douchey! You oversensitive souls should go back to your 60's topps cards.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
+1

I think you answered your own question

Last edited by ksabet; 01-12-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
You oversensitive souls should go back to your 60's topps cards.
If you like your 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie, you can keep your 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie. The post war collector can expect an average savings of $2,500 next year on their set building. If I had a son, he would look like Don Mossi.
It's above my pay grade to ever try to tackle the Monster. If they bring a 1963 Pete Rose PSA 9, you bring a T206 Magie. All 60's Topps collectors must have skin in the game. EBay acted stupidly when they found in favor of the seller that sold me a trimmed 1967 Tom Seaver. It was a spontaneous protest caused by an offensive Internet video made by the despicable seller Battlefield6606 that showed them photo shopping a 1968 Johnny Bench with creases and stains. Now begins the fundamental transformation of the Net54 post war section. There is not a smidgen of evidence that any fraud was committed from the shilling of the 1968 Nolan Ryan. I have now been to 57 of the remaining brick and mortar stores that still carry vintage 60's Topps, I have one more to go to.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
exactly...or who perhaps have not publicly named names!
In a moment of nostaligic weaknes . . .

https://youtu.be/LOjSEW09NxE
Old 01-12-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
If you like your 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie, you can keep your 1969 Reggie Jackson rookie. The post war collector can expect an average savings of $2,500 next year on their set building. If I had a son, he would look like Don Mossi.

It's above my pay grade to ever try to tackle the Monster. If they bring a 1963 Pete Rose PSA 9, you bring a T206 Magie. All 60's Topps collectors must have skin in the game. EBay acted stupidly when they found in favor of the seller that sold me a trimmed 1967 Tom Seaver. It was a spontaneous protest caused by an offensive Internet video made by the despicable seller Battlefield6606 that showed them photo shopping a 1968 Johnny Bench with creases and stains. Now begins the fundamental transformation of the Net54 post war section. There is not a smidgen of evidence that any fraud was committed from the shilling of the 1968 Nolan Ryan. I have now been to 57 of the remaining brick and mortar stores that still carry vintage 60's Topps, I have one more to go to.

This, was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Isn't it fo sure?

For me the lines get blurred when it comes to hip hop and rap (Unintended reference to Robin 'I didn't plagiarize the Great Marvin Gaye' Thicke). I guess I just categorize it as good music whether it be 'The Message', 'No Sleep til Brooklyn', 'Naughty By Nature' 'or 'Straight Outta Compton'. I just view it as songs I like but could not say if they would be officially rap or hip hop. It seems a bit easier when it comes to punk, heavy metal, new wave, power pop, etc. Just the opinion from someone whose personal Top 500 (which it typed) includes everything from Paul Anka to PIL.

Thank you for no politics. I work in D.C. and can only say that I am glad I get two extra days off as my building is in the official security zone and closed for two days.
Rap is to hip hop as heavy metal is to rock; a subset.

There is a fantastic documentary series on Netflix about the genesis of hip hop. Goes through the whole East Coast-West Coast thing. The great part is that almost all of the pioneering musicians are still alive and agreed to sit for interviews, so there is very little speculation needed as to what they were thinking, etc.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Sean Costello

Wow, did this thread go off the rails. From Hauls of Shame to presidents to hip hop vs. rap. If this thread is going to continue, could someone please post a pre-war baseball card?
Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Wow, did this thread go off the rails. From Hauls of Shame to presidents to hip hop vs. rap. If this thread is going to continue, could someone please post a pre-war baseball card?
Welcome to the Net54 Salon. The beauty is that the course of the conversation is almost seamless.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-12-2017, 12:04 PM

No offense to the pre-war Gods but this thread in my opinion only got interesting after we starting discussing things related to Nash other than his site. We've discussed his site to death in the past.

Last edited by packs; 01-12-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Illmatic is in my opinion the most influential hip hop album of all time. Whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing is personal opinion, but it seems silly to dismiss something just because you don't like it. I don't like country music. That doesn't diminish Hank Williams or his contribution to it.
That's why I had the winking face on there. I was sort of kidding.

Rap/hip hop really aren't my thing, but I've heard a few songs I like. More if you count Kid Rock and that pretty cool duet with Aerosmith.

I just don't have a very reverent way of looking at music, more goofy than anything. I annoyed my country fan friends by getting into their discussion of how much of the new stuff was still actually country and telling them "Taint country ifn it aint got a jug and washboard" Nope, not a huge country fan either - I've heard more of it that I like, but probably only because it's been around longer.

Steve B
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's why I had the winking face on there. I was sort of kidding.

Rap/hip hop really aren't my thing, but I've heard a few songs I like. More if you count Kid Rock and that pretty cool duet with Aerosmith.

I just don't have a very reverent way of looking at music, more goofy than anything. I annoyed my country fan friends by getting into their discussion of how much of the new stuff was still actually country and telling them "Taint country ifn it aint got a jug and washboard" Nope, not a huge country fan either - I've heard more of it that I like, but probably only because it's been around longer.

Steve B
Reminds me of a country song I used to hear a lot when I was a kid, by David Allen Coe called "You Never Even Call Me By My Name". It has this great bit of dialogue in the middle:

WELL, A FRIEND OF MINE NAMED STEVE GOODMAN WROTE THAT SONG AND HE TOLD ME IT WAS THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG.

I WROTE HIM BACK A LETTER AND I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG BECAUSE HE HADN'T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA, OR TRAINS, OR TRUCKS, OR PRISON, OR GETTIN' DRUNK.

WELL HE SAT DOWN AND WROTE ANOTHER VERSE TO THE SONG AND HE SENT IT TO ME, AND AFTER READING IT, I REALIZED THAT MY FRIEND HAD WRITTEN THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG. AND I FELT OBLIGED TO INCLUDE IT ON THIS ALBUM. THE LAST VERSE GOES LIKE THIS HERE:

WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUP TRUCK SHE GOT RUNNED OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

Now THAT"S country!